Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm SD View Post

Most of those rounds have been Winchester white box, but I have been trying the Sellier & Bellot 230 grain FMJ target loads.

Attachment 26087

Do you feel any difference in their report? Side by side, do they feel different?

Pistol round count 37,100
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 05-07-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Do you feel any difference in their report? Side by side, do they feel different?

Pistol round count 37,100
    It is very difficult for me to tell if there is a difference. I think the Sellier & Bellot ammo may produce slightly more recoil and be a little "hotter" load, but I have shot both Winchester white box and Sellier & Bellot back to back during the same shooting session and I noticed very little, if any, difference in the way they feel. I can often tell if there is a difference by where the brass accumulates on the range. For example, when you had some boxes of weak Winchester rounds, your brass was accumulating only a few feet behind you. Normally, they end up about 10 to 15 feet behind you. With that said, I found the brass in the same area for both brands. However, I have had a lot of inconsistencies with the Winchester white box ammo. Crimped cases and weak rounds have been common. I even had one in which the bullet was loaded backwards. I haven't had those inconsistencies with the Sellier & Bellot.

Attachment 26086

My current round count for my SD is 22,643.

You show a picture of wear progress of your slide, indicating that you have 22,643 rounds on it, but how many rounds do you have on the Cerakote finish?

You show a picture of wear progress of your slide, indicating that you have 22,643 rounds on it, but how many rounds do you have on the Cerakote finish?
    The cerakote finish on the SD has 14,115 rounds on it so far. I think it has held up well.

I have found there are advantages and disadvantages to each model and caliber. Many of those factors are related to their capabilities as an EDC. However, my decision to shoot the SD in .45 has little to do with that. I am known for being rough on things, so when I read about the PX4 Storm SD and its claimed durability, I thought it sounded like the perfect gun for me. (That may have been just a good excuse because I thought it looked cool). Since my time away from work is very limited, my shooting time has to serve for both practice and recreation. A lot of extra time spent cleaning can take the "recreation" out of shooting pretty quickly. I found the SD easier to clean compared to my other Storms. Also, there is a "fun factor" in shooting .45 that I don't feel as much with the others. The extra recoil makes it a little more challenging for me. As the round count on the SD has increased, I've also noticed that the PVD coated parts do show less wear than the same parts at the same round count on your full size PX4 Storm .45. So, it looks like it may actually live up to some of those durability claims. Overall, that PX4 Storm SD was a gun that I really liked and wanted from the first time I saw it, and I enjoy shooting it.
    Many competitors with .45s will use reduced power loads and lighter rebound springs. You do not. Does shooting .45 ACP for 200 rounds per session, twice per week, hurt your hands, fingers, wrists or elbows?
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 05-08-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Many competitors with .45s will use reduced power loads and lighter rebound springs. You do not. Does shooting .45 ACP for 200 rounds per session, twice per week, hurt your hands, fingers, wrists or elbows?
    I had an issue in which my right wrist was sore and hurting a few months back. That is when I added the Talon Grips. They did seem to add a bit of cushion and create a better experience at the range, but I think the wrist issue was actually caused by typing on the computer too much. I added a wrist pad at work and the pain went away in a couple of days and has not returned. As far as any other discomforts from shooting the .45, I haven't had any. I think that you get used to what you use. I can understand that there are situation where this would not apply, but as for my situation, I am used to shooting the .45 PX4 Storm SD and it doesn't bother my hands, fingers, wrists, or elbows.

My round count for my PX4 Storm SD reached 23,043 on Saturday (5/12/2018). When I took the slide off, I noticed something different. I have a crack in the polymer on the frame. I mentioned it to PX4 Storm Tracker and he sent a picture of his full size PX4 Storm .45 with a crack in the polymer at the same spot. His also shows a wear mark (top arrow in the picture) from the trigger.

Name:  SD crack 1.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  60.1 KB
    Polymer crack in the SD

Name:  45 frame polymer crack.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  47.4 KB
    Bottom arrow shows the polymer crack in the full size PX4 Storm .45 in the same spot as is on the SD.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this issue.

My round count for my PX4 Storm SD reached 23,043 on Saturday (5/12/2018). When I took the slide off, I noticed something different. I have a crack in the polymer on the frame. I mentioned it to PX4 Storm Tracker and he sent a picture of his full size PX4 Storm .45 with a crack in the polymer at the same spot.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this issue.
    Additional note- The crack in mine has been there and unchanged for about 7,000 rounds. It does not seem to affect function nor has it increased.

Pistol round count 37,700
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 05-14-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Going out sight seeing?

There is a difference that I have observed in tracking the front sight on a PX4 .45 compared to a PX4 in .40 or 9mm, a Compact or SubCompact. The difference is not just the “amount” of recoil, but the nature of it.

A description of the difference in feel IMO is a 9mm will pop up very slightly and settle back in place quickly. The .40 pops up farther and is snappier, then settles down again. The .45 will pop up a little farther yet and more solidly, while pushing everything back as well.

A noticeable difference (if not compensated for) would be that a 9 or .40 will pop up and come back down to the same spot, if your grip is consistent. A .45 will come down again, but elsewhere if your grip is not adapted to this type of recoil.

I have adapted my grip and arm positions to .45 so as to not prejudice trigger pull pressure or direction because of a different recoil. I am able to rapid fire with good accuracy and speed. I have to use a different firing technique for 9 or .40. My point being that adaptation can be trained in, but it might be discouraging to a new person used to a 9 and finding the same shooting technique does not get as good of a result.

Just sharing information, not a recommendation either way. This is not about how to grip a pistol. There are many professional instructors available to teach that. I’m just pointing out that there is a difference that requires a different approach to recoil management.

Pistol round count 38,000

Updates: Small part breakage & maintenance update

When I got home from the range today I took my slide off to do a field cleaning. As I wiped the rear left rail area of the frame I heard a small metal something hit the floor. I figured, that can’t be good. The head of the lever pin broke off.

Name:  Broken lever pin PX4 .45 @38,900.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  44.1 KB

I always keep spare parts and had 2 new ones and 2 spare o-rings. I was planning to disassemble the entire pistol @40,000 rounds, but @38,900 it was close enough. With the head of the pin missing there would be nothing to solidly keep the pin from drifting. This could cause the firing pin block plunger lever to misalign or come off. Or worse- loss of levers and slide binding. Not smart to risk. So, I disassembled the frame a little early and did the full detail cleaning and replaced the lever pin, o-ring and hammer pin.

Since the action is so well worn and polished to itself, now that it is clean and relubed inside, I have a 6 lb DA trigger pull and a 3 lb 10 oz SA.

Pistol round count 38,900
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 05-26-2018 at 08:58 PM.

User Tag List