Page 45 of 59 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

It's been a long road... gettin' from there to here...

The trigger spring in my PX4 .45 G range pistol broke @116,300 with only 14,700 rounds on it. It was the same as the prior. It kept on shooting, anyway. I noticed that the quality of the spring was not up to par.

@118,700 I replaced the slide rebound spring.

After shooting today (the usual 300 rounds) I found a terminal flaw. @119,600 rounds the slide was found to be cracked.

A long crack.

Name:  Storm Tracker's slide  (2).jpg
Views: 340
Size:  48.5 KB

Through and through.

Name:  Storm Tracker's slide  (1).jpg
Views: 312
Size:  59.6 KB

I no longer feel it would be safe to keep shooting it. In post 438 I mentioned that I had just gotten a back-up for my range pistol. Well, it is that time. My shooting will not slow down, nor will I get new range mags and equipment. I will simply have the stand-in stand in.

Terminal round count: 119,600

New range pistol round count 650.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 07-18-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    What an amazing story this thread has been. Thank you for documenting your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    What an amazing story this thread has been. Thank you for documenting your experiences.
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

Have you thought about contacting Beretta and seeing if they want the pistol and your documentation? Talk about a sales tool.

Have you thought about contacting Beretta and seeing if they want the pistol and your documentation? Talk about a sales tool.

You would think that they would be interested. But, anytime I had spoken to customer service or the service department they showed no interest. As a matter of fact, I got more of a negative response from the service department.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    You would think that they would be interested. But, anytime I had spoken to customer service or the service department they showed no interest. As a matter of fact, I got more of a negative response from the service department.
    I'm thinking somebody in sales, like watch their SHOT show interviews on Youtube and contact someone you see in the videos. Or, maybe they have a PX4 product line manager? Service department just hears bad news all day.

I'm thinking somebody in sales, like watch their SHOT show interviews on Youtube and contact someone you see in the videos. Or, maybe they have a PX4 product line manager? Service department just hears bad news all day.
    That fellow would be Erik Stern. He has shown that he does read this thread and has even commented and answered questions in it. Therefore, I would conclude that he is most aware of this. He has never expressed any further interest.

Honestly, I would think they would not think of this as a sales tool. Ernest Langdon's 50K PX4 challenge, is a better marketing tool (one breakage, same barrel through whole test, as the gun was designed for higher pressure rounds).

That said, guns are tools and they will wear out. This one certainly had a good run.

Wow! I’m not a big round-counter but much respect for the dedication and discipline it took to do this. Makes me feel pretty good about carrying one of my pair of Px4 Compacts. I doubt I will have fired that many rounds across all my guns before parts of me are cracked and failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonrat View Post
    Wow! I’m not a big round-counter but much respect for the dedication and discipline it took to do this. Makes me feel pretty good about carrying one of my pair of Px4 Compacts. I doubt I will have fired that many rounds across all my guns before parts of me are cracked and failing.
    Thanks for the kind words!

User Tag List