Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Grip tips

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    ...Just as an aside, in the old days, some folks would wrap rubber bands around revolver grips to make them thicker and also for holster-less waistband carry.
    Yes, back in the old days, when revolvers were the thing... I used to rough up the shellac on some grips that were too slick.

Being that I don't use anything on my PX4s for grip enhancement, I do have one trick I use at the range. When it is below 40° and windy my hands get dry and the slickness of the grip is more prevalent. I keep a few barely damp half paper towels in my pocket. I grab one, squeeze a little and it makes my skin/grip more normal. Sometimes I use them at the range in normal weather conditions.

In quick or surprise tactical simulations, drawing practice or exercises the grip has never been a problem. But, at the range the paper towel trick works well.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Thanks but I don't want to go that route, and would either stipple or use the stick on grips. I have some of those Hogue and Pachmayr sleeves for other guns, mostly tiny guns that are hard to get a good grip on, but I don't use them on anything but range toys and generally speaking I am not a fan of using that kind of thing. I don't like anything on a grip that has potential to move around or twist or slide on its own. No inner tubes for me. Just my preference.
    Due to the surface area contact of the inner tube, it really doesnt move around that much unless you have one hell of a grip. But I understand what you are saying. I have thought about stippling too buti its just too big of a gamble for me to get the perfect grip texture. To me the best stock grip is the gen4 Glocks. The SW 2.0 has awesome grip but I will tear up shirts or my skin will get rashy due to how rough it is. When I am lazy I will occasionally carry without an undershirt between the pistol and my skin. On those particular days I do appreciate the PX4CC with the "smooth" texture and stealth levers haha.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    From https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page10 post 94. Did you ever find out the brand?
    I've been having a hectic week this last bit. One boss with two trips to the hospital (VERY low blood sugar on one), so long hours at work, that by the time I get home, and try to get on the computer, I have fallen asleep at it every night.
    As I am getting ready to head out and pick up stuff for work (supposed to be my day off, and biannual two days off), I may not get back to here soon. (may sleep most of tomorrow)
    I tried looking up who I believe it was, and I can only find them currently for sale in one location, with no pictures. There may be pictures on the Beretta forum, but since other picture providers went away, more posts lost their images.
    I believe Traction Grips, was the other that allowed access to the pins.

10Q

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    ... I believe Traction Grips, was the other that allowed access to the pins.
    Thanks for the extra effort!

Pistol round count 108,200
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 04-11-2020 at 02:16 PM.

I reached 110,000 rounds on my PX4 .45 G range pistol. All is running smoothly and well. No stoppages, no malfunctions.

My D hammer spring now has 80,300 rounds on it, no light strikes. Trigger pulls are holding @ 5.75 lbs DA & 3.2 lbs SA.

I changed guide rod assemblies (slide rebound spring) @108,800 rounds.

After one more shooting session (300 rounds) I will do a complete disassembly of slide and frame for detailed cleaning and relubing. I plan to change the o-ring, since changing it every 10k is protecting the lever pin.

Pistol round count 110,000

Thanks for the info on the grip decals. I will give those a try.

114,800 rounds- equipment updates

My PX4 .45 G range pistol is now @114,800 rounds. I did a slide disassembly for detailed cleaning and replaced the decocker lever pin. All is functioning well, smoothly and without stoppages or malfunctions. Trigger pulls are holding @5.75 lbs DA and 3.2 SA. My D hammer spring has 85,100 rounds on it with no light strikes.

@110,300 rounds I put in a new hammer pin spring while I had the frame apart.

@113,900 I changed the guide rod assembly (slide rebound spring) as scheduled.

@110,300 I noticed the frame has worn through to the steel insert. No problem, just noticed.

Name:  110,300.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  27.8 KB

@114,800 I noticed that a piece of the polymer rail extensions had broken off. No problem, just noticed.

Name:  114,800.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  58.1 KB

No plans to slow down....

There's a new kid in town...

Everything is running well and smoothly with my PX4 .45 G range pistol. I have 117,800 rounds on it. I have no plans to slow down or stop shooting it. However... as I am going into unexplored territory with the high round count I don't know what to expect. There is no evidence that something is about to wear out or fail. If there were a catastrophic failure my stunt double for my EDC does not have a stand-in.

I use my range pistol (featured in this thread) to train with, use and abuse. What would happen if it died in the process? I would not then beat up on my EDC. It so happened that I ran into a great deal on another .45 PX4. It only had 11 rounds on it and a little holster wear that you can only see in some light. I got it.

I did an extractor fitting, installed Carry levers, a low profile slide catch and an 11# hammer spring from LTT. I disassembled and lubed the fire control unit and installed a new guide rod assembly.

I took it out to the range today and put it through all the tactical exercises and target work that my range pistol does (305 rounds, including 5 HSTs +P). It performed perfectly. There is a difference in the smoothness and light operation of a pistol with over 100k compared to a new one, but it did well.

I will shoot it again this weekend for indoor drills (another 304 rounds) and then clean it up for storage or use it as a guard gun for going out to the range (or other dirty places I would not wear my EDC). Then, it is back to my regular range pistol.

Pistol round count 117,800

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    There is no evidence that something is about to wear out or fail. If there were a catastrophic failure my stunt double for my EDC does not have a stand-in.
    Are you still on barrel number 2?

Barrels

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Are you still on barrel number 2?
    I'm on number 4. It averages between 23k & 30k for barrel life.

Additionally, one of those barrels developed a chip that began to split inside of the chamber. It was sent back to Beretta as a warranty item and has been in pandemic suspended animation. If it were not for that flaw in that barrel I might have only been on number 3.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 07-03-2020 at 09:31 AM.

User Tag List