Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

[QUOTE=PX4 Storm Tracker;928917]Sorry for being slow to reply, busy day at the range. Yes! Good point. I'm glad you brought that up. Even though I am not troubled with a weak upper body or hands, I usually do like to cock the hammer before racking. This would really show up as a disadvantage doing a press-check. Fortunately, a press-check is normally done before decocking. I also have lighter hammer tension, so overcoming it is not as difficult as a stock pistol.[quote]
    I guess I’ll just have to try that one of these days hopefully here in the near future when I get my mom out of the house and take her to the range and pop off a few rounds on some of my guns as well as her cute little Taurus 357 snubnose with the two little pink handgrips and see if she thinks the slide on any of my Storms feels harder to rack whether the hammer’s cocked back first or not. Who knows, I may be wowed.

If I only had one Storm that had to do everything I might favor a hammer with a spur, but I’m liking the options here. I have already found that the comfort of knowing that nothing can accidentally hit my spur while holstered has been good these first few days.

Pistol round count 82,700
    See, that’s all I’m trying to figure out for myself. I could really care less what other people’s reasons are on why they would want a spurred hammer or one that’s low profile because I still have my own perspective in my own mind, on my guns and are still losing sight on why my three pistols would be better off left with their original spurred hammers. Especially now that mine are type G’s and no longer have a safety.

But I’m curious; I don’t think I’ve asked this already, but when you said the type G’s weren’t normally sold to the public, what kind of hammer did those pistols come with? Did they come practically with the same hammers as the F’s?

I’m assuming the double action only storms that have no safety or decocker came from the factory with a low profile hammer, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

F, G, C & D

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post

See, that’s all I’m trying to figure out for myself. I could really care less what other people’s reasons are on why they would want a spurred hammer or one that’s low profile because I still have my own perspective in my own mind, on my guns and are still losing sight on why my three pistols would be better off left with their original spurred hammers. Especially now that mine are type G’s and no longer have a safety.

But I’m curious; I don’t think I’ve asked this already, but when you said the type G’s weren’t normally sold to the public, what kind of hammer did those pistols come with? Did they come practically with the same hammers as the F’s?

I’m assuming the double action only storms that have no safety or decocker came from the factory with a low profile hammer, correct?

The type C, Constant Action and the type D, Double Action Only come with a spurless hammer. These hammers differ from each other, but they are spurless.

The type G, just like the type F, comes with the standard hammer that has a spur. The G and the F come with the same hammer. The exception would be the Compact Carry and Carry that come with a competition trigger group that has a model 92 hammer, but it does have a spur.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 09-12-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    In my case I am only putting spurless hammers on carry-pistols that will be concealed.
    I was - still am, to some extent - tempted to put a spurless hammer on my pet PX4 Subcompact, but I am one of those people who rides the hammer down when holstering, and the rear of the PX4 slide profile is (or seems to be) angled more "shallowly" than, for instance, a S&W 3913. I liked the spurless hammer on the 3913, but I am not sure my thumb is long enough to be entirely happy using a bobbed hammer on a PX4. The spur on a standard PX4 works well for me as-is, but maybe the grass is greener over there...

BTW, I appreciate the long-term evaluation of the PX4; it makes me think that my 9mm PX4's will be running long after I don't need them!

g n

Subtil Sub

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I was - still am, to some extent - tempted to put a spurless hammer on my pet PX4 Subcompact, but I am one of those people who rides the hammer down when holstering, and the rear of the PX4 slide profile is (or seems to be) angled more "shallowly" than, for instance, a S&W 3913. I liked the spurless hammer on the 3913, but I am not sure my thumb is long enough to be entirely happy using a bobbed hammer on a PX4. The spur on a standard PX4 works well for me as-is, but maybe the grass is greener over there...

BTW, I appreciate the long-term evaluation of the PX4; it makes me think that my 9mm PX4's will be running long after I don't need them!

g n
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

When holstering I am able to ride the hammer. In this picture of our SubCompact with a low profile hammer I've pointed out 2 options I use. The lower pointer shows where you can ride the hammer and feel or prevent its movement. The higher pointer shows where you can push between the rear sight and the top edge of the hammer and control or feel it for safety. Depending upon reach, these are 2 options that I have found to work well and "positively" for me.

Name:  Storm Tracker's Sub.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  PX4 Storm Tracker's Sub (2).jpg
Views: 391
Size:  52.3 KB
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 09-12-2019 at 02:23 PM.

