Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Right? I have several pistols that haven't been cleaned for at least a case or two of ammo. One G19 hasn't been cleaned since 2016. No noticeable performance impact.
    Are you saying that nothing gets cleaned on those pistols or just the bore does not?

Right? I have several pistols that haven't been cleaned for at least a case or two of ammo. One G19 hasn't been cleaned since 2016. No noticeable performance impact.
    I'm just going to keep shooting it, adding lube and shoot it some more. Marvelous pistols.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Are you saying that nothing gets cleaned on those pistols or just the bore does not?
    Nothing, maybe once a year in fall I'll give them a simple green bath and blast of brake cleaner; then punch the barrel, lube, and re-assemble. I know some enjoy cleaning in a meditative way but I don't see the purpose as we are in the 21st century and most reputable service pistols will run just fine.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Nothing, maybe once a year in fall I'll give them a simple green bath and blast of brake cleaner; then punch the barrel, lube, and re-assemble. I know some enjoy cleaning in a meditative way but I don't see the purpose as we are in the 21st century and most reputable service pistols will run just fine.
    Yes, cleaning can be cathartic and meditative... but not twice per week! If there is a way to spend less time cleaning and I find it to be advantageous... I'm for it. I have other things to put energy and time into. Shoot more, clean less...

Site Supporter
    I heard back from Beretta about the suppressor on a PX4 SD.
    They do not recommend it because the additional weight will stress the rotation of the barrel, causing stoppages.
    I would imagine that it would also wear down the cam on the cam block and the cam slot in the barrel.

I asked why the SD has the longer barrel. The only response was that it was not for a suppressor.

Any additional input on this @e_stern ?
    Any time you change a reciprocal component of a pistol system, it will negatively (normally, not in every case) affect long term durability.

The main issue with threading/suppressing a PX4 is that the rotational lock up system is unfriendly to threaded on devices such as cans or comps unless they are pinned in place.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

That is a very long process for someone that shoots 2x week. How often do you do the cleaning you described?
    The extensive process of bore cleaning that I described is done around every 2,000 to 2,400 rounds. I usually shoot 400 rounds per week, so I end up doing that cleaning every 5 to 6 weeks. This is done as part of my full cleaning protocol in which I use solvent (Hoppe’s #9), skewers, and paper towels to clean as much carbon off of the slide and frame as I can get to. In addition to this cleaning, I do a “range cleaning” after each shooting session (200 rounds), and a field cleaning like what you described in “My PX 4 .45 ACP cleaning protocols” every 800 rounds. My “range cleaning” is done at my business after leaving the range. My range pistol is not my carry pistol. I am not going to load it with self defense ammo, so I don’t worry about getting it clean before I leave the range.

I really do not enjoy cleaning, but I do like to see my pistol clean and enjoy it much more when it is functioning flawlessly. I was curious how many rounds you put through your pistols each year before you do the process of simple green, brake cleaner, and re-lube that you described?
    Last edited by Storm SD; 04-24-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Signs of long term wear

Attachment 24201

This area is where the barrel rotates when the slide goes forward. The barrel lug does not directly ride on these contact points, but instead pulls away as it rotates forward. The wear comes when the pistol is fired and vibration, combined with slight lateral shaking of the barrel contacts the polymer buffering.

Prognosis? It should not affect anything, as the gap is smaller than the lug’s dimensions and the remaining polymer will still cushion. If not, the barrel and rails might show wear over time to the finish. If, through long term exposure, the rails are worn from the barrel’s contact, it could weaken the rails and cause a safety issue or terminate the pistol’s usability.

Time will tell. I’ll keep close tabs on it. Long duration usage of the PX4 .45 is still uncharted territory, as far as I can find.
    Equipment update

After more than 5,000 rounds this area has not changed at all. No additional wear, no spreading of polymer decay. Action remains as smooth as glass and reliability is perfect. I got through the problematic ammo reported in post #130 of this thread and function is back to flawless.

@31,174 rounds the slide rebound spring was changed prematurely. So, a new one was installed @35,900.

Pistol round count 36,200
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 04-26-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm SD View Post
    I really do not enjoy cleaning, but I do like to see my pistol clean and enjoy it much more when it is functioning flawlessly.
    Have you tried a more modern solvent? M-Pro Gun Cleaner and Boretech Carbon Remover are two products I've had good success with.

My magazine cleaning protocol differs with the magazine’s assignment.

There are many that espouse the practice of putting a light coat of oil in there. I do not. When you talk with gun manufacturers they will sing the “light coat of oil” anthem about everything. But... when you talk to ammunition manufacturers they will say, “just say No to oils near ammo”. I have always hoped that gun companies and ammo companies could sit down together and share notes. Also note that the PX4 owners manual says not to get oil on your ammo. It could cause malfunctions or excessive chamber pressure. (So don’t oil that center bar of your slide that sits on your loaded mag).
    I have performed some very informal tests with good-quality ammo and oiled magazines. I spray a bit of CLP on a rag and wipe down the magazine. Then the magazine is loaded and set aside for a month. Then the magazine is used. I have never had an issue with any ammo, neither ignition issues or excessive velocity distributions. I have torn down magazines, looking for where the oil goes and what crud gets mixed with it, and I have seen very little debris unless I use too much lube.

As such, my personal belief is use enough lube to protect the magazine from corrosion caused by use (just a thin film), but not so much as for the guts of the magazine to attract and hold dust and lint. In sandy environments, any lube seems to be a dust magnet and is not suitable for magazines.

On blued magazines or in sandy environments, I have also used Renaissance Wax as it does a good job of protecting without attracting any dust and lint. NP3 metal finish also is awesome here as is the Beretta sand-resistant finish.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-28-2018 at 01:43 PM.

User Tag List