Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

There was a lot of discussion a few years ago about POI issues with the PX4 Trijicons, but that may have only affected the Compact sights. I wonder if that’s been resolved.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Initial impressions: this is a great size for a 9+1 / 10+1 .45, the only other .45 pistol I have that is near comparable in size is a M&P45C. Trigger is heavy (as expected) but I have a replacement spring ready to go. The Carry decocker lever should be here today, I’ll convert to a G, change out the hammer spring and put a grip overlay on it. From there, replacement sights might be in order - but the originals are workable.

So far, I’m impressed. This was a total flyer purchase, I’ve never even knowingly seen a .45 PX4 in the case let alone handled one. Hopefully range results will be favorable.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I traditionally use Safariland ALS holsters for field use, and was happy to see a fit listed for the PX4 .45. However, it’s not locking in place. I’ll see if it’s an adjustment or a fit issue.

Another question - replacement sights. What is currently out there? Ameriglo seems to have discontinued retail sale of their Beretta sights.

The ALS is not working with your PX4?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The ALS is not working with your PX4?
    No - I’ll try adjusting it, but so far I can’t get it to latch. It may be that the seller listed the wrong fit, I’ll go back to Safariland to check models.
    Ken

Hammer springs in the .45.

I sat here and tried all the hammer springs I have handy, and they all gave very similar trigger weights as the original.

* Beretta original spring
    * Beretta EU00043 D spring
    * Wilson 721CS-12 spring
    * LTT-HS-12 spring

I couldn’t get below 10# DA with any of these in an unfired pistol, so I think I need to try again after I get some dry fire and a few hundred rounds through the gun to polish things. I reinstalled the original spring for the time being. @PX4 Storm Tracker , I think you've mentioned you stick with the D springs and have good results - is it the EU00043?

I see LTT offers 10 and 11 pound springs for the PX4, I assume they are for the full size including the .45. Does anyone have experience with these weights in the .45? https://langdontactical.com/px4-chro...hammer-spring/
    Ken

Site Supporter
    No - I’ll try adjusting it, but so far I can’t get it to latch. It may be that the seller listed the wrong fit, I’ll go back to Safariland to check models.

I’ll be interested to see how this is resolved. Enough agencies use(d) the PX4 that I would think any issues with the ALS , especially the 6xxx series, were ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I’ll be interested to see how this is resolved. Enough agencies use(d) the PX4 that I would think any issues with the ALS , especially the 6xxx series, were ironed out.
    Aha! The issue is this is the wrong holster - I need a 6378-185-411. There’s a cheap leftie on Amazon, but I’m not cackhanded. I’ll look around.
    Ken

Hammering things out

Hammer springs in the .45.

I sat here and tried all the hammer springs I have handy, and they all gave very similar trigger weights as the original.

* Beretta original spring
    * Beretta EU00043 D spring
    * Wilson 721CS-12 spring
    * LTT-HS-12 spring

I couldn’t get below 10# DA with any of these in an unfired pistol, so I think I need to try again after I get some dry fire and a few hundred rounds through the gun to polish things. I reinstalled the original spring for the time being. @PX4 Storm Tracker , I think you've mentioned you stick with the D springs and have good results - is it the EU00043?

I see LTT offers 10 and 11 pound springs for the PX4, I assume they are for the full size including the .45. Does anyone have experience with these weights in the .45? https://langdontactical.com/px4-chro...hammer-spring/
    YMMV? Yes, the Beretta EU00043 D spring is the one I recommend. It should also give initial pull weights similar to the LTT 12# (the Wilson Combat 12# is the same spring, but LTT polishes one end --which should be the bottom--).

Normally, initial weight for DA would drop to ~8#, so I would look at a couple of things. Firstly, upon installation, did you "screw" it on? The hammer struts have a little notch (on all but the SubCompact) for the spring to twist into and lock. If you did not twist it in it could increase length and pressure.
    However, I have found that with some snap cap dry firing or shooting it will scoot up and grab the notch later.

That segues to the second thing. Snap capping and firing will settle the spring in. Are you measuring at the top of the trigger? Bottom? lower part of the curved trigger face? How does it feel?

As to the 10# & 11# LTT springs: I have heard enough reports of light strikes with an 11# spring (we just pulled one out of our Compact yesterday because of light strikes). The 10# spring does not have enough users to offer enough data, but it is lighter than the 11#, which gives some light strikes sometimes. This is why I recommend the D spring or 12# spring for defensive or duty applications.

The PX4 45 should take the same sights as the full size PX4s. The SubCompact can share the same sights, but uses a 6.2 mm front blade instead of the 6.5 mm.

Choosing the right hammer spring: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page9 post 83

If you are going to the range to "settle" your spring in, why not try the D spring?
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 12-13-2022 at 11:56 AM.

I didn’t realize the spring might not seat completely - how do you screw it on? I was dropping it in the hole in the bottom of the gripframe based on what I saw on YT, should I be pulling and reinstalling the hammer, strut and spring as an assembly instead? Good point about just trying the D spring, I’ll swap it out again. It’s easy enough.

Progress - I got the Carry decocker levers installed. Much better!
    Ken

Struttin' your stuff

I didn’t realize the spring might not seat completely - how do you screw it on? I was dropping it in the hole in the bottom of the gripframe based on what I saw on YT, should I be pulling and reinstalling the hammer, strut and spring as an assembly instead? Good point about just trying the D spring, I’ll swap it out again. It’s easy enough.

Progress - I got the Carry decocker levers installed. Much better!
    Those Carry levers are pretty cool!

I would not bother to remove the fire control unit in order to put the spring on correctly. After removing the backstrap and the hammer spring plug, remove the spring.

When you are ready to install the D spring, cock the hammer so that the struts are closer to the bottom of the opening for the spring.
    Next, you can see through one of the slots in the back of the grip that is exposed from the lack of backstrap that the spring is going around both legs of the struts.
    The spring will still be far enough out that you can either... with your fingers, or with some thin pliers... twist it around so that the coils climb upward. It won't take much, you'll feel when it stops.

Then, decock the hammer so that there's less compression needed and replace your hammer spring plug and pin and then your backstrap.

When you decock it don't expect it to stay past half cock. Without the hammer spring pressure the sear spring will push it back that little bit.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 12-13-2022 at 04:03 PM.

User Tag List