Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

The test will be going live tomorrow @12:00 PST from Beretta
    SHOT Show Live!

Additional note about my Wireless Remote Control Power Drill

Mr. Langdon has emphasized (and correctly so) that over cleaning is bad for your firearm. I wanted to make it clear that I am not saying otherwise. I clean thoroughly and probably more that anyone needs to, but here's the thing:

Other than in the bore, I do not use any type of wire brush or devise. A wire brush will remove your finish after time and round surfaces. It can wash out firing pin holes and weaken contact surfaces that are flush, square to square.

In addition to your favorite cleaning oil or solvent you can use a nylon tooth brush. I also use patches and paper towels pushed by wooden skewers. I shape the end of the skewer to fit my targeted area. Patches are better than paper towels, as paper towels and tissue can legally have trace amounts of rock and dirt debris within their mixture. Toothpicks can get some stubborn stuff, as well. Anyone wanting more detail, please ask.

My point? I do not disagree with the caution to not over clean. Proper, safe cleaning can add to longevity and reliability. Cleaning should be wireless.

No...

Attachment 23273

Yes... Notice the skewer is shaped like a flat-head screwdriver to push a patch under the extractor claw.

Attachment 23274

@ 30,000 rounds it's time for a full detail cleaning

This is 100% of all parts removed for cleaning and placed in groups.

Name:  PX4 Storm .45 100% disassembly.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  69.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Are there special jigs, slave pins, or other tools or implements available to assist with disassembly/assembly? Otherwise, Beretta must employ 3 handed techs. Your post is most advanced and may even could tell Beretta things about their own product. 20 plus years ago I had an interesting conversation with a Beretta tech who had an opinion about a B92 technical question, and when I suggested that he pass the opinion up the line, he told me that nobody up the line wanted his opinion. Hence, that attitude is one reason that you can't talk to anybody up the line about your experience. But that's the way that such works in giant organizations.
    Last edited by willie; 01-28-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Update maintenance log (full log posted earlier in this thread)

Total refit, frame & slide, 100% parts removal and cleaning-
    Replace trigger bar spring, hammer pin spring, decocker lever pin
    & spring, extractor pin & spring, firing pin spring, slide catch
    spring @30,000 1/28/18

All parts, clean

Name:  PX$ 45 all parts, clean.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  69.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Update maintenance log (full log posted earlier in this thread)

Total refit, frame & slide, 100% parts removal and cleaning-
    Replace trigger bar spring, hammer pin spring, decocker lever pin
    & spring, extractor pin & spring, firing pin spring, slide catch
    spring @30,000 1/28/18

All parts, clean

Name:  PX$ 45 all parts, clean.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  69.1 KB
    gahhh.....i could get to that point, i have punches and a hammer.....but then i'd be looking for a plastic baggie and a mailing label.

no offense, i'll just stick with field stripping and swapping hammer springs.

now....tab A, slot B.....

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Are there special jigs, slave pins, or other tools or implements available to assist with disassembly/assembly? Otherwise, Beretta must employ 3 handed techs. Your post is most advanced and may even could tell Beretta things about their own product. 20 plus years ago I had an interesting conversation with a Beretta tech who had an opinion about a B92 technical question, and when I suggested that he pass the opinion up the line, he told me that nobody up the line wanted his opinion. Hence, that attitude is one reason that you can't talk to anybody up the line about your experience. But that's the way that such works in giant organizations.

Willie, I understand your experience with Beretta! This is clearly compartmental thinking in the corporation. Customer Service does not get to know what the Gunsmiths know, Gunsmiths don't know what R&D knows, etc..

Special tools? Nothing that one can't get at Brownells. I'm sure there are advanced tools that one could be more expedient with. I use these.

Tools?

Name:  tools.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  52.8 KB

3rd hand? poor boy method

Name:  3rd hand.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  52.6 KB

Paper clips and plastic can hold stuff, too

Attachment 23382

As to better tools or advanced tools, Mr. Langdon would be more qualified to give a more complete answer.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-28-2018 at 07:41 PM.

The proof is in the pudding

After the full detail disassembly, cleaning & reassembly I took it to the range today to get it dirty. 300 rounds and everything worked perfectly. Next up... 40,000

Name:  @30,000 1-27, 28-18  Clean .jpg
Views: 974
Size:  54.9 KB

if that was a Chevy, you'd have 4 left over parts.....

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    if that was a Chevy, you'd have 4 left over parts.....
    4 left over parts and it still would'nt run right...

User Tag List