The type C, Constant Action and the type D, Double Action Only come with a spurless hammer. These hammers differ from each other, but they are spurless.

The type G, just like the type F, comes with the standard hammer that has a spur. The G and the F come with the same hammer. The exception would be the Compact Carry and Carry that come with a competition trigger group that has a model 92 hammer, but it does have a spur.
    Ok. I’ve seen that competition trigger on berettas website. What’s the use of that?

Thanks for the positive feedback!

When holstering I am able to ride the hammer. In this picture of our SubCompact with a low profile hammer I've pointed out 2 options I use. The lower pointer shows where you can ride the hammer and feel or prevent its movement. The higher pointer shows where you can push between the rear sight and the top edge of the hammer and control or feel it for safety. Depending upon reach, these are 2 options that I have found to work well and "positively" for me.

Name:  Storm Tracker's Sub.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  PX4 Storm Tracker's Sub (2).jpg
Views: 391
Size:  52.3 KB
    Hey, where did you get those decocker levers?? I really like those. I thought you just had the same ones like I got, that come in the kit from beretta.

Trigger options

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Ok. I’ve seen that competition trigger on berettas website. What’s the use of that?

For clarity I will identify the All Steel Competition "Trigger" is not what I am referring to. The "trigger" replacement is not reliable nor advised. They tend to break and offer no advantage other than as a placebo or preference.

What I am referring to is the Competition Trigger Group (a misnomer, since it does not contain a trigger) that affects your trigger pull. This is actually a Fire Control Unit or Hammer Assembly.

The Competition Trigger Group replaces the stock hammer frame and assembly. It offers coated parts for lubricity and smoothness. Since it comes with a standard strength hammer spring, though nickel coated, it will only lighten up your single action pull. It has a Model 92 hammer so you will have something different from stock, as well.

To take full advantage of it a different hammer spring will also help the double action.

The Competition Trigger Group will not fit in a SubCompact or .45.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 09-12-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Carry levers still stealthy

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Hey, where did you get those decocker levers?? I really like those. I thought you just had the same ones like I got, that come in the kit from beretta.

If you look at https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page32 post 316 you will notice that I put these levers on my range pistol. They are called Carry levers.

For years there was an option to either use stock levers (big and sharp by some folks' definitions), Model 92 style levers (easy to use, but bigger yet) or Low Profile Stealth levers. Folks wanted the low profile, but found the Stealth levers too hard to use. In time Ernest Landgon of @LangdonTactical developed these levers that later became called Carry levers.

They meet the need for stealth combined with ease of use.

For clarity I will identify the All Steel Competition "Trigger" is not what I am referring to. The "trigger" replacement is not reliable nor advised. They tend to break and offer no advantage other than as a placebo or preference.

What I am referring to is the Competition Trigger Group (a misnomer, since it does not contain a trigger) that affects your trigger pull. This is actually a Fire Control Unit or Hammer Assembly.

The Competition Trigger Group replaces the stock hammer frame and assembly. It offers coated parts for lubricity and smoothness. Since it comes with a standard strength hammer spring, though nickel coated, it will only lighten up your single action pull. It has a Model 92 hammer so you will have something different from stock, as well.

To take full advantage of it a different hammer spring will also help the double action.

The Competition Trigger Group will not fit in a SubCompact or .45.
    Sorry for the confusion. Wrong choice of words....lol. This, that you’re talking about is what I was talking about.

But I’m not trying to argue but on beretta’s web page, it just says it fits compact and full-size. Is this still a no on the 45?

But is this the trigger you’re talking about? I wouldn’t think a solid steel trigger would break over a plastic one that the gun comes with.

If you look at https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page32 post 316 you will notice that I put these levers on my range pistol. They are called Carry levers.

For years there was an option to either use stock levers (big and sharp by some folks' definitions), Model 92 style levers (easy to use, but bigger yet) or Low Profile Stealth levers. Folks wanted the low profile, but found the Stealth levers too hard to use. In time Ernest Landgon of @LangdonTactical developed these levers that later became called Carry levers.

They meet the need for stealth combined with ease of use.
    Oh ok, you got those from that Ernest Langdon guy. Gotcha.

I don’t mind the Beretta stealth levers since all they are, are just for decocking the hammer. They are a little small and kinda tough to grip but like I said, since that’s all I use time for is decocking the pistol, I like that they make racking the slide a lot more comfortable and a lot less irritating to the hand.

User Tag List