Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Update: New barrel

The finish on the new barrel is excellent... even, smooth and dark. It is headed for the range Saturday.

Name:  New Barrel .jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  56.7 KB
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 03-01-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Front end job

Since I have a new barrel, I decided to renew the front end and not wait until old parts are worn by new ones or new parts mated to old ones that would be replaced. I installed a new cam block (from an SD) and a new disassembly latch & spring.

Name:  Front end job.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  55.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Front end job

Since I have a new barrel, I decided to renew the front end and not wait until old parts are worn by new ones or new parts mated to old ones that would be replaced. I installed a new cam block (from an SD) and a new disassembly latch & spring.

Name:  Front end job.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  55.9 KB
    Smart! Good idea to do that!
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Carbon Footprint

After installing the new parts I took my PX4 .45 for a spin. 368 rounds today (8 were +P HSTs) with perfect function and reliability. Having shot my .40 in its absence, I forgot about the benefit of an aged pistol. The slide action is as smooth as glass because of self polishing through use.

When it was time to clean it, I noticed a lot less carbon on the outside of the barrel, in the slide and on the block. As I previous wrote, it was getting much dirtier than before for thousands of rounds (hundreds, the day it cracked open).
    My first consideration was to fault the ammo. But, I used the same ammo from the same lot today.

Take home lesson: If there appears something different, more dirtiness, carbon, copper or debris... check the integrity of all parts and connections before dismissing it as ammo related.

Again, I am most fortunate that firing with a cracked barrel for thousands of rounds did not damage anything else.

Now I have learned to take note of the carbon footprint variations.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 03-03-2018 at 04:32 PM.

They did not see this as a warranty repair.
    Did they give a reason why not?

Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    Did they give a reason why not?
    boing, They said that it was just past the 3 year old point, at which they would not warranty. I do not agree that using factory target loads in a production pistol should split the barrel @31,174 rounds. It would be a metallurgical defect of some kind and the manufacturer's responsibility. They gave no other reason.

I do not agree that using factory target loads in a production pistol should split the barrel @31,174 rounds.
    You mentioned that you shoot 230gr +P. Do you happen to know how many +P rounds that barrel saw?

I chalk it up to overcleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    You mentioned that you shoot 230gr +P. Do you happen to know how many +P rounds that barrel saw?

I chalk it up to overcleaning.
    Perhaps over cleaning played a little role, or maybe it actually helped. Sometimes in cleaning, the barrel gets a little warm with scrubbing (but not at the chamber, where it ruptured) We would use 28 gauge brushes for the chamber, occasionally.

I would only shoot +Ps the first day on a new slide rebound spring. I take battered chamber rounds and fire them off. I usually fire 8-10 rounds, in this case. 6 slide rebound spring changes would make it approximately 48-60 total +Ps, as my best approximation. Definitely, less than 100, months apart in timing.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 03-04-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Signs of long term wear

This is a picture of the rectangular cam block well of my PX4 .45. The left pointer shows where the polymer has worn off and the steel framing is showing. The sides of the well have been down to the metal for a long time.
    The left pointer shows where the rail is getting worn (right under the grease). The right, lower pointer shows where it wore through and the polymer cushion disappeared. I’ve heard of other Storms losing their polymer here at a younger age.

Name:  Rail wear.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  47.7 KB

This area is where the barrel rotates when the slide goes forward. The barrel lug does not directly ride on these contact points, but instead pulls away as it rotates forward. The wear comes when the pistol is fired and vibration, combined with slight lateral shaking of the barrel contacts the polymer buffering.

Prognosis? It should not affect anything, as the gap is smaller than the lug’s dimensions and the remaining polymer will still cushion. If not, the barrel and rails might show wear over time to the finish. If, through long term exposure, the rails are worn from the barrel’s contact, it could weaken the rails and cause a safety issue or terminate the pistol’s usability.

Time will tell. I’ll keep close tabs on it. Long duration usage of the PX4 .45 is still uncharted territory, as far as I can find.

Back when I was doing motocross, I went woods riding with a guy who was very fast (way out of my league). He ran around the course very fast! When he got back I pointed out that he lost a foot peg and couple of other pieces. He said, “When you go fast enough, long enough, the stuff you don’t need just falls off.”
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 03-04-2018 at 01:46 PM.

To be on the safe side...

I sent multiple pictures from different angles of the cam block well (pictured above) to Beretta. They were examined by the Head Gunsmith, Parts Manager & Product Manager and whatever people they chose to share them with. They concluded that there was nothing to be concerned about and nothing that would impede function or safety.

I put 310 rounds through it today without any problems. Brought it home, cleaned and inspected... no issues and no increase in polymer decay.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 03-07-2018 at 06:49 PM.

User Tag List