Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are you traveling this year?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Awesome! If I may ask, why are you going? Who are you going with?

How long will you be there?

It's for pleasure. A surprise birthday treat for my wife's best friend; will be 2 couples, for 5 days plus travel time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Annoying, a significant distribution from a post-retirement account fund was not direct-deposited today, but is apparently being sent by SNAIL MAIL. After that check arrives, and clears, we may do one or more road trips to look at RVs and boats.
    I bought a travel trailer in April and it has been great! Next trip is the Apple Harvest Festival in Gettysburg, PA sometime in October.

Regarding Tokyo, I love that city. In the summer walking out of Narita is like a blast furnace. But yeah, say SU MI MA SEN (excuse me) and most folks will help you out. Don't forget the beer, iced coffee, or underwear in the vending machines! What a country!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's for pleasure. A surprise birthday treat for my wife's best friend; will be 2 couples, for 5 days plus travel time.
    Do any of you speak Spanish ? Know anyone in Mexico City? (aka D.F. and CDMX)

Any idea what kind of transportation you will use?

The pyramids in Estado de Mexico are mind blowing. They were built over 1000 years before the Aztecs found them. It's mysterious and creepy at the same time.

The old Aztec canals on Xochimilco are fun. Safe? It's Mexico , but it's fun.

The luchador (wrestling) matches are fun, funny and the crowd gets into it. Plus the dancers are not bad either. It's in a rougher area , so take the tourist bus specifically for the matches. You even get a wrestling mask. lol

Lots of awesome museums, and I can't wait to see more of them.

You have to visit the Zocalo, The main square.

Depending on what area you plan to stay in, I can recommend food.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Do any of you speak Spanish ? Know anyone in Mexico City? (aka D.F. and CDMX)

Any idea what kind of transportation you will use?

Depending on what area you plan to stay in, I can recommend food.
    My wife knows some Spanish (has actually gotten addicted to watching some Mexican soap opera is show every night for the last few weeks) and picks up languages like lightning. The rest of us suck
    On transportation, we just know we won't be driving ourselves. We were guessing Colonia Centro, but we're definitely open for suggestions on both what area to stay in and on transportation. We'd consider hiring a car + driver for a day if that made sense.

A free state (AZ) in a few weeks .

Went to santa fe a few weeks ago. First time in the southwest. Very cool city if you like art and architecture.

We also drove to Bandelier national monument which was definitely one of the most unique places I have been to. The hiking trails take you around the old Pueblo houses built into the rock cliffs and ladders let you climb up and crawl into the remains.

I'm taking the family on a week-long winter vacation to Nassau, Bahamas in the coming weeks. Anything I should do/see? The wife wants to go to the Atlantis water park for a day.

Site Supporter

Any Iceland or Scotland info?

Eh, I already feel like I'm trying to turn this into the "Pistols and Travel" forum, so didn't want to open another thread. Anyone have any advice on travel to either Iceland or Scotland? I'm headed there in the summer.

Already asked the Scotland question in the Scotch thread, but this is probably a better place.

@TR675, when I googled around I saw you have been motorcycling in Iceland. Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Eh, I already feel like I'm trying to turn this into the "Pistols and Travel" forum, so didn't want to open another thread. Anyone have any advice on travel to either Iceland or Scotland? I'm headed there in the summer.

Already asked the Scotland question in the Scotch thread, but this is probably a better place.

@TR675, when I googled around I saw you have been motorcycling in Iceland. Any input?
    It’s been 10 years since I was there so my info is out of date. I understand it’s gotten a lot busier since I was there. We had a guide which was good, it’s easy to get lost in the middle of the country which is basically wasteland. The best views I saw were around the southern ring road. Check out the glaciers and geysers too. The Blue Lagoon is a cool tourist trap but save it for the last day. If you get around a bit there are natural hot springs in the interior.

If you fish there is good salmon and trout fishing. Sorry if this is generic but we were all over the map and riding 12 hours a day. Saw a lot of cool stuff but it was hard to pay attention tired as we were.

My wife wants to go to Key West sometime and snorkel. Any suggestions? We will have 3 teenagers with us.

User Tag List