Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Man. Great post. I had a 45 PX4 a few years ago that did this. I highly suspected the extractor. I wish I had followed through. I traded the unit in with disclosure for a 92 variant.
    When the PX4 .45 first came out I was among the first to get one. It suffered from the Failure to go to Battery after 50 rounds consistently. I put 2,600 rounds through it and sent it back to Beretta twice. They could not figure it out. They refunded my money.

I went back to the PX4 Full sized .40 for years and was disappointed. Later, I tried again and got a flawless .45 Storm (my current EDC) It was so good that I got another one later for beating up on at the range and training. I called it my .45 SD (Stunt Double). Later, they started making an actual SD!

My point is that back in the beginning they did not know how to fix it. They learned through time that .45s are a breed of their own and needed a certain tweaking occasionally. So many came back at first with that issue that they knew exactly what to do about it. 1911s often are sensitive to loading issues due to extractor issues. My thought is that the diameter/length ratio of .45 is very different and needs to be set up accordingly. Now Beretta knows exactly what to do if you want to try again.

My shooting partner's .45 SD (actual Special Duty) suffered from that and they fixed in a couple of weeks.... flawless performance ever since.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-18-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the information.

I'd like to try an SD. the whole package is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Thanks for the information.

I'd like to try an SD. the whole package is cool.
    I also like that the SD has the PVD coating on many internal parts. The PVD wears less quickly than Bruniton. I will try to add pictures of an SD trigger bar & a regular .45's @about 11,000 rounds, as an example. Name:  SD trigger bar @10,726 .jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  39.3 KBName:  45 trigger bar @11,335.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  42.0 KB.

Other than the trigger bar, the hammer and sear are not PVD coated. So the action is not dramatically affected.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-18-2018 at 10:32 PM.

I also have broken down the springs and pins into categories for rotation.
    The springs are divided into those that affect safety or cycle of operation and those that affect trigger pull. I try to not replace the springs pertaining to trigger pull if not necessary.

Springs that apply to safety:
    Firing pin block plunger spring: Every 25,000 or so. This gets dirty and getting stuck in the upward position would be dangerous.
    Trigger bar spring: Every 30,000. The trigger bar needs to vigorously pop up to fire quickly.
    Hammer pin retaining spring: If it is low or weak your hammer pin can drift out and catch on clothing, holster or skin. In .45 they can drift if not solid. I go by feel and height of top bar.
    Slide catch spring: Depending on if you go to slide lock a lot, replace when weak (should go a long time)
    Decocker (safety) lever spring: The firing pin helps stabilize the decocker shaft, but a strong, new spring will assist in keeping things in place.
    Magazine release spring: It is strong and solid. Should last a long time (but watch the catch on the mag release outer housing).
    Disassembly latch spring: I change this every 20,000. It is a thin spring and doesn't like being removed for cleaning.

If you are not sure of the spring's health and can't tell by feel, lay it down next to a new one and see if it is shorter or bent more.

Springs that apply to function:
    Extractor springs: In .45 an overly tight extractor will impede cycling. Too light and it can jump off the rim of the brass under fire. While it is true that the extractor does not extract while firing (the brass pushes the slide back), the extractor's resistance directs the casing's clearing of the ejection port while ejecting. Beretta shaped the breech face in a curvature that will direct the brass in case of extractor breakage or failure. The PX4 is designed to work with a broken or missing extractor. I go by "feel" of the spring's tension.

Springs that apply to trigger pull:
    Hammer spring: I try to make it last forever. Light primer hits will indicate a need to replace.
    Trigger spring: The lighter the better... except... the trigger spring needs to briskly return the trigger forward fast enough for rapid fire.
    Firing pin spring: The hammer strike must overcome it. I clean in the firing pin channel every 5,000 rounds and test firing pin fluidity.
    Sear spring: This must be pushed forward by the trigger bar. It should last a long time. Indications of problems- failing to catch the hammer when cocking.

Pins: Drift pins should be permanent (hammer spring cap pin, sear pivot pin)
    The hammer frame pin can get its slot for the retention spring worn. Indications are failure to hold even a new spring.
    Decocker/safety lever pin: Every 3 times it goes in and out, I replace it. If too loose it can drift and stop lever movement. The older the levers, the more frequent the pin change.
    Extractor pin: I try to go 3 or 4 times with it. The extractor smooths a path on it that can assist free movement.
    The trigger pivot pin can look worn, but run a toothpick over it to verify that it is only the finish that is worn.

If anyone wants clarity or picture explanations of these details, let me know.

Name:  Storm 1 total refit clean 6-4-17 @9,391 (24).jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  64.0 KB
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-19-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Hammertime
    Wow dude, you are an incredible resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I appreciate the exaggeration! I look forward to any questions or more in depth study of what any and all parts on a PX4 do and how they interact with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    No shit. It might be time to try a PX4.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    How was the recoil of the PX4 vs other .45s?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Compared to 1911s that I have shot or owned and 5 years with Ruger P345s, the PX4 Storm 45 is a pleasure to shoot. Recoil is not sharp, but pushes back like a 45. However, the grip shape and straight line barrel combined with the recoil spring and buffer system make it smooth and pleasant to shoot.
    Compared to a 9mm, or a 40, it drives back harder and has more wear on your hand after a few hundred rounds than a 40 would, and makes shooting a 9mm akin to taking a nap.

But, compared to other forty-fives it is so much better, more pleasant and smoother to shoot.

I have also fired 45 XDMs and did not find them to be as pleasant as the PX4 Storm.

If you try to imagine what your full-sized PX4 would feel like pushing out a 230 grain slug, be aware that the 45 PX4 is wider, beefier and a little bigger. The small backstrap on a 45 is the same hand feel as the large backstrap on a 40 or 9.
    The HSTs +P are not as pleasant to shoot in 45.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-20-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The late Stephen A. Camp reviewed the PX4 .45 in one of the later reviews before he passed away. He shot a lot of 1911's and P220's.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/s...etta%20PX4.htm

For me, the 45-caliber PX4 “feels” more comfortable in the hand than the Glock 21, Springfield Armory XD, SIG-SAUER P220 or FNP 45. I admit that this is entirely subjective and does not hold true for all shooters. The PX4 also seems smaller “in person” than its “paper dimensions” suggest. I believe that this service pistol could be carried concealed without undue effort.

User Tag List