Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spending week in Colorado. Can I carry my G17 (Magazine capacity question)

Spending week in Colorado. Can I carry my G17 (Magazine capacity question)

Will be doing some skiing next week. I see CO has a restriction on mags over 15 rounds, but it's not clear to me if this applies to out of state CCW permit holders in state temporarily. I'd appreciate any of you local Colorado folk who care to drop some knowledge.

Site Supporter
    How long have you owned it?
    Prior to 1-july-2013?
    http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cli...e=1224_enr.pdf

(2) (a) A PERSON MAY POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE IF HE
    OR SHE:
    (I) OWNS THE LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE ON THE EFFECTIVE DATE
    OF THIS SECTION; AND
    (II) MAINTAINS CONTINUOUS POSSESSION OF THE LARGE-CAPACITY
    MAGAZINE.
    (b) IF A PERSON WHO IS ALLEGED TO HAVE VIOLATED SUBSECTION (1)
    OF THIS SECTION ASSERTS THAT HE OR SHE IS PERMITTED TO LEGALLY
    POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (a) OF
    THIS SUBSECTION (2), THE PROSECUTION HAS THE BURDEN OF PROOF TO
    REFUTE THE ASSERTION.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The mag better not have an orange follower.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For me, not being prosecuted isn’t the same as not being arrested. Unless you can prove to the cops, it’s always possible to run into an asshole who wants to charge you and then let the DA not file. The officer may have probable cause to do so unless you have a means to prove you are in compliance on the spot.

Attitudes differ by location. Me personally, I never arrested anyone that I didn’t feel would be found guilty if taken to court (crazy judge and jury exceptions). This was pretty much the norm where I worked. In some areas, as long as you had probable cause, officers would make the arrest. I’d worry about this more carrying a firearm in a non-carry friendly place.

And parts of CO certainly fall into the non-carry friendly category, according to my CO buddies who hate the direction the state has gone.

If it were me, I’d grab a couple of 15 rd mags to not have to worry about running into an asshole.
    Last edited by LSP552; 01-19-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Here is a practical consideration. The Glock OEM magazines have had a number six follower for as long as I can remember, and have no external characteristic differences discernible to me. Short of inscribing on the magazine body the date of purchase, it is hard for me to differentiate between the gazillion OEM G 17 mags I own. I do know that ETS, Magpul and G5 orange follower mags came later.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    For me, not being prosecuted isn’t the same as not being arrested. Unless you can prove to the cops, it’s always possible to run into an asshole who wants to charge you and then let the DA not file. The officer may have probable cause to do so unless you have a means to prove you are in compliance on the spot.

Attitudes differ by location. Me personally, I never arrested anyone that I didn’t feel would be found guilty if taken to court (crazy judge and jury exceptions). This was pretty much the norm where I worked. In some areas, as long as you had probable cause, officers would make the arrest. I’d worry about this more carrying a firearm in a non-carry friendly place.

And parts of CO certainly fall into the non-carry friendly category, according to my CO buddies who hate the direction the state has gone.

If it were me, I’d grab a couple of 15 rd mags to not have to worry about running into an asshole.
    We are talking Colorado not NY or MA! That said, a G19 with OEM 15 round mags, takes any magazine issue off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We are talking Colorado not NY or MA! That said, a G19 with OEM 15 round mags, takes any magazine issue off the table.
    According to my friends who were born there, places like Bolder, Denver and the resort areas are places I wouldn’t risk it. I carry a 19 when I go. Guess I should say my friends are old school LE...
    Last edited by LSP552; 01-19-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added a note on my buddies

Yeah, I know the simple way to go is carry my 15 or 43. In truth the issue is that I'm a fledgling USPSA shooter and am addicted to dry fire at the moment. The thought was that if I carry the 17 all I have to do is throw in my competition belt, timer, and few mini targets and squeeze in some dry fire in the evenings. Have a class coming up in Feb and practicing like crazy at the moment.

Very frustrating to have to deal with useless laws to do something entirely innocent. (Not the first time that has been said I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    Yeah, I know the simple way to go is carry my 15 or 43. In truth the issue is that I'm a fledgling USPSA shooter and am addicted to dry fire at the moment. The thought was that if I carry the 17 all I have to do is throw in my competition belt, timer, and few mini targets and squeeze in some dry fire in the evenings. Have a class coming up in Feb and practicing like crazy at the moment.

Very frustrating to have to deal with useless laws to do something entirely innocent. (Not the first time that has been said I know)
    I know it’s an added expense, but picking up some 15 rd G17 Mags would let you accomplish both practice and carry without any issues.

If I read the statute right, looks like a first offense conviction is a misdemeanor so it may be worth the gamble to you. I also read that mags manufactured after that date had to be stamped as such. Admittedly, I skimmed over it as legal speak is stuff I read enough of in my professional time and despise reading it on purpose.

If it were me, I'd devote my time and focus to the ski trip and put the dry fire on hold. I'd pack a G26 with a ten round mag and a G19 back up mag and rest easy. That way, I'm not worried about said silly law and whether or not I am in violation of it. Peace of mind is more important to me than dry fire practice......and I dry fire all the time.

But that's me.

Regards.
    Last edited by lwt16; 01-19-2018 at 11:50 AM.

User Tag List