Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is steel cased ammo a bad idea?

Is steel cased ammo a bad idea?

Took my new HK P30 SK 9mm to the range today along with 200 rounds of Federal Aluminum and 100 Rounds of steel cased Tul Ammo. I was skeptical of the steel but I let someone talk me into it. The Federals all worked flawlessly, the Tul Ammo did not. Third fired round of the steel failed to eject and locked the gun down. I had to get range help and a VERY LARGE rubber hammer to hammer the slide loose. The case was still stuck in the chamber and he got another tool to pry it out. I finished the Tul by hand loading them into the chamber one at a time until they were used up. My first and only experience with cheap ammo has left a bad taste in my mouth.

So is steel a bad idea? Or was it just cheap ammo? Or both?

I only carry Federal HST.

IME, steel cased ammunition performs poorly in HK handguns. Shoots fine in my 9mm Glocks and PX4s, but I'd stick with brass in HKs.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Steel is less than ideal across the board. It's cheap and runs in a lot of firearms, thus it's popular.

Brass ammo is already cheap and the casings can be reused or sold, so I use them instead. You spent a bundle on a nice HK, put non-Russian level ammo through it
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    No, it's not a bad idea, but some of it sucks, and it isn't compatible with all guns. Light strikes and dud rounds seem to occur more frequently with Russian steel case ammo than all other sources and types combined.

I had a rifle in 7.62x54R that I had to clean the chamber carefully, because the varnish on the issue steel-case ammo I used would build up in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    The P30 stepped chamber is known to not work with steel cased ammo. And, FWIW, the manual does specifically say not to use it.

Also, like TYR, I’ve not had any problems with steel cased ammo in my Glocks.
    Thank you! I went back and reread page 18 of the manual and I completely missed the BOLD RED LETTERED WARNING. I was surprised they mentioned aluminum as well.

Site Supporter
    Though not directly related to the post, some steel cased WW2 and Korean War era .45 acp ammo was used. Extra wear on the extractor was observed in 1911's.

Steel-cased stuff works fine in certain guns and certain kinds of guns.

For instance, in 9mm ARs and/or Ruger P-series 9mms. It tends to run for...ever...really, in those guns. The P30 is a specific can of worms in this regard, but otherwise is a great gun.

I bought several thousands rounds of Tul back during the ~2012'ish ammo crunch for a song really (~6 bucks a box). It's all reserved as practice/plinking ammo for guns that don't mind eating it and that's precisely what I use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Also, like TYR, I’ve not had any problems with steel cased ammo in my Glocks.
    That might not be the case with the Gen 5. I've shot a lot of steel case ammo in Gen 2-4 19's, and the only problem I've ever had is that some of those hard Russian primers wouldn't fire.

However, with my Gen 5 19 I had a round of Brown Bear not fire and neither I nor several others could get the round to eject. I had to take it home and gently tap it open while the grip was in a vise.

Maybe it was just a one time thing, but I'm wondering if the new rifling in the Gen 5 makes steel case ammo less advisable? For myself I will continue to use steel in my Gen 4's when range rules allow, but not in the Gen 5.
    Last edited by Jeep; 01-20-2018 at 09:57 PM.

My P30LS had no issues with 1000 rounds of Brown Bear 115 gr., but would constantly have stuck chambers with Monarch 115 gr., which I find mildly unusual, given that both brands come out of the Barnaul Cartridge Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Though not directly related to the post, some steel cased WW2 and Korean War era .45 acp ammo was used. Extra wear on the extractor was observed in 1911's.
    Citation?

The steal used in steal cased ammo is very soft.

User Tag List