Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

preferences

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I think your concerns about "protecting" the hammer are overblown. It is not anything I've ever concerned myself with, nor anything I've ever had a problem with.
    I don't know if you are referring to me in this, but I had 3 incidences where my hammer got bumped and one where it got moved to half-cock. Granted, my occupation and flexibility needs make for more risk of hammer bumping than average. Also, my light action makes my hammer easier to move.

My shooting partner bumped his hammer to half cock while putting it (holstered) in his truck compartment to go into a building where he could not bring it. He has ordered a spurless hammer now. He also carries boxes and things frequently and has to check on his hammer each time.

Different strokes... for different folks...
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 09-10-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I don't know if you are referring to me in this,...
    I wasn't, but worthwhile feedback.

I do believe a holster should cover the trigger guard, to prevent the trigger from accidentally getting pulled...
    Yes, any holster that covers up the trigger is a good thing but that’s not what I’m talking about. It’s the sheer fact of pulling the gun out of the holster that it could... be accidentally grabbed by the finger especially in a tense situation and really your most danger with a gun like what I was talking about was if a piece of your shirt or if you got a string on a jacket or just anything that could that trigger, you could have a negligent discharge just from pushing the gun in the holster.

...but covering the hammer is not a need for me, or even a want. A requirement to cover the hammer would eliminate nearly all of the top concealment holsters from consideration. I consider the loss of all those holster options a greater negative, than protecting a hammer, that isn’t going anywhere unless the trigger is pulled, is a positive.
    True, but that’s why we’re talking about the good aspects of a low profile hammer so that you don’t have to eliminate a lot of the really good concealment holsters so I don’t understand why were really even having this conversation about thumbstraps that secure a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your feedback has always been excellent, helpful and greatly appreciated!

Not to be rude or anything but that’s why him and I are talking about this in the first place. You may not ever think it’ll be a problem with yours – and that’s OK but he just stated multiple occasions where his hammer did get pulled back just by moving around and doing his daily routine. That’s why now that my three main pistols don’t have safeties at all or even a trigger safety in them, why I’m considering converting over to low profile hammers just for that very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    ... I don’t understand why were really even having this conversation about thumbstraps that secure a hammer.
    Because it really isn't a concern for most people (certainly there are exceptions, and some pointed out in this thread), and I'm pointing this out as an opportunity for self evaluation that maybe your concerns are misplaced.

If if were a concern of the general public, gun makers would put low profile hammers on all their guns, and holster makers would cover hammers with all their holsters. The fact that there are very few low profile hammers on factory guns, and practically no concealment holsters that cover the hammer, should indicate the issue is not much of a concern.

I'm not telling you what holster to use or what hammer to prefer, choose whatever you like and rock on. I'm simply pointing out your concern is not a common one, and probably for a reason.

JTQOK

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Not to be rude or anything but that’s why him and I are talking about this in the first place. You may not ever think it’ll be a problem with yours – and that’s OK but he just stated multiple occasions where his hammer did get pulled back just by moving around and doing his daily routine. That’s why now that my three main pistols don’t have safeties at all or even a trigger safety in them, why I’m considering converting over to low profile hammers just for that very reason.

I can see that you are very detail oriented and want to really think it through. That is commendable! But I would mention that in the Forum people will see things differently and will offer their views. I know JTQ well enough to know that he means no offense. No one is advocating for or against your conversion to spurless. Some might not not see what you see and some will. That is what makes the Forum enjoyable.

I am putting spurless hammers on all of our deep conceal PX4s and leaving spurs on those that are not. It's all good.

Because it really isn't a concern for most people (certainly there are exceptions, and some pointed out in this thread), and I'm pointing this out as an opportunity for self evaluation that maybe your concerns are misplaced.

If if were a concern of the general public, gun makers would put low profile hammers on all their guns, and holster makers would cover hammers with all their holsters. The fact that there are very few low profile hammers on factory guns, and practically no concealment holsters that cover the hammer, should indicate the issue is not much of a concern.

I'm not telling you what holster to use or what hammer to prefer, choose whatever you like and rock on. I'm simply pointing out your concern is not a common one, and probably for a reason.
    Well, you’re probably Right, it probably isn’t a common concerns as far as I know, there’s probably not a whole lot of people that are even aware of it. Including me.

But even after somebody already has already said that they’ve actually had their hammer get pulled back unintentionally, that you’re going to actually talk to me about self-evaluation and that maybe my concerns are missed placed?....lol.

But AnyWho, I’m not trying to tell you what to do. I just simply responded to your initial response about your unneeded thoughts about people seeing this as a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I can see that you are very detail oriented and want to really think it through. That is commendable! But I would mention that in the Forum people will see things differently and will offer their views. I know JTQ well enough to know that he means no offense. No one is advocating for or against your conversion to spurless. Some might not not see what you see and some will. That is what makes the Forum enjoyable.

I am putting spurless hammers on all of our deep conceal PX4s and leaving spurs on those that are not. It's all good.
    [emoji20]

I never took offense but I do kind of feel that somebody else’s perspective is trying to overlap mine… LOL. Bottom line, we do what we think needs to be done to be safe. And of course, different situations call for different options. That’s what it’s all about. But, some things can be debated too. Hell, I’ve had my mind changed plenty of times on many things.

Common?

Interesting... Perhaps if we expand our parameters a bit... when I think about a classification where hammers and double action trigger pulls are found together, I consider revolvers. It is common in the revolver community to have spurless hammers on double action revolvers that get concealed. It prevents snagging on the way out when drawn (another advantage to it on the PX4, as well) and avoids accidental cocking if the cylinder is not tightly bound.

Perhaps it is less common in the semi-auto world, but very common among revolver folks. Perhaps since I spent many year in revolvers it seems natural to me to have applications to go spurless.

I think that spurless might be catching on as it is now offered as an option. Time will tell...

User Tag List