Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Huh?

Think you took my post a little out of context. I was specifically speaking on your point about the .45 being wider. Didn’t imply that the frames/designs are identical other than width. And considering that most of my post was about magazine stacking/thickness of the grip... I figured it would be clear enough. Sorry if it was not.

Years ago, a member on BerettaForum was asking about converting his .45 with a .40 slide available on GunBroker. I specifically tried the slides on both guns to confirm it wouldn’t work for him. One combination... forget which... would allow the block to lock on the takedown lever, but still, the slide stopped from moving backwards. If the .45 was dimensionally wider, one slide wouldn’t have fit on the other frame, and one would be loose. The fact that the backstraps and magazine release parts being standard for all three calibers reinforces that the frames are similar in that dimension.

Are the barrels, extractors, blocks, and other parts effected by caliber sizes the same? No, never implied it. A .45 slide has to move farther back to eject and chamber the longer .45 compared to a 9mm slide ejecting/chambering a 9mm. The hammer on a .45 needs to be further back for a similar reason, so yes, the trigger arm needs to be longer on the .45. The actual hole in the frame for the magazine has to be longer (not wider) because the .45 magazine is longer (front to back) than a 9mm magazine. I also wouldn’t think I’d be that dense to say they are completely identical, but the slide would not move rearward. Width is shown that the slides can get on the rails between calibers... but obviously the ejector and other caliber specific parts/clearances are keeping the slides from cycling.

To also add, MDS has been making Beretta magazines for years... pretty much, they are identical to PB magazines. It is a factory magazine, just made in a different location than Beretta. MDS is actually owned by Beretta. With the 92/96, the MDS magazines were just a few dollars cheaper than PB magazines. Unsure how they are priced currently, or if they have specific models being made at MDS/PB... but MDS is Beretta.

To be clear, I’ve been out of the .45 PX4 for years... and no regret for it. It is a good firearm, but there are better options for me out there. With that being said, I’m not saying I’m better than you or know more about them. Didn’t have a round count close to yours on my .45 when I traded it... but I did own it and a 9mm at the same time for a few years. Both were ran in the same holsters, both were shot side by side, and even once sat there for a couple seconds trying to load a .45 magazine into a 9mm pistol. Sorry, but just giving an additional viewpoint... which pretty much supports yours. Only point I made was regarding width, which isn’t really calling you out... just expanding.
    You have done your homework! I count you as a valuable contributor to any threads I participate in. Your experiences with holsters and things has been different from mine.

I think we can leave as- this has been an awesome discussion on the "size" issue and challenging us to think together! Now we will just let anyone interested enough find a full sized and a .45 and see how they feel for themselves.

Again, no offense taken, hopefully none given.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-20-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I wonder how the PX4 (SD) .45 would compare to my HK45...hmmmm. Might have to pick one up to see.
    Unless you know someone with one... it will be hard to pick up an SD for trying (unless you find a used one). When they came out we could not see or touch one until my partner bought one.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-20-2018 at 08:35 PM.

I wonder how the PX4 (SD) .45 would compare to my HK45...hmmmm. Might have to pick one up to see.
    My partner's .45 SD for your viewing:

When new-

Name:  SD.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  101.3 KB

With Low Profile levers-

Name:  Storm SD (1).jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  47.2 KB

With Cerakote- (current condition)

Name:  Storm SD (2).jpg
Views: 991
Size:  100.9 KB
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-20-2018 at 08:48 PM.

I would like to get a Special Duty with my tax return but since I'm already planning on a Mod 5 I think I'll settle for one of the Type C .45's from Classic Firearms for $350.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I would like to get a Special Duty with my tax return but since I'm already planning on a Mod 5 I think I'll settle for one of the Type C .45's from Classic Firearms for $350.
    Everyone needs a .45!

PX4 Storm Tracker...do you have a PX4 CC? If not I think you should add one to your stable.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Everyone needs a .45!
    I many .45's, but not a PX4 in .45. I'll get an SD eventually but it's more of a fun gun.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Everyone needs a .45!
    I would love to shoot one. The last time I fired a .45, it was a WWII model that the range rented, and the sights were damaged (why it was at the range). Very hard to do, and a lot of kick for hitting no where near the sights said (how I found out about the sights being off). The next one I will probably buy though will be a CZ clone in 10mm. I enjoyed that caliber when I started shooting and would like to try one again.

Site Supporter
    What kind of holster do you use for the PX4? For duty use I prefer the ALS and it's nice to know you can get an ALS holster for the PX4.

PX4 Storm Tracker...do you have a PX4 CC? If not I think you should add one to your stable.
    MSparks909, I do not have a Compact Carry, though I would like to. The reason I don't has nothing to do with lack of respect for what an accomplishment it was to develop it.

My wife has a PX4 Storm Compact. She shoots with me at least once per week. I make her do all of her own cleaning and maintenance. She can 100% disassemble and reassemble the entire pistol and has chosen to customize it.
    She tried the Low Profile levers and they were not user friendly, so she customized it to her liking.

D hammer spring, M-92 type G levers, with Low Profile, single sided mag catch, frame plug, med oversized mag release, Talon grips custom fitted so that they don't need to be removed to disassemble the frame, Cerakote of slide and choice parts

Name:  Compact  (2).jpg
Views: 957
Size:  57.2 KB
    Attachment 23152

The only thing lacking was a Competition "trigger" group (actually, hammer assembly). I don't want her to have a trigger pull lighter than the 6lbs, 8oz DA & 3lbs, 14oz SA that it currently has (due to following my assembly/lube recipe).

So, I feel like I already have one

User Tag List