Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New PPQ sub compact

Felt recoil, assuming we are not talking Scandium 329 .44 Magnum level pain is largely irrelevant to me, assuming the timer is saying good things. I have done a bunch of my best pure technical shooting with a PPQ/Q5, and I have no issue with the trigger weight, reset or pre-travel, as a carry gun. I have a big problem with the relative ease the striker unintentionally releases on the PPQ, saved only by the firing pin block safety. That is a disqualifying characteristic to me for EDC.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    The paddle market in the USA is a tiny % of total sales, probably less than 1% of total pistol sales. I rarely see a pistol with a paddle.
    That's me- A tiny segment of the market. I don't buy Glocks, my Jeep has a manual transmission and my ARs have carbon fiber handguards with no rails.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-20-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

The one percenter's club. I knew I'd make it in eventually. Paddle or not, this subcompact is long overdue.

Two bad the M1/M2 mags aren't interchangeable. I'd happily sacrifice an M1 for sawing off the grip like some do with the Glocks.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Two bad the M1/M2 mags aren't interchangeable. I'd happily sacrifice an M1 for sawing off the grip like some do with the Glocks.
    Latest generation P99 Compact magazines will work in a chopped PPQ M1.
    Early generation P99 mags will work as well but sometimes need the top front lowered a few thousandths of an inch because the PPQ has a slightly longer feed ramp that will bump the magazine on unlock.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have no hard data, but I would bet 5 PF dollars, a surprisingly high percentage of PPQ pistols get enjoyed by their owners on the range and don’t get carried at all.

As I have learned more about the design characteristics of pistols over the years, my carry guns fall into two buckets — Glock or hammer.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one consistently coming to that conclusion. I'm not huge Glock fan, I even actively try to find reasons to kick 'em out of my holster and replace with something else, but there it is. That 19 in a JM on my side right now...

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    With just a few very slight modifications (do away with the backstrap lockout bullshit and remove the useless rail) the Walther PPS M1 could be the perfect CCW IMO.
    The dopey backstrap on my PPS M1 has not bothered me a bit. I picked the one that best fit me six years ago when I purchased it and it hasn't been off since. I would add a grip sleeve if I was worried about it popping off. The rail is indeed useless but doesn't get in the way either.

PPQ M1 and PPS M1 - love the paddles!

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    The SC's recoil characteristics should be... interesting.
    Ever shot a P99c? This is essentially the same gun, just with the DA first shot removed and some cosmetic differences. Recoil should be basically identical. If that doesn't help, then I suppose a comparison to the ubiquitous G26 is in order. I haven't shot them side by side, but the P99c/PPQ SC is almost exactly the same size and weight as a G26, fires the same cartridge, and has a slightly higher bore axis. That probably means that it'll have a little bit more muzzle flip and/or slightly snappier recoil, but as GJM and JodyH said, it's not like we're talking about a magnum-caliber J-frame; the recoil should be manageable, presuming reasonable grip strength and technique.

I never noticed the "flippiness" of the PPQ until I shot it side by side with other pistols. It is there but I don't think it is a problem with shooting effectively, its just a different feel and shooting dynamic. My wife noticed it more and was a bit more bothered by it. You'll notice some people complain about it and some don't notice it all. YMMV.
    Last edited by FPS; 01-21-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The dopey backstrap on my PPS M1 has not bothered me a bit. I picked the one that best fit me six years ago when I purchased it and it hasn't been off since. I would add a grip sleeve if I was worried about it popping off. The rail is indeed useless but doesn't get in the way either.

PPQ M1 and PPS M1 - love the paddles!
    Backstrap doesn't bother me a bit. I guess it could be considered Murphy potential, but I'm not concerned about it. Absolutely prefer the paddle release. The *only* real complaint I have about the PPS M1 is -- the protruding vampire fangs on the mags. Damn, those can be painful, take some getting used to in a a mag pouch, and can snag if not handled well between pouch and clearing the body.

PPQ M2 has that bulge of plastic for accommodating the button. That really changes the feel of the pistol for me. The CCP was pretty comfortable even with the button though I didn't care much for anything else about it. I'm definitely looking forward to shooting the SC. If it's remotely comparable I'll have to bring one home.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    ...the recoil should be manageable, presuming reasonable grip strength and technique.
    Bingo. That last part is what some people forget.

Everyone knows the PPQ's snappy nature. In a smaller, lighter package? We'll see what Walther has to offer. I'll be looking at magazine compatibility, G27 recoil analog? and any value engineering. Worst case - there are other pistols to choose from.

No P99c experience, just 4" PPQs and a PPS. The Sprinco PPQ RSA helps with felt recoil.

User Tag List