Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Is that chip in the inside area where the other barrel cracked?

Unique

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Is that chip in the inside area where the other barrel cracked?
    Negative! This is the first occurrence of this spot in any fashion. The prior barrel cracked here (pictured)

Name:  crack.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  42.4 KB

Slide wear

Quote Originally Posted by Storm SD View Post

Attachment 27684

This is PX4 Storm Tracker's slide at 25,200 rounds.

Attachment 27685

This is PX4 Storm Tracker's slide at 40,100 rounds.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page24 post 232

Name:  Storm Tracker's slide 105.5k.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  52.0 KB

And now the same slide @105,500 rounds.

Spring sprung

@~106,650 rounds while doing an exercise we call 2 Up, 2 Back (walking forward while shooting, then walking backwards- 1 DA, 1 SA - first righty, then lefty) I was not able to get my decocker lever to go down and had to shoot SA on one portion to stay in pace with shooting partners’ movement. I continued on and everything was working normally.

Next I did a 1 to the body, 1 to the head, decocked and went to shoot again- click... not bang. I looked and the decocker lever was still down. I pushed it up and felt that the spring was not springing. I finished my training using the trigger to decock (like the old revolver days). The pistol continued to work and shoot without any problem.

When I got it home I found that the decocker lever spring had broken. It went ~25,450 rounds, which is a fair amount with me. I decock a lot. Normally 40-45% of my shooting is DA. That could mean 11,543 decockings plus loadings and snap capping.

The spring split and allowed the leg that catches the slide to come out of place. I put a new one in from my spares.

Name:  Storm Tracker's lever spring..jpg
Views: 536
Size:  41.8 KB

Pistol round count 106,700

@PX4 Storm Tracker

I have long wondered about whether this might be the one disadvantage of running a G rather than F. in that when this spring goes, the F version would still have functioning detents to allow the lever to remain in either fire or safe. as usual thank you for sharing your experience. do you know if this spring in the PX4 is the same as the one that comes with the 92 G conversion kit?

Detents?

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    @PX4 Storm Tracker

I have long wondered about whether this might be the one disadvantage of running a G rather than F. in that when this spring goes, the F version would still have functioning detents to allow the lever to remain in either fire or safe. as usual thank you for sharing your experience. do you know if this spring in the PX4 is the same as the one that comes with the 92 G conversion kit?
    I'm glad that the information in this thread is of use or interest to others.

The only actual detent ball to hold a lever in place in a type F is in the left lever shaft to hold it in the down, safe position. When the lever is up in the fire position, whether it is a type G or F the only detent to hold it in place is the pressure of the firing pin spring. The firing pin actually pushes into the hole in the left lever shaft to maintain it in place and to have it aligned with the firing pin plunger.

I was able to keep on shooting with a broken spring. A type F would give no advantage here, other than that you would have no expectation of the lever coming back up on its own under spring power.

The lever spring is unique to the PX4. I do not know what is in the model 92 conversion kit to be able to answer that, other than the mechanism in the 92 lever is very different.

Pistol round count 107,000

thanks for the info. my OEM 92G definitely does not use this spring, but the 92G conversion kit uses a spring that looks identical to this one to keep the lever in the up position. the springs may be the same.

Spring ID?

thanks for the info. my OEM 92G definitely does not use this spring, but the 92G conversion kit uses a spring that looks identical to this one to keep the lever in the up position. the springs may be the same.
    Yes, I did a little research after our interaction here. From what I can tell the spring on the conversion kit looks the same with the exception of the leg that goes horizontal being longer.

Good observation!

Hey there, I have been following this thread but just recently became a member to the forum. is it is at all possible , can you post photos of your px4 storms from the back view of of the pistol? i notice for lack of a better word looks like a small hairline "crack", and i wanted to try and confirm if thats normal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSpear View Post
    Hey there, I have been following this thread but just recently became a member to the forum. is it is at all possible , can you post photos of your px4 storms from the back view of of the pistol? i notice for lack of a better word looks like a small hairline "crack", and i wanted to try and confirm if thats normal or not.
    DaveJ has answer at post #933 of this thread

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tement!/page94

Ernest Langdon a few posts later

This has been covered in other places on the forum. The cut at the rear of the slide is supposed to be there. It has been there on 92F models with slide mounted safeties for about 40 years. All of the PX4s have the same cut. The cut out under the front sight is also supposed to be there. The compacts have a much larger cut out under the front sight than the full-size PX4s have.

User Tag List