Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are you traveling this year?

Family vacation to the Kittyhawk, NC area for a week during the summer. Hitting D.C. for a couple days on the way home. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Guerrero; 05-22-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Family vacation to the Kittyhawk, NC area for a week during the summer. Hitting D.C. for a couple days on the way home. Any suggestions?
    For Kitty Hawk or DC or both?

Kitty Hawk: Wright Bros Memorial, Hatteras Lighthouse, road trip to Ocracoke, NC Aquarium, and fishing (the piers can be productive at times).
    DC: Smithsonian museums on the Mall, Udvar Hazy Air+Space museum at Dulles, NRA Museum.

ETA: At OBX, check out The Elizabethan Gardens on Manteo as well as the Lost Colony play. At the place where they show the Lost Colony, they have kid-oriented live shows during the day that are more entertaining than you'd expect.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 05-22-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    http://www.sooeysbbq.com/sooeys-famo...-in-nags-head/

Just north of Kitty Hawy Kites.... Be sure to get the pulled pork and the cornbread. And the cornbread.

Across the street is the Wright Brothers memorial. Worth an hour or so.

Drive south an hour (probably more like 90 minutes) and climb the lighthouse. Hatteras is the best of them, IMO. Make a day of it. Drive down, take the ferry to Ocracoke, visit and have lunch, hit the lighthouse tour on the way back north.
    https://www.outerbanks.org/listing/c...ighthouse/248/

Several good marinas nearby... Deep sea fishing is great from there... Worst case, grab a spot on a party boat and do a half day near-in. Lots of good eating fish to be caught not far off shore.

Hoping to get to OBX later this summer myself..

If you are doing a traditional rental, you should, if possible, do your grocery shopping nearby whatever airport you're flying into and haul at least a few days of groceries with you to check in. Grocery stores are MADNESS on OBX Saturday and Sunday during the season. Prices are higher as well, although not usury. There's a wal-mart a few miles north on 12 as well, for all the tings you forgot to bring or find yourself needing.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 05-22-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Just returned from DC and NoCal. DC, land of suits, ties, large black SUV's and panhandlers. So in DC inputting Northrup Grumman into Google maps for directions. Silly me, about 20 buildings come up, so I put in the exact address. Good grief. Back on a plane Friday. Time for a bit of vacation mixed with work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Just returned from DC and NoCal. DC, land of suits, ties, large black SUV's and panhandlers. So in DC inputting Northrup Grumman into Google maps for directions. Silly me, about 20 buildings come up, so I put in the exact address. Good grief. Back on a plane Friday. Time for a bit of vacation mixed with work.
    I have never been to DC. Is it worth seeing once?

I'm not really a big city guy but part of me feels obligated to go as an American.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

I'm not really a big city guy but part of me feels obligated to go as an American.
    Absolutely yes.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Going to Japan in a month with some friends from college. Vegas later this year for a bachelor party.

Belgium and Netherlands next year for a ww1/ww2 specific trip. Already did ww1/ww2 sites in France in 2016

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I feel like a poor POS. Never been outside CONUS, never really thought about it. We drive to Nashville a couple times a year, got family and friends all over TX, and get to Florida 2-3 times a year. Imagine a triangle from St Louis to San Antonio to Miami. That's pretty much my area.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    I feel like a poor POS. Never been outside CONUS, never really thought about it. We drive to Nashville a couple times a year, got family and friends all over TX, and get to Florida 2-3 times a year. Imagine a triangle from St Louis to San Antonio to Miami. That's pretty much my area.
    Except for my honeymoon, all of my travel outside of CONUS has been for work. Canada and UK only so far for work. Honeymoon was Mexico (just before 9/11, before it really went to shit).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

Absolutely worth it. I am a country boy at heart but have been in Big Cities most of my adult life. Unfortunately, I spent the majority of my trip in buildings, with one day at a gathering in the Maryland countryside, so that was a nice thing to get outside of offices and the city. While I find the need to travel to DC for business increasing, I definitely plan on taking my family so they can see the history first hand. If you are remotely moved by American history it is an absolute must see.

User Tag List