Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic hearing protection recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Glad you like them, but Sport NRR is only 22 and Sordin a pitiful 18. And I don't care what Trevor says.
    It's correct though... My Sordin's are remarkably better on me than the HL's.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

No idea who Trevor is but everyone that uses them survives without hearing damage. I would try them out in person versus comparing potentially arbitrary NRR numbers.

I'm a bit paranoid about losing my hearing and I don't lose sleep over using Sordins (at least in USPSA).
    Last edited by Peally; 01-19-2018 at 01:38 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    No idea who Trevor is but everyone that uses them survives without hearing damage. I would try them out in person versus comparing potentially arbitrary NRR numbers.

I'm a bit paranoid about losing my hearing and I don't lose sleep over using Sordins (at least in USPSA).
    He wrote an article talking about what NRR measures and how they stackup. NRR is an average across a range of frequencies. It's possible that a pair of muffs rated at 30NRR may be only 15NRR at gunshot frequencies.

It's posted on the internet so it must be true.

Sordin's big advantage seems to be in the fit of their cushions, especially the gel jobs.
    HLs don't get as good a seal.

Trevor is the guy who did a blog to "prove" that an 18 dB Sordin was just as good as a 30 dB muff.
    He did this by cherry picking the damping from the specific frequency ranges he found to contribute the most to muzzle blast. He came up with a gun rating of about 35. Great for him and you. Better than the 30 dB of my old Peltors. But wait, there's more. If you use only the same frequency bands he did, the Peltor comes out with a Trevor Rating of about 44.

I am unwilling to pay the price of a set of Sordins to compare. Maybe somebody would give me some to try.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Sordin's big advantage seems to be in the fit of their cushions, especially the gel jobs.
    HLs don't get as good a seal.
    Correct. They need to seal for the higher rating to be valid.

Here's a graph because people like pictures. Source data came from each manufacturer's website.

I've worn both for years and both only give me problems when "that guy" is using a big brake on a rifle or open gun.
    Hey now, I don't even own an Open class gun or a rifle with a compensator on it.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

The Comtac 3 is the "other" Sordin style option. Never used them but they also seem to have happy customers.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    The Comtac 3 is the "other" Sordin style option. Never used them but they also seem to have happy customers.
    I have the Comtac 3 and couldn't be happier. Seriously awesome product, and changing out the batteries is easy as 1-2-3

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    It's correct though... My Sordin's are remarkably better on me than the HL's.
    I find the Gel cups on my Sordins vastly superior to the vinyl of my Impact Pros, especially fitting around my glasses.

Wearing my Sordins all day at a training class is also much more comfortable.

And I’ll tell one more thing, where we need a good ventilating battery driven micro-fan is not in a dad gone holster like AG is getting roasted over, but in the ear cups of ear pro. Think about how nice it would be to not has sweaty ears, and a nice cool gentle fresh breeze flowing through your match or training day.

User Tag List