Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are you traveling this year?

Site Supporter
    Sitting in the Dominican Republic headed home after a week.

Anybody doing travel plans in the Midwest region this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Last year the big trip was South Aftrica and neighboring countries.

This year it’s Peru.

My wife is a complete international travel junkie with family and friends everywhere. She’s also going to Australia, Japan, and Korea in two other trips while I am staying home working to pay for our health insurance and travel [emoji1]

On the domestic front, planning to check out Boise and Colorado Springs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    [*]If the kids can't walk all day under their own power, they stay home.
    I figure this means no kid under 5. I realize this is not a popular opinion, but I just don't get what anyone finds fun about strollers, crying, diapers, and all the other associated "baby" problems when at a major theme park. None of the parents or other family members I see enduring this seem to be having any fun, and the kid clearly isn't either, nor is the kid going to have any memory of the trip. Or frankly what they were riding on 30 minutes ago. Our kids are now 7 and 9 and I frankly think we stumbled on the perfect age where they are old enough to remember and enjoy it without causing us extra work, and young enough to still "believe" in all of it.
    When we went last time, our youngest was 4 and the oldest was 9. Thing 2 had a good time, but not as good as Thing 1. Thing 2 was also scared of most of the costumed characters. We laugh about it now (Thing 2 has clear memories). They will be 10 and 15 next year, so no issues there.

[*]Don't do annual passes.
    Being in VA and having school-age kids makes annual passes a no-go for us.

[*]Stay on-property, at a Magic Kingdom hotel if you can.
    Make your reservations at least 90 days out, and maddly grab fast passes 60 days out at 7 AM est. Google this if you don't know what i'm taking about.
    [*]Get the dining pass.
    It's just easier, even though it probably doesn't save you any money. For me, it made planning the meals a little easier.
    That's the plan and what we did last year.

[*]Have dinner at the California Grille on top of the Contemporary at least once in your life and stay for the fireworks.
    It's unbelievable.
    We'll keep that in mind. Last time, we saw the fireworks from the street level.

[*]The Safari ride at Animal Kingdom is the best ride in the any of the parks.
    You need to go on it at least once in the day, and once in the dark.
    We did the daytime ride last time, but I'll keep a night ride in mind.

[*]You can't drink in the Magic Kingdom.
    Plan accordingly.
    Wife doesn't drink and I'm a light drinker, so it's not a huge issue for us.

Chris

Does driving across the state to TacCon count?

Laying low this year, aside from work travel regionally. Sort of have a chubby for Iceland though... should probably scratch the itch while Icelandair flights are still subsidized.

Hopefully back to Alaska in Aug. Depends on how much leave time I burn with the bum leg.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I think we're staying stateside this year. TX in the spring, FL in the fall. Unless I find a smoking deal on airfare, it'll be 2019 before we go abroad again.
    What part of Texas?

I'm looking at the ocean and eating Mexican food at this very moment.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Personal: Mediterranean cruise hitting Italy, Sicily, Monaco, Spain, and France. Looking to extend by a week and see some other places in Europe....maybe Switzerland, Bavaria, Austria, Czech Republic, or the historical powder-keg of Europe. Maybe we'll just spend an extra week in Spain since the cruise ends there.

Work: Dunno yet, but I'll be overseas probably 1/3-1/2 of the time.
    How different is the crowd on a cruise like that vs the typical gulf of Mexico cruise?

Where are you traveling this year?

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post

If anyone has a favorite lazy, tropical beachy getaway spot, I’m open to ideas... and hopefully there are still things to do because laying on the beach is f’ing boring after the first hour of “Ah yeah” passes.
    Bonaire.

Cayman Islands.

Curaçao.

Turks and Caicos.

These would be my faves. It may or not have to do with the Scuba Diving, of course. [emoji41]
    Last edited by RJ; 01-21-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How different is the crowd on a cruise like that vs the typical gulf of Mexico cruise?
    I did an Eastern Med Cruise once, left out of Athens and out of Venice. Visited Greece, Rhodes, Istanbul, cruised the Bosporus, etc.

I found generally more upmarket European; Brits, Germans, Swiss, Swedes, Russians, Ukrainians, etc. etc. Elevator rides are more, ah, multilingual lol. Most everyone at this price point speaks some English, or at least some. Learning a bit of French, German, Spanish or even Russian might not be a bad idea.

Lots of black clothes. Much lower rate of Yuge DSLRs, and almost no shorts or Hawaiian shirts. Few fanny packs (bum bags in the UK).

It was a lot of fun though.

Walking among the ruins of the original Olympic Games is something that everyone should experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Sitting in the Dominican Republic headed home after a week.

Anybody doing travel plans in the Midwest region this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ll be in Little Rock in late March for a three day conference.

User Tag List