Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are you traveling this year?

Site Supporter

Where are you traveling this year?

I'm sitting in DFW Airport at the moment waiting for a flight to Cancun, Mexico.

Do you have any major travel plans this year?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I'm sitting in DFW Airport at the moment waiting for a flight to Cancun, Mexico.

Do you have any major travel plans this year?
    Wish we did. Went to Ireland last year for our 10th anniversary and had a great time, but with my wife's medical stuff (hospital stay and testing we just finished, and upcoming probable brain surgery) eating up this year's discretionary funds and time off, we're looking at maybe a short road trip to somewhere like Charleston or Asheville or something. Maybe we'll even take our son.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Last year was the biggest travel year for me on record - 7 or 8 work out of state work trips plus a week in South Africa and a week in London.

This year I don’t wanna go anywhere

On the other hand, we will roll over 15 on the marriage odometer this year and I’ve promised we’ll do something special.

My wife’s hopes have been set on Hawaii so it’s the most likely culprit but there are a few others in the running. After the recent trips being very busy this one needs to be more chill.

I’m leery of committing until i know the status of my (potential) annual bonus as I don’t want to derail other financial plans in the name of a vacation, and it will help determine what we’re willing to spend.

If anyone has a favorite lazy, tropical beachy getaway spot, I’m open to ideas... and hopefully there are still things to do because laying on the beach is f’ing boring after the first hour of “Ah yeah” passes.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Had I not met my wife, I frankly would have probably never left the state, let alone the country. I didn't have a passport, and didn't plan on ever getting one. My idea of a vacation was to go to a 3-day shooting class or a major match, and then go visit friends a couple hours drive away from time to time.

She, on the other hand, is a travel/vacation junkie. I still could take or leave it but I love going on these trips and things with her and the girls.

We already have plans to go to Seattle this summer (and she and the girls will go on to San Fran & LA for ten days after that), the Newport Folk Festival (an annual tradition for her and I, far less hippie than you'd think) and we're talking about... some sort of ski place after new years. Breckenridge.. Jackson Hole... I dunno. Sounds crazy to me but a lot of them are already booked up.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    If anyone has a favorite lazy, tropical beachy getaway spot, I’m open to ideas... and hopefully there are still things to do because laying on the beach is f’ing boring after the first hour of “Ah yeah” passes.
    There's always Lake Eufaula! (As for me, I'm probably going to hell in a handbasket!)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

We are thinking about China in the fall. The flights to Beijing are shockingly cheap, even from Boise. Someplace I have always wanted to check out, but figured it was out of reach. The wife said she never wanted to go to Asia(or leave the country for that matter), but after a few vacations abroad, her mind has opened up to interesting places.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Site Supporter
    We typically go to OBX or the WestNC/EastTN mountains. Last year, for something different, we went to NYC. We had a good time. The kids have never been in a city of that scale, so it was an experience for them. We took the train (much more convenient for us than flying or driving), which in of itself was a treat. We saw the main tourist traps, ate good food, and did some shopping. Just observing the "human zoo" that NYC is was fun.

We did Disney 5 years ago and the family is again talking about it. I'm trying to talk them out of doing a big trip this year and instead putting that money towards Disney for next year. The plan is to splurge and stay at the Animal Kingdom hotel so we can see the critters from the hotel balcony.

If we do that, then we'll probably do a "long weekend" kind of trip. Where, I don't know yet.

Chris

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I think we're staying stateside this year. TX in the spring, FL in the fall. Unless I find a smoking deal on airfare, it'll be 2019 before we go abroad again.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Personal: Mediterranean cruise hitting Italy, Sicily, Monaco, Spain, and France. Looking to extend by a week and see some other places in Europe....maybe Switzerland, Bavaria, Austria, Czech Republic, or the historical powder-keg of Europe. Maybe we'll just spend an extra week in Spain since the cruise ends there.

Work: Dunno yet, but I'll be overseas probably 1/3-1/2 of the time.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    We did Disney 5 years ago and the family is again talking about it. I'm trying to talk them out of doing a big trip this year and instead putting that money towards Disney for next year. The plan is to splurge and stay at the Animal Kingdom hotel so we can see the critters from the hotel balcony.
    We had annual passes this past year. We went a lot, and the wife and girls went without me even more. We started out last January with our inaugural trip staying at the Wilderness Lodge. We did one big final flow-out trip earlier this month, stayed at the Contemporary, went the "money no option" route.

It was phenomenal.

These are my main takeaway bits of advice for anyone going to Disney.

1. If the kids can't walk all day under their own power, they stay home.
      I figure this means no kid under 5. I realize this is not a popular opinion, but I just don't get what anyone finds fun about strollers, crying, diapers, and all the other associated "baby" problems when at a major theme park. None of the parents or other family members I see enduring this seem to be having any fun, and the kid clearly isn't either, nor is the kid going to have any memory of the trip. Or frankly what they were riding on 30 minutes ago. Our kids are now 7 and 9 and I frankly think we stumbled on the perfect age where they are old enough to remember and enjoy it without causing us extra work, and young enough to still "believe" in all of it.

2. Don't do annual passes.
      While it was a "magical" year for our family, I rarely got to go and I kind of feel like the repeated trips cheapened things a bit for the girls and made it less special. I would have rather spent all that money we dropped this past year on one massive mega disney trip.

3. Stay on-property, at a Magic Kingdom hotel if you can.
      Make your reservations at least 90 days out, and maddly grab fast passes 60 days out at 7 AM est. Google this if you don't know what i'm taking about.

4. Get the dining pass.
      It's just easier, even though it probably doesn't save you any money. For me, it made planning the meals a little easier.

5. Have dinner at the California Grille on top of the Contemporary at least once in your life and stay for the fireworks.
      It's unbelievable.

6. The Safari ride at Animal Kingdom is the best ride in the any of the parks.
      You need to go on it at least once in the day, and once in the dark.

7. You can't drink in the Magic Kingdom.
      Plan accordingly.

User Tag List