Page 39 of 59 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Backstraps

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    I put a .45 PX4 on layaway the other day. I have a spring kit ready for it. I think it has the Small back strap installed & does not have the other sizes. I prefer the medium on my .40 PX4’s. Will the .45 take the same back straps as my fullsize .40?
    Congrats!

Yes, the .45 will take the same backstraps as the full size .40. To be sure, I just took the backstrap off of my full size .40 and put it on my .45 and the backstrap from my .45 on my .40. They are the same.

However, I would point out that you might want to check out the stock .45 small backstrap that it comes stock with before buying others. The .45 is bigger in many dimensions. The .45 with a small backstrap feels about the same in the hand as a .40 with a large backstrap. While I personally like the small backstrap on the .45, I like the medium on the .40. My shooting partner uses the large backstrap on his full size .40 to make it feel like the .45 with a small. Unless you just like the hump that the medium has.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-20-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    The .45 is bigger in many dimensions. The .45 with a small backstrap feels about the same in the hand as a .40 with a large backstrap.
    I'm glad you posted. I remember reading that comment in one of these PX4 threads, but wasn't sure which one of you posted this comment in the past, and I was up for searching for it at the moment.

Backstrap feel

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I'm glad you posted. I remember reading that comment in one of these PX4 threads, but wasn't sure which one of you posted this comment in the past, and I was up for searching for it at the moment.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rap#post700367 post 29

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Excellent, thanks for finding that. However, that wasn't the post that was on my mind, it seemed like it was deeper in a thread than that one. After looking for it, I found it was "the other guy" Storm SD, responding to a question from beenalongtime asking why he uses different backstraps on his different PX4's in a family picture that I was remembering.

Storm SD post #136 in the same thread your post was.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page14

I have found that the larger pistol (the .45) with the small backstrap has a more similar feel to the .40 with the large backstrap. Since I want my EDC to draw and feel more like the pistol that I shoot more often at the range, I chose to have that set up.
    Both of you have the same opinion on the backstrap differences, so that is good confirmation and a good reference point for the rest of us, since the PX4 .45 models are not very common anymore, at least on the shelves at the local gun stores.

The spring kit I’m talking about is the Special Duty Spring Kit
    https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/px4...ng-kit/e00859/
    Special kit of Nickel Plated Springs. Highest corrosion resistance and very low friction.

Kit contains:

Sear Spring
    Trigger Spring
    Desassembly Spring
    Hold Open Lever Spring
    Back Strap Spring
    Transfer Bar Spring
    Hammer Spring
    Magazine Release Lever Spring
    Hammer Pin Spring

Kit

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    The spring kit I’m talking about is the Special Duty Spring Kit
    https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/px4...ng-kit/e00859/
    Special kit of Nickel Plated Springs. Highest corrosion resistance and very low friction.

Kit contains:

Sear Spring
    Trigger Spring
    Desassembly Spring
    Hold Open Lever Spring
    Back Strap Spring
    Transfer Bar Spring
    Hammer Spring
    Magazine Release Lever Spring
    Hammer Pin Spring
    Good information, thanks!

Site Supporter
    I can't believe how well this gun has performed.

Energizer Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I can't believe how well this gun has performed.
    I feel the same way! @900 rounds per week, it just keeps going.

Umm. 100, 000 rounds on any pistol today is possible when it is rebuilt over and over.

Longevity

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost66 View Post
    Umm. 100, 000 rounds on any pistol today is possible when it is rebuilt over and over.
    I don't know what qualifies to you as rebuilt over and over, but most parts are original. The slide, frame, hammer, hammer pivot pin, trigger, sear and spring, firing pin plunger, firing pin block plunger, firing pin and many other parts are original. Other than parts that broke, small pins and springs are changed with prescribed time and round count intervals. Most components are original, some were replaced once and continue on.

It may not be amazing or impressive, but it is my accounting of the journey of a few samples of a PX4 .45 G for a high round count and long duration.

Pistol round count 102,200

User Tag List