Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New PPQ sub compact

I bet the PPQ SC was brought out to compete with the VP9/VP9SK for German Polizei contracts.
    I've seen where a lot of them require a full size and a compact.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-19-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Regarding the paddle release, I have always found that using my middle finger to hit the paddle is more consistent,faster, easier, and I can keep my trigger finger in register.

I strongly prefer the larger HK paddle release on the p30 and such.

Ditto on paddle love. A vast majority of malfunctions and issues I saw in actual field shooting malfunctions and on the range could be traced directly to an unseated magazine. The one gun I never saw it with.....out USP’s. That would be called a clue. Game fun....whatever needs to be fast for the “planned” reload. For the field where the reload is a surprise and unplanned event...I ll take the paddle all day.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I guess I'm the outlier on this one. I use my trigger finger on my Walther paddle releases, and I like it that way; if my finger is on the paddle, it can't be on the trigger. Yes, it's close by, but definitely not in contact, and the direction of motion is different than would be required to pull the trigger. Also, I've tried the middle finger thing, and even apart from the fact that I don't like breaking my grip that way, I just can't make it not feel awkward. Maybe my hand geometry is just wrong or something...?

On a separate note, I'm surprised it took Walther this long to come out with this gun; after all, in most respects, PPQ = P99, and this PPQ SC = P99c the same way. It's not like they had to come up with new mags or something else actually new, apart from cutting the M2 button release notch in P99c mags instead of the paddle release notch. It's also mildly surprising they didn't call it the PPQc, but I guess changes of naming convention are their prerogative.
    Last edited by olstyn; 01-19-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Ditto on paddle love. A vast majority of malfunctions and issues I saw in actual field shooting malfunctions and on the range could be traced directly to an unseated magazine. The one gun I never saw it with.....out USP’s. That would be called a clue. Game fun....whatever needs to be fast for the “planned” reload. For the field where the reload is a surprise and unplanned event...I ll take the paddle all day.
    As to inadvertent magazine releases, I think it boils down to checking your specific holster and your specific pistol. I have had instances of the magazine coming out with an HK when the holster was improperly molded, or I have added extended paddles on a USP C, or when I have used a P30 (or was it an HK45C) in a USP holster that otherwise fit the different pistol.

I almost exclusively use JM, Safariland or Blade-Tech holsters, and when I receive them I inspect to see whether they protect the button release and are molded correctly, after which I don’t get inadvertent magazine releases with my pistols.

Really gets down to personal preference.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

PPQs early on had a problem with too light mag release spring causing the thumb to inadvertently activate it during recoil causing a malfunction. Once I, and others, replaced with a stiffer spring, problem went away. Problem is detailed on the Walther forum.

I like my PPQ but prefer the VP9. I also trust HK more than Walther in quality and customer support.

This looks promising. I hope it is reliable and in a few months after release I'll keep an eye out for a used one. Will depend on size in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post

I like my PPQ but prefer the VP9. I also trust HK more than Walther in quality and customer support.
    I generally agree with this, but Walther gets credit in my book, for bringing out the Q5, which is a great option for Carry Optics or Production.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As to inadvertent magazine releases, I think it boils down to checking your specific holster and your specific pistol. I have had instances of the magazine coming out with an HK when the holster was improperly molded, or I have added extended paddles on a USP C, or when I have used a P30 (or was it an HK45C) in a USP holster that otherwise fit the different pistol.

I almost exclusively use JM, Safariland or Blade-Tech holsters, and when I receive them I inspect to see whether they protect the button release and are molded correctly, after which I don’t get inadvertent magazine releases with my pistols.

Really gets down to personal preference.
    If we could only get people to buy decent holsters....We all know a majority of those PPQ’s sold will be carried in crap holsters if a holster is used at all.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List