Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 642 Pocket Holster Help

S&W 642 Pocket Holster Help

Hi all,

I'm looking for some very specific help with pocket holsters for my new 642. I bought a Desantis Nemesis to try out and it prints too much. It fits the gun too tightly and doesn't fill out the rest of the pocket enough. I need something with a flat outside surface, more like this https://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-Model...pocket+holster. Problem is, I'm a little scared to buy it without a recommendation. I've also been thinking about a Mika square cut pocket holster, because they seem to be very well loved, but I'm not sure if it would print less than the Desantis or not. I normally wear Carhartt Loose Original Fit carpenter pants. They aren't tight buy any means, but they don't have as much room as pleated pants either. I don't really care what material the holster is. Any recommendations based on these criteria?

This is another one that looks like it might work, but again, can't really tell without seeing it in person.
    https://www.amazon.com/Galco-PH158-F...pocket+holster

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 01-19-2018 at 03:16 PM.

To see if an RCS Moduloader Pocket Shield might work try something... Chop up a waster fluid bottle to make a relatively flat shape. If that works in conjunction with the Nemesis you're fine. Most pocket holsters are gonna be the same way.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Two favorites are the Mika and the Safariland 25. Both work exceptionally well for me.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Try putting a piece of light cardboard (kleenex box type) over the front of your holster. (I believe that's a trick I learned on this forum years ago). I use an Uncle Mike's number 2 most of the time, (which is smaller than the number 3) and that, with the cardboard, breaks up the outline.

Edited to add -- the Tuff Products holster works for me with larger pockets, but usually it's the Uncle Mike's No. 2.
    Last edited by idahojess; 01-19-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Having used a J frame as an on-duty BUG via pocket carry for quite a few years. Two pocket holsters available I can recommend are the Mika that DB thew out and Kramer's pocket holster. I have had very good experiences with both in long term use.

Site Supporter
    A second vote for the Kramer!

Also check out:

1. Bell Charter Oak cut down revolver http://bellcharteroakholsters.com/pocket.html

2. CSM Gear http://csmgear.com/j-frame-pocket-hoster/

Looks like you might need one of these custom jobs by @SteveB:

ETA:

The Aholster is the thinnest holster I have for pocket carry.

The Uncle Mike's #3 is close behind. You can try the Uncle Mike's from amazon for under $10. Send it back if it's unacceptable.

I use the Mika more than either of them, but it is also thicker than either but not in a bad way. YMMV.
    Last edited by blues; 01-19-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I have a Safariland 25. Works well but mine left bad rub marks on my gun, so I quit using it.
    I will watch this thread with interest as I seek its replacement.

Site Supporter
    I have that Galco holster. Works well, fills the pocket, holds the gun in place. Some pockets become impossible to draw from, and will print, as well.

You may need more than one holster to accommodate different trousers.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-19-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    You may need more than one holster to accommodate different trousers.
    ^^^ this ^^^
    I have 4 different pocket holsters for my PM9.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List