Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

generally speaking, the cheaper the ammo, the dirtier the powder.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    generally speaking, the cheaper the ammo, the dirtier the powder.
    That's right! You pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

I use Federal Premium HSTs for all defense ammo in all 3 calibers (9mm, 10mm-> .40, 11.45mm) (.355, .40, .451)

At 300 rounds per shooting session, twice per week, cost must be a factor (even with my sponsor)
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-07-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Update: Equipment failure

This thread was about getting the PX4 Storm .45 to 30,000. I did. However, at 31,174 rounds the barrel cracked. It continued to fire for hundreds of rounds before the lack of compression caused ejection problems.

I called Beretta and am sending it to them for a new barrel. Turn over time should be short. I'll put some miles on my .40 meanwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Update: Equipment failure

This thread was about getting the PX4 Storm .45 to 30,000. I did. However, at 31,174 rounds the barrel cracked. It continued to fire for hundreds of rounds before the lack of compression caused ejection problems.

I called Beretta and am sending it to them for a new barrel. Turn over time should be short. I'll put some miles on my .40 meanwhile.
    Have any pics?
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Have any pics?
    Yes, I do! I had to do a bit more trimming to get the picture on. That's why I delayed.

Name:  Broken barrel (7).jpg
Views: 954
Size:  42.8 KB
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-12-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Yes, I do! I had to do a bit more trimming to get the picture on. That's why I delayed.

Name:  Broken barrel (7).jpg
Views: 954
Size:  42.8 KB
    Wow. That’s a serious crack!
    Shoot more, post less...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Was the pistol able to un-lock to clear it?

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Wow. That’s a serious crack!
    There had been a small build up of carbon on top of my cam (of the cam block) each time for a few thousand rounds. This was unusual. I also noticed far more carbon building up on the barrel and in the slide. Then, that day it started spitting a little. Next, it started to fail to eject well. I opened it up on the loading table and....

It is impressive that it did not blow up nor damage the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Was the pistol able to un-lock to clear it?
    Yes at first, but not ultimately. I'll explain.
    In the past, when loading up 4 magazines in a hurry a round that came from the factory with the case mouth pinched by the loading presses can get past you. That will get stuck in the chamber. I keep a 6" rod of fiberglass in all caliber sizes in my range bag. It gets so stuck that you have to put the rod down the bore from the muzzle (safely) and whack it down on a piece of wood pointed downrange to push it out without damaging the pistol.

Well, that's what I had to do to get the last spent casing out. I could see the casing deformed by the crack. That is when I decided to cease any usage and found the crack in the barrel.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-12-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Update: Equipment repair

Beretta fitted my PX4 .45 range pistol with a new barrel. The slide checked out Ok, as did the cam block. With the size of the split and the amount of rounds put through before discovering the split.... it is impressive that nothing (including my hands) was damaged.

It seems that the split was closed, for a while, when not under pressure. Eventually, it just opened up more.

They did not see this as a warranty repair.

It should be on the range, headed for 40,000 this weekend.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-27-2018 at 04:08 PM.

User Tag List