Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New PPQ sub compact

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    If we could only get people to buy decent holsters....We all know a majority of those PPQ’s sold will be carried in crap holsters if a holster is used at all.
    I have no hard data, but I would bet 5 PF dollars, a surprisingly high percentage of PPQ pistols get enjoyed by their owners on the range and don’t get carried at all.

As I have learned more about the design characteristics of pistols over the years, my carry guns fall into two buckets — Glock or hammer.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    BTW: I rarely carry a reload CCW, and speed reloads are way down my list of things I give a shit about when it comes to a carry pistol.
    So my opinion on mag releases is probably going to be different than other peoples.
    Sounds like you should go full Eurotrash heel release. I am with you and DB on not wanting unintentional mag drops, which is why I don't use extended button mag releases.

It's not the same sort of paddle as PPS/PPQ/USP/etc, but I used P7s for years and actually liked that design. It was the most ergonomic thing on a decidely un-ergonomic (M13) pistol. I wanted to love the first PPS, but the paddle was designed by the same sick kraut that did the MP5 selector, meaning that it was way too much fuck around to get it to work. On larger pistols it's not a problem.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Sounds like you should go full Eurotrash heel release. I am with you and DB on not wanting unintentional mag drops, which is why I don't use extended button mag releases.

It's not the same sort of paddle as PPS/PPQ/USP/etc, but I used P7s for years and actually liked that design. It was the most ergonomic thing on a decidely un-ergonomic (M13) pistol. I wanted to love the first PPS, but the paddle was designed by the same sick kraut that did the MP5 selector, meaning that it was way too much fuck around to get it to work. On larger pistols it's not a problem.
    My deep concealment gun for many years was a Commercial P7 with the heel release. Working Vice and later some other cool stuff, that gun never lost a magazine, and it was often stuffed in places where losing a magazine was normal for many of our dope and UC guys. I also carried a SIG P230 for a lot of years in an upside down ankle rig while working some of the busiest periods of My cop career and also never had an issue.
    Meanwhile, my brand spanking new awesome sauce Wilson CenTac popped a magazine day one in the fanny pack. I am building another compact lower for it. On game and training days, I ll run the full size lower with the extended mag release. For actual concealed carry and fanny pack carry....the M9A1 Compact lower with a standard release.
    I can total see GJM's points for performance shooting guns. For deep concealment guns, I want the most secure method I can get with magazine retention in the gun. I am not familiar enough with how Walther did theirs to make a real call on it, but one of the biggest pluses for me on the HK's is their magazine release paddles. I use my index finger. If I was training newbies with no experience, the finger in index and middle finger release would be an option.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I am not familiar enough with how Walther did theirs to make a real call on it, but one of the biggest pluses for me on the HK's is their magazine release paddles.
    Walther uses very long narrow paddles.
    You's think the added leverage would make things easier, but the narrow profile negates that.
    The really good thing is, with a holster that wraps around the back of the trigger guard the paddles are secured in a manner where it's impossible for them to be accidentally activated.
    The short stubby H&K paddles still have room in most holsters for accidental activation.

With just a few very slight modifications (do away with the backstrap lockout bullshit and remove the useless rail) the Walther PPS M1 could be the perfect CCW IMO.
    Same with this PPQ SC, give me just a few trigger tweaks (assuming the trigger is like the full sized) and paddle releases and it'd probably replace my VP9SK.

I've been a Walther fan since the P99 came out.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Hammertime
    P99 AS addresses the mag drop issue, and the striker fall issue.

I will keep a PPQ as a range gun. But agree with GJM on the Glock, Hammer, or P99as for carry.

The SC's recoil characteristics should be... interesting.
    Last edited by schüler; 01-20-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    The SC's recoil characteristics should be... interesting.
    I don't get the people who talk about how "snappy" a PPQ is, it's a full sized polymer 9mm for crying out loud not a Scandium .500S&W.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

The PPQ M1 still holds my highest Hack Standard score while timed by a 3rd party. I shot it cold and hadn't fired the PPQ for about a week before. I always wanted a compact with a paddle release.

PPQ still has my favorite polymer trigger because of the overtravel characteristics.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 01-20-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Growing up using the thumb button mag release deeply ingrained it's use in my instinctual muscle memory. 30 seconds working the paddle release on the PPQ with my trigger finger completely destroyed that muscle memory. Now, when shooting a button mag release pistol, I find I'm looking for paddles that aren't there. I find the motion to release the PPQ mag is very close to the motion used to release an AR mag. I think Walther took a step backwards when they moved away from paddle releases.

I have been carrying a PPQ for a few years now and there are no handguns that I like as much. If Walther would introduce the PPQ SC with the paddle release, it would be the perfect companion piece to my PPQ for those times when carrying a smaller handgun is more appropriate.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Growing up using the thumb button mag release deeply ingrained it's use in my instinctual muscle memory. 30 seconds working the paddle release on the PPQ with my trigger finger completely destroyed that muscle memory. Now, when shooting a button mag release pistol, I find I'm looking for paddles that aren't there. I find the motion to release the PPQ mag is very close to the motion used to release an AR mag. I think Walther took a step backwards when they moved away from paddle releases.

I have been carrying a PPQ for a few years now and there are no handguns that I like as much. If Walther would introduce the PPQ SC with the paddle release, it would be the perfect companion piece to my PPQ for those times when carrying a smaller handgun is more appropriate.
    The paddle market in the USA is a tiny % of total sales, probably less than 1% of total pistol sales. I rarely see a pistol with a paddle.

User Tag List