Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    After shooting today (the usual 300 rounds) I found a terminal flaw. @119,600 rounds the slide was found to be cracked.

A long crack.

Through and through.

I no longer feel it would be safe to keep shooting it.
    I would not feel safe doing so either.

(Still, one wonders what kind of round count a new slide would allow the grip frame to reach.)

The crack itself is interesting. Based on my limited knowledge of "materials science," it terminated about where I would have expected it to (the front sight cut) given the length and general direction it was taking... but the length of it still seems a bit remarkable.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 07-19-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

After shooting today (the usual 300 rounds) I found a terminal flaw. @119,600 rounds the slide was found to be cracked.
    Sorry to hear about the failure. I'll guess you may have some emotional attachment to that gun after all those rounds. I probably would.

I've enjoyed reading your journey with the gun. Thank you.

Remarkable, indeed

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I would not feel safe doing so either.

(Still, one wonders what kind of round count a new slide would allow the grip frame to reach.)

The crack itself is interesting. Based on my limited knowledge of "materials science," it terminated about where I would have expected it to (the front sight cut) given the length and general direction it was taking... but the length of it still seems a bit remarkable.
    The steel lined, fiberglass reinforced polymer seems like it could keep going. What I also find remarkable is how many little things or big things have broken and yet it continued firing and working and doesn't let you down when you need it.

It served well!

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Sorry to hear about the failure. I'll guess you may have some emotional attachment to that gun after all those rounds. I probably would.

I've enjoyed reading your journey with the gun. Thank you.
    Thanks. I have appreciated your support in this thread from the very first comment.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    What I also find remarkable is how many little things or big things have broken and yet it continued firing and working and doesn't let you down when you need it.
    I have noticed that. In a lot of ways, the PX4 is one of the more "forgiving" semiauto handgun systems (particularly in 9mm).
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Thanks for documenting this journey. That gun certainly served you well, may it rest in peace now. Look forward to seeing how the replacement fares. Are you now shopping for a backup to your former backup? Do they still make these in 45?

Down one, not out...

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Thanks for documenting this journey. That gun certainly served you well, may it rest in peace now. Look forward to seeing how the replacement fares. Are you now shopping for a backup to your former backup? Do they still make these in 45?
    Thanks for the encouragement along the way!

As a matter of fact I have started looking around for a new back-up for the former back-up. The PX4 .45 is still in production. There are also a lot of barely used ones around. I have calculated my weekly round count and experience from the "now retired" range pistol how long I should have before any systemic failures might be possible. I already have enough spare parts and things to last a long time. I can be picky about a replacement for the batter's box. But, I am looking ahead.

Yes, the old range pistol can rest in "pieces". I noted that the barrel and rebound spring still have some life in them. They were removed, cleaned and set aside (it filled out a donor card before expiring), I may use the D spring that has 89,900 rounds with no light strikes if the 11# spring does not work well in the new range pistol.

The new range pistol will not have round count numbers worthy of note for a while. It does have some differences, though. I did the extractor fitting right off. I'm starting with the levers I will stay with. I am running an LTT 11# hammer spring. I have always wanted to do long term testing on that spring. My wife has 11,150 rounds on her 11# spring in her PX4 SubCompact range pistol. All kinds of cheap ammo, no light strikes. We do keep firing pin channels clean, though.

I plan to experiment with different cleaning protocols that might be less work. I will take some of the precautionary measures that I learned along the way with its predecessor and see if I can get some parts to last longer.

This new pistol might go longer, yet. Either way, I enjoy the shooting and training.

Beretta PX4 Storm .45 20k cycle

When Beretta tests pistols and pistol parts they do it in 20,000 round proving patterns. Ernest Langdon said that when Beretta tests a new part it must perform 20k rounds in 3 pistols to be acceptable.

In order for a person to fire 20,000 rounds it would take about 385 rounds per week for a year, 193 rounds per week for 2 years or about 96 rounds per week for 4 years.
    Most people I confer with (and I chat with a lot of PX4 owners) only shoot about 50 rounds in their PX4 .45 every couple of weeks, or once per month. That would be about 15-~30 years to get to 20k.

My amount of use is not the usual. If a person is going to shoot their PX4 .45 enough to reach 20k they probably would expect to do maintenance. The casual shooter would only clean and lube.

So, though this thread has been about taking a PX4 .45 to a high round count and for long duration (the thread started as it approached 30k) it is not typical of what most shooters would experience.

Before 20,000 rounds were reached nothing broke. After 20k the ejector extension broke off and it kept working anyway without a hitch for another ~30k. Barrels (a weak point for marathon endurance) last longer than the 20k, as well. The first one lasted ~31,000 rounds. Little things that broke did not start until nearing the second 20k and they were little. The slide did not crack until 6 cycles of 20k.

My point in this post is that if one is considering a PX4 .45 (regular or SD) and sees the parts, springs, pins or things I went through and are set back by that.... That is not what you would experience (unless you go for 120k and don’t use precautionary techniques I shared).

As I mentioned, the chance that someone will take a PX4 .45 past 20,000 rounds (be it interest, recoil or price of ammo) is very improbable.

Having had 5 PX4 .45s I can assure you that you will not experience breakages, or issues in the first 20,000 rounds (barring ammo mishaps or unforeseen defects that warranty would cover). I only suggest changing the guide rod assembly (slide rebound spring) every 5k and keep it reasonably clean.

Shoot, shoot, clean/lube... repeat... enjoy.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 07-21-2020 at 07:14 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Really impressed by the dedication and thoroughness you've put into this write-up, @PX4 Storm Tracker.

10Q

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Really impressed by the dedication and thoroughness you've put into this write-up, @PX4 Storm Tracker.
    Thank you for your supportive words!

User Tag List