Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are you traveling this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I’ll be in Little Rock in late March for a three day conference.
    Me too. It's the only travel I have planned for this year

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Walking among the ruins of the original Olympic Games is something that everyone should experience.
    If one is doing Greece it is indeed something to see. I'd add the Oracle at Delphi, Mycenae, and of course the Parthenon.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    If anyone has a favorite lazy, tropical beachy getaway spot, I’m open to ideas... and hopefully there are still things to do because laying on the beach is f’ing boring after the first hour of “Ah yeah” passes.
    Check out the Carambola resort, owned and operated by Marriott, in St Croix, USVI.

We absolutely loved it. It's a very charasmatic island that is pretty sleepy. We like to go places during off-times, so we went in early December before the Xmas holiday crowd came. VERY sleepy....most places close at 9pm, there's virtually no night life. Lots of great places to eat that are really fun to discover. Lots of things to do if you want, as well......a plantation, two of the world's 9 biolumescent bays, some hiking, check out the two small cities of Christiansted and Frederiksted, check out the easternmost point of US territory, some really amazing views, and in general it's just fun to rent a car and explore the island. So there's plenty to do (we went for 9 days), while still being depopulated enough to feel not-too-touristy.

The best meal we've ever had in our life was at a restaurant in St Croix, at the low season staffed by a local chef, a high-school chef apprentice, and a mainland 'expat" as the manager/server. Even besides that place, pretty much everywhere we ate was straight awesome.

Bonuses are that you're still on US territory with most of our protections, and the locals are very friendly without any of the racism/resentment found in Hawaii.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How different is the crowd on a cruise like that vs the typical gulf of Mexico cruise?
    I've honestly never been on any cruise, but my assumptions mirrored Rich's experience. I imagine it's more grown up. Lots of wine taster types. No kids, and if there are then they're fairly behaved and not monsters ruining everybody's time.

I always pictured Caribbean cruises to be full of strung out parents with annoying kids and people whose biggest thrill in life has been a zip-line. Except for our whoa-gay friend, Chris, who's gay-party-cruise pictures are fucking hilarious.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-21-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Personal: Mediterranean cruise hitting Italy, Sicily, Monaco, Spain, and France. Looking to extend by a week and see some other places in Europe....maybe Switzerland, Bavaria, Austria, Czech Republic, or the historical powder-keg of Europe. Maybe we'll just spend an extra week in Spain since the cruise ends there.

Work: Dunno yet, but I'll be overseas probably 1/3-1/2 of the time.
    I thought Prague and Vienna were both awesome. In particular I really liked interacting with the Czech people.

Last year - California (Berkeley/SF), Seattle, Calgary

This year - Albuquerque (maybe twice or even thrice), California (SF/Santa Cruz), Indianapolis, France (Montpelier).

For the France trip, it'll be for work for five days but I'll stretch it into two weeks. The wife will fly out and we'll meet in Marseilles and then either go north to Lyon or west to Toulouse and then up to Paris and leave via CDG back to the States. I'm stoked, it'll be her first time in France. I love France.

And potentially an extended 5-week trip through all of the deserts of the American Southwest with a Desert Ecology Field Course in early Summer.

That doesn't count regular trips back to Texas, which isn't traveling. It's "going home".

Boise for the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Rendezvous then a Cabo trip. Several other regional hunting, fishing, backpacking, and environmental trips planned.

Looking at spending next Christmas at Whistler, just the wife and I.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I'd love to get out to Sedona, AZ this November, to celebrate my 5th wedding anniversary. Let's see if that is in the cards when I look at the leave calendar on Tuesday.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    I'd love to get out to Sedona, AZ this November, to celebrate my 5th wedding anniversary. Let's see if that is in the cards when I look at the leave calendar on Tuesday.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    That place is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Last year - California (Berkeley/SF), Seattle, Calgary

This year - Albuquerque (maybe twice or even thrice), California (SF/Santa Cruz), Indianapolis, France (Montpelier).

For the France trip, it'll be for work for five days but I'll stretch it into two weeks. The wife will fly out and we'll meet in Marseilles and then either go north to Lyon or west to Toulouse and then up to Paris and leave via CDG back to the States. I'm stoked, it'll be her first time in France. I love France.

And potentially an extended 5-week trip through all of the deserts of the American Southwest with a Desert Ecology Field Course in early Summer.

That doesn't count regular trips back to Texas, which isn't traveling. It's "going home".
    If you are by any chance driving to ABQ, try taking a route that will take you through Cloudcroft, White Sands, and the Valley of Fire. On the way out of the Valley of Fire, stop in quaint little San Antonio (little over an hour south of ABQ) for dinner at Buckhorn Tavern......one of the best burgers I've ever had. Their green chile burger (and green chiles in NM, in general) is what turned me on to hot food.

User Tag List