Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic hearing protection recommendations?

Electronic hearing protection recommendations?

Not sure if this was the right place to post this question. Wading through all of the reviews on Amazon was tedious and frustrating. I need something so I can hear an instructor’s commands while remaining pain free if I happen to be beside someone with a muzzle brake. Any solid suggestions?

With a nasty brake you'll probably need to double up regardless, just FYI.

If you want cheap, get Howard Leight Impact Sports (if the stock plastic pads don't fit you they do make gel ones that may fare better for comfort and fit). If you want buy once cry once, get MSA Sordins or equivalent.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Thanks Peally. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    With a nasty brake you'll probably need to double up regardless, just FYI.

If you want cheap, get Howard Leight Impact Sports (if the stock plastic pads don't fit you they do make gel ones that may fare better for comfort and fit). If you want buy once cry once, get MSA Sordins or equivalent.
    ^ This.

The HL Impact Pro’s, at $58 shipped are also a good option, with a bit more NRR than the Sports:

Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff, Black & Grey (R-01902)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BGSI5U..._6bIyAbD0TYQ8Z

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If you want cheap, get Howard Leight Impact Sports (if the stock plastic pads don't fit you they do make gel ones that may fare better for comfort and fit).
    Would you happen to have a link for the gel pads? I wasn't aware that upgrade was available for HL ear pro.

That's good to know. I have the HL Pro and while they are quieter than the Sport, they are heavy and not very comfortable. I usually wear passives unless I just HAVE to hear more than "Are you ready?" BEEP.

Everybody likes to wear the Sordins but their NRR is inadequate for gunfire.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Would you happen to have a link for the gel pads? I wasn't aware that upgrade was available for HL ear pro.
    They're mainly made by small shops and individuals with the gear that can make them.

One of a few options: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719D35HM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Everybody likes to wear the Sordins but their NRR is inadequate for gunfire.
    They're not any worse than sports IMO. I've worn both for years and both only give me problems when "that guy" is using a big brake on a rifle or open gun. YMMV, but both work and both are fine for a basic cheek weld on a rifle if needed.

Glad you like them, but Sport NRR is only 22 and Sordin a pitiful 18. And I don't care what Trevor says.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I have Pro Ears. One's nrr25 and another is 32 or 33.

I've dealt with them for warranty repair and they were easy to work with.

Pro Ears are more popular in competitive circles, MSA in defense/tactical type people.

I don't need my ears to have comms or fit under a helmet, so the additional noise reduction is welcome.

User Tag List