Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Dial it back.
    Why did you have to use that phrase. I haven't been able to get this out of my head since reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I have a dumb question:

What do you do to keep accurate records of round count?

I try to count my empty boxes when I’m done shooting, but after a few hundred, I lose track.

Some of you guys have specific counts down to the ones digit. Just curious how you do it.
    My method is not very impressive, but being poor helps. If I know we have exactly x rounds of practice ammo per shooter, and I design a practice session for exactly that amount, if we return home with empty magazines I know exactly how much I've shot. If we have to stop early for some reason, it's easy to look at the drills / reps we didn't get to shoot and reduce that amount from the ammo we were planning to spend.

When shooting matches it's the minimum round counts of the stages plus the amount of extra shots taken. Granted, sometimes if I don't have the opportunity to write it down immediately it can get a little hazy, but I'm unlikely to be off for more than a few rounds - an insignificant error margin.

I have all shooting sessions marked into my Google calendar and create a separate entry right next to it with all my round counts for the year. That way I have access to all the data, can make corrections on the fly, and it's backed up into the cloud. If there's no Internet connection I just write it down in my notebook and make the data entries when I can.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I have a dumb question:

What do you do to keep accurate records of round count?

I try to count my empty boxes when I’m done shooting, but after a few hundred, I lose track.

Some of you guys have specific counts down to the ones digit. Just curious how you do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I usually only shoot one or two guns during a range session. I just tear off the box flap if shooting factory ammo and each flap = 50 rounds, of course. If I'm shooting my own loads I just note how many empty boxes there are now + partial. I suppose if someone was shooting multiple 9mms, for example, that'd be a bother. If I'm shooting two guns it's normally a handgun and a long gun or a revolver and a magazine fed gun so the counts are readily apparent which was which.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

They don't have an app for that?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    They kinda do. I use this one and like it on iOS. I also use Evernote to back it up.

Name:  73279CFA-22C6-4061-A675-3F717676D55C.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  33.9 KB

Authentic

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost66 View Post
    Let me guess, you have a PX4 Storm page on facebook. I bet you post a lot of uselessness trying to impress the people on there or sound off on every post trying to impress them with your "knowledge". Let me guess, You have never posted a single target or video of yourself shooting, proving all you claim.. Unlike Langdon (who really documented his work) I bet your profile is fake too.
    Can a PX make it to 100,000 rounds? probably. Like I said, with a rebuild (new springs/ small parts etc.) any pistol today can do that. Even the 1911s from WW2 have and still do....
    I have shot with PX4 Storm Tracker for about 12 or 13 years now and I will vouch that he is as detailed, authentic and capable in everything that he does as you see in the details that he journals in this thread. The information is valuable to anyone who owns or plans to own a PX4 Storm 45 and wants to know how to maintain the pistol and what problems that can arise. Your accusations are unwarranted. I also know that even if this thread didn't exist or if he still shot other brands of pistols, he would still keep the same detailed records as he has since I have known him.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm SD View Post
    I have shot with PX4 Storm Tracker for about 12 or 13 years now and I will vouch that he is as detailed, authentic and capable in everything that he does as you see in the details that he journals in this thread. The information is valuable to anyone who owns or plans to own a PX4 Storm 45 and wants to know how to maintain the pistol and what problems that can arise. Your accusations are unwarranted. I also know that even if this thread didn't exist or if he still shot other brands of pistols, he would still keep the same detailed records as he has since I have known him.
    Don’t worry about the negativity, it has now ceased.
    #RESIST

“Counting” on a pistol...

Keeping a precise round count has advantages in pursuing a long term relationship with a pistol . Keeping a round count takes the guesswork out of maintenance and increases the likelihood of reliability.

Often when deciding on pin, spring or part replacement the “feel” of a spring’s tension can be subjective or deceptive. Also, how clean things are or are not can affect the feel of a part. A scheduled changing based on round count keeps it consistent.

Some things are more important to maintain than others. A guide rod assembly (slide rebound spring) should be changed every 5,000 rounds (3,000 if you use a lot of +Ps). You can squeeze 6k out of a PX4 SubCompact 9 spring since it uses a progressive spring shared by the .40.
    While you could go more and still function, this shock absorber protects the cam block, steel frame insert and can make your pistol last longer. Some springs should be rotated for safety, as well.
    I have itemized my categorizing in this thread on page 3, post 24 https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....on-usage/page3

Disassembly for detailed cleaning is also dependent upon round count... to know when to do it. You can’t see the inside from the outside. You could also decide it could go longer between cleanings or should not have gone that long (ammo & lube choices can affect this).

This also gives an advantage in maintaining my EDC and other PX4s. I know how many rounds I can get away with before certain parts or springs become worn or would need refreshing.

As you watch your round count build your confidence in your pistol builds with it!

Pistol round count 102,500

Excellent info! I am a member of the PX4 Storm group, great group of folks!

I reached 105,500 rounds on my PX4 Storm .45 G range pistol. All is well. All is smooth and functioning perfectly, surprisingly tight for an old pistol.

I disassembled the slide for a detailed cleaning of the slide’s interior channels and internal parts. Firing pin, firing pin plunger, firing pin block plunger and extractor are all original. The levers would have been, but I switched to Carry levers @81,200 rounds https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page32 post 316.

I replaced the extractor spring and firing pin spring @30,000 as a precaution, but felt no difference. So, I’ve left them in without replacement for 75,500 rounds and they still feel fine. I will see how far they will go. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....on-usage/page9 post 83.

@102,800 rounds I noticed a chip inside the chamber, which was spreading. The barrel had 22,800 rounds on it and was otherwise still good. We contacted MidwayUSA, from which it came. They said we would have to call Beretta. Beretta said that they don’t recognize Midway. We called Midway who gave us the authorization verification to sell Beretta parts. Beretta finally gave in and let us send the barrel back to be inspected to verify if it is a manufacturing flaw (pictured). With the current Covid scare many of their employees are working at home.
    Those that are familiar with this thread know that I keep spare parts on hand, including a barrel. So, shooting continues.

I replaced the slide rebound spring @103,700.

Name:  Storm Tracker's barrel, chipped w 22,800 rounds.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  18.4 KB

User Tag List