Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

A suggestion for Talon Grip users-

If you are going to use Talon grips on your PX4 Storm and might want to do maintenance one day, you can set them up like this:

If you first cut out holes for the hammer assembly pin and hammer/frame pin, then separate the backstrap’s edges, you won’t have to replace your Talon grips every time you disassemble.

Name:  Talon grips  (1).jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  66.0 KB
    Name:  Talon grips  (2).jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  55.5 KB
    Attachment 23594
    Attachment 23595
    Attachment 23596
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-05-2018 at 03:54 PM.

OR buy a different brand that is already set up this way. I bought a different brand, for less money, that was this way and have it on multiple PX4's. I also didn't buy the full wrap ones, as I think the back strap has decent texture and I like to be able to swap if it is someone else's gun/preference.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    OR buy a different brand that is already set up this way. I bought a different brand, for less money, that was this way and have it on multiple PX4's. I also didn't buy the full wrap ones, as I think the back strap has decent texture and I like to be able to swap if it is someone else's gun/preference.
    Cool. What is that different brand? How well do they hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Cool. What is that different brand? How well do they hold up?
    As far as I can tell, they should hold up just as well as the Talon's. (aka I don't have 50K rounds test gun/bullets) I first ordered Talon's (first brand/name I was exposed to, heard recommended) and ordered them for my subcompact PX4. They were cut wrong (circle didn't line up with the Beretta logo, looked like they slipped in the cutter while being made) and it bothered me. Several recommended just DIYing it with grip/ladder tape, but I wasn't happy with my attempt, and black was OOS at my local store. I looked over several brands, contrasting and comparing and settled on Grip-on's. They are easier found on Ebay then on Amazon, but are on both and he appears to be a small enough business that his own website doesn't make sense. They seemed comparable to the Talon's and he has some choices (full wrap that goes around the backstrap, or partial/my preference, which leaves the backstrap, removable).
    There was at least one other brand I looked at, which left the pins open, however they didn't have as much side coverage as either the Talon's or Grip-on's. I will let others do their own research, as preferences are personal, but did think it smart to say, hey, there are options.
    I nagged him for a while so he produced the compact ones, which I have bought the four of.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    As far as I can tell, they should hold up just as well as the Talon's. (aka I don't have 50K rounds test gun/bullets) I first ordered Talon's (first brand/name I was exposed to, heard recommended) and ordered them for my subcompact PX4. They were cut wrong (circle didn't line up with the Beretta logo, looked like they slipped in the cutter while being made) and it bothered me. Several recommended just DIYing it with grip/ladder tape, but I wasn't happy with my attempt, and black was OOS at my local store. I looked over several brands, contrasting and comparing and settled on Grip-on's. They are easier found on Ebay then on Amazon, but are on both and he appears to be a small enough business that his own website doesn't make sense. They seemed comparable to the Talon's and he has some choices (full wrap that goes around the backstrap, or partial/my preference, which leaves the backstrap, removable).
    There was at least one other brand I looked at, which left the pins open, however they didn't have as much side coverage as either the Talon's or Grip-on's. I will let others do their own research, as preferences are personal, but did think it smart to say, hey, there are options.
    I nagged him for a while so he produced the compact ones, which I have bought the four of.
    That is a very good point, that there can be other options. We also had trouble in fitting the Talon grips to our SubCompact.
    You definitely did your homework there!
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-06-2018 at 05:35 PM.

I recommended cleaning inside the slide of the PX4 Storm .45 every 5,000 rounds, but...

I would also note that the 9mms are not exempt from this.

A Compact's parts dirty-

Name:  Compact dirty (1).jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  51.0 KB
    Attachment 23617

Now clean

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23618[/ATTACH
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-06-2018 at 07:22 PM.

The page loaded differently than intended above. The last picture is of the parts from a SubCompact.

Another characteristic of the .45 makes it less advantageous to have fancy sights.

I run stock white 3 dot sights on all of our PX4s. I do this so that we have unity and familiarity if any of us needs to pick up any Storm for defensive use in a hurry. While it is true that I could get Ameriglo , Trijicon or fancy sights on all of them... The .45 mostly negates that.

After a few magazines the front sight is carbon-gray no matter if it was red, orange or white underneath. The .45 SD's extra 1/2" of barrel seems to keep it from this build up.

I usually take a small piece of damp paper towel and clean the front dot every 36-72 rounds, when possible. .40s can go 200 rounds without needing a wiping, but .45s cover the muzzle quickly.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-07-2018 at 05:07 PM.

bullseye powder? it's known for being very dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    bullseye powder? it's known for being very dirty.
    DAB, Back in the day... when I used to hand load all my own fodder I used Bullseye, Blue Dot (for fast burning) and 2400 for slow burning. However, in recent years the cost and availability of components made it easier and cheaper to use Winchester white box target loads. I cannot guess what the powder would be.

Since the .45 normally caters to the 1911 it might be set at a burn rate for a 5" barrel. Night fire does not indicate much burning in front of the muzzle (like a .357 or .44 magnum). Your idea is a good one, but not something that I am in a position to take advantage of currently.

Much appreciated, though.

User Tag List