Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are you traveling this year?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Chicago to Athens is under $500 a ticket during Spring Break...that's not terrible.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Has anybody been to Germany, specifically Bavaria, specifically Munich, lately?

My wife and I were kicking around the idea of picking up a new car there, then driving/touring the Alps for a couple weeks before dropping it off to ship back to the States. But we weren’t sure of how things were these days with regard to the, ah, recent changes in population demographic in Europe.

I was born in Germany (Dad was a teacher in DoDDS System in K Town, mom was a Nurse at Landstuhl Hospital.) my wife is similar, and oddly enough went to HS in Munich (Bad Tolz). I’ve also been to Hanover (Paderborn) as well as Ramstein AFB for work, so I’m good being in Germany; es ist mein Heimatt.

My second grandson was born shortly before Christmas, less than a year after grandson number one. My son will soon finish his leave, and return to work. On 27 January, I will be retired. So, I will be traveling quite a bit between Bellaire and Nederland, Texas, a 100-mile drive, each way. Yes, the flat SE Texas coastal prairie is rather featureless!

Spring Migration will be a good time for us to photograph birds, without traveling far. My retirement will allow us to go, when the weather is right, rather than to coincide with my weekends. (My wife retired in 2015.) I will probably be buying a better camera, for myself, and a better lens, for my wife.

We have set no itinerary for long trips. We may well scout some rural land that is for sale. I have been writing some things on the calendar, such as the large gun show in April, in Oklahoma, and the Blade Show in Cobb County, just outside Atlanta, Georgia, in June. It would be nice to return to the Natchez Trace Parkway, and the Blue Ridge area.

We may well travel to training events, which are yet to be determined. My wife and I both like to shoot with guns and cameras.

Yes, this is modest. The big stuff will happen, but may not happen this year. My wife speaks Polish, and has a working knowledge of Russian. Eastern Europe, and other parts of Europe, are on the long-term agenda.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-21-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    I plan to travel all across the West this summer working in fire suppression on big wildfires, hopefully after that I can plan other trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Has anybody been to Germany, specifically Bavaria, specifically Munich, lately?

My wife and I were kicking around the idea of picking up a new car there, then driving/touring the Alps for a couple weeks before dropping it off to ship back to the States. But we weren’t sure of how things were these days with regard to the, ah, recent changes in population demographic in Europe.

I was born in Germany (Dad was a teacher in DoDDS System in K Town, mom was a Nurse at Landstuhl Hospital.) my wife is similar, and oddly enough went to HS in Munich (Bad Tolz). I’ve also been to Hanover (Paderborn) as well as Ramstein AFB for work, so I’m good being in Germany; es ist mein Heimatt.
    I spent a weekend in Munich ~4 years ago. It was a bad weekend, but not because of Munich...because of a deplorable set of circumstances that started with a fight on a train...

Over the past 4-years, I've spent, collectively, over 20 weeks in Germany, most of it in southern Germany (Stuttgart and Tubingen) and I wouldn't hesitate to go.

I'm not sure if you're referencing a Muslim or Turkish (or both) sect of migrants. But my experiences in Germany have shown me that it isn't the Turkish that are the real problem...it's some of the Germans (those of whom are obsessed with some quasi-defined idea of national identity). The Turkish immigrants I met in Germany were pretty much all exceedingly polite and hard working. I cannot say the same for the politeness of older Germans...

Probably not going anywhere but the beach for a long weekend this summer; got some upgrades to the house to invest in instead. Wife and I are hoping when we hit the 10 year anniversary in 2 years to leave the kids with the in-laws in Beijing and head down to Taiwan for a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JRCHolsters View Post
    We are thinking about China in the fall. The flights to Beijing are shockingly cheap, even from Boise. Someplace I have always wanted to check out, but figured it was out of reach. The wife said she never wanted to go to Asia(or leave the country for that matter), but after a few vacations abroad, her mind has opened up to interesting places.
    If you decide to go and are interested, let me know and I'd be happy to offer some suggestions on places/restaurants to visit.

Rich, Bayern is still cool. One of my favorites. Work has me more in north Germany these days but I probably will scoot by Frauenhofer on the sly.

For work, I’ll be in the pnw (just got back from YVR/Sea Friday, probably 2 more times), SoCal (3 times), Boston and Newport (3-4 times), DC/md/Philly (3-4 times), Savannah and NoFl, the Republic at least once, NoCal at least once, Pittsburgh, Toronto, PEI, Endicott, Huntsville, ABQ, Boulder, Crane, Carderock, Wright Pat. I will hit Norway three times before June I bet. Germany two or three times, NL, the UK maybe twice, Spain and maybe Portugal, maybe Paris. Maybe Korea but not for sure. I am trying really hard to never go to China again (100 times is enough).

For fun PHX 2-3 times, the State Fair of Texas, maaaybe a week in Maui but it doesn’t look good.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    We're OBX people, having moved from NC when they kids were wee. We get back there every other year or so. Missed out last year due to our usual place still recovering from hurricane flooding. Hopefully we'll be back this year. Kids want to go to Europe however... We'll see.

Took the family to Hawaii last summer. Won't be doing that again soon. We enjoy OBX (and the FL panhandle beaches) way more and for way less cost and travel time. Plus I don't have to disarm when I go to NC or FL and FL panhandle is drivable from here.

I travel a lot for work. Heading to China soon, again. Will probably be in Japan and Italy in late spring. Been a while since my last visits there.
    Might get to a few new places this year. Anybody been to Mauritius?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Does bomb school in New Mexico count?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

I am very optimistic that I will get to travel back to a place where most of the roads are paved this year.

For personal travel, I am hoping to hit Morocco, London, and perhaps the States by Christmas.

For work... It's gonna be a long year.

User Tag List