Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Where are you traveling this year?

Haven't traveled anywhere in the past couple years beyond some car trips to the beach, but will be doing some international travel this year. Need to head back to Beijing to see friends and family and have some good friends stationed in Paris we've been meaning to visit. That said, the limits of my sanity may be reached after one iteration of stuffing a 2 and 4 year old into a metal tube for 10+ hours at a time so the Paris trip may have to wait until 2020.

May be a long shot: has anyone done a Lake Como in Italy trip or something along those lines? Wife and I are looking to do something like a northern Italy/Switzerland trip in the 12 day timeframe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    You must have a phenomenal immune system.

-Take a daily zinc tablet on travel days. -Regularly use those hand sanitizing gels. -Always use sanitizing wipes on your seat tray and arm rests(they are never cleaned). -Dont touch your face.

That's my strategy for avoiding getting sick when traveling.

Where are you traveling this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I have been to Key West one time but I don't remember a whole lot about it. Back about 1967 or so a couple of buddies and I went to Fort Lauderdale for spring break. Turns out we were a week too late. LOL We decided to drive to Key West because we could. We were on our way back and it was my turn to drive. I was white knuckling it across the old 2 lane 7 mile bridge at 50 MPH when a Greyhound pulled out and passed me running about 70. Scared me almost to death. I guess they have a better bridge now.
    Bill

If you are looking for good snorkeling and maybe not so much night life, John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is in Key Largo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P...eef_State_Park

We’ve stayed several times at various hotels in Key Largo on scuba trips. We like that part of the Upper Keys a lot.

Docs Diner is a real winner:

https://g.co/kgs/4kL1w6
    Last edited by RJ; 01-22-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Bill

If you are looking for good snorkeling and maybe not so much night life, John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is in Key Largo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P...eef_State_Park

We’ve stayed several times at various hotels in Key Largo on scuba trips. We like that part of the Upper Keys a lot.

Docs Diner is a real winner:

https://g.co/kgs/4kL1w6
    Rich, thanks. That's some really good info.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    May be a long shot: has anyone done a Lake Como in Italy trip or something along those lines? Wife and I are looking to do something like a northern Italy/Switzerland trip in the 12 day timeframe.

This worked well for us:
    -Fly into Milan. Prebook a tour to the Duomo (cathedral and rooftop) plus the last supper. Don’t spend a lot of time in Milan though.

-A possible side trip would be Bergamo.

-Train to Varena, then ferry / boat to the towns around Lake Cuomo like Bellagio, Mennagio, Lenno, and Cuomo. We ran out of time for Switzerland; were wanting to check out Lugano.

We did a separate trip into Switzerland that was fantastic including Zurich, Lucerne, the Jungfrauoch, Interlaken, and Geneva; but that was a pretty big trip all by itself.

Edited to clarify Milan, plus: Swiss trains are a wonder of the modern world. I greatly prefer Swiss efficiency to Italian chaos, with an exception for Pizza pistols.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-22-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This worked well for us:
    -Fly into Milan. Prebook a tour to the Duomo (cathedral and rooftop) plus the last supper. Don’t spend a lot of time in Milan though.

-A possible side trip would be Bergamo.

-Train to Varena, then ferry / boat to the towns around Lake Cuomo like Bellagio, Mennagio, Lenno, and Cuomo. We ran out of time for Switzerland; were wanting to check out Lugano.

We did a separate trip into Switzerland that was fantastic including Zurich, Lucerne, the Jungfrauoch, Interlaken, and Geneva; but that was a pretty big trip all by itself.

Edited to clarify Milan, plus: Swiss trains are a wonder of the modern world. I greatly prefer Swiss efficiency to Italian chaos, with an exception for Pizza pistols.
    I like the sound of this.

Have you been to Florence? I’m told that is a good Art and Architecture destination?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I like the sound of this.

Have you been to Florence? I’m told that is a good Art and Architecture destination?

My daughter got married in a little village on the outskirts of Florence, so we have been there several times. It was at a beautiful winery called Castillle de Vicchionaggio.

Wife and daughter totally love Florence. I got my fill of the city before they did, maybe because of a limited tolerance for art plus I’m not really a city boy. I loved the area though, many people say Napa / Sonoma in California reminds them of the Florence area.

If you have specific questions fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    My daughter got married in a little village on the outskirts of Florence, so we have been there several times. It was at a beautiful winery called Castillle de Vicchionaggio.

Wife and daughter totally love Florence. I got my fill of the city before they did, maybe because of a limited tolerance for art plus I’m not really a city boy. I loved the area though, many people say Napa / Sonoma in California reminds them of the Florence area.

If you have specific questions fire away.
    Thanks. I’ll get back to ya.

(Mrs. went there as a teenager; I was in the School of Architecture for a semester before switching to Engineering. She said it’s an awesome place, and I really like old buildings. We are pondering a visit in a few years. )

Last edited by RJ; 01-22-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    Rich, wife and I did Venice - Florence - Rome this year, 3 days each, very nice

User Tag List