Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Sorry in advance for the thread hijack, but I have a question for you and anyone else w/a PX4 .45. How does it shoot with 230gr?

Mine shoots like a hot mess with .230 grain ammo. It doesn't matter if its factory FMJ, my FMJ handloads or factory hollow points (Federal HST). I've never had this issue with any of my other .45s.

I did some research and found an article from Patrick Sweeney where he found his sample was terrible with 230gr but really shined with 185gr. I bought a couple boxes of 185gr hollow points (Sig V-Crown) it grouped wonderfully. An added bonus is the 185gr shot well in my other .45s and was softer shooting, so I'm planning on hand loading 185gr from here on out.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Very impressive!! I was just wondering how things were coming along, thanks for the update.

Weighty matters

Quote Originally Posted by 3-7-77 View Post
    Sorry in advance for the thread hijack, but I have a question for you and anyone else w/a PX4 .45. How does it shoot with 230gr?

Mine shoots like a hot mess with .230 grain ammo. It doesn't matter if its factory FMJ, my FMJ handloads or factory hollow points (Federal HST). I've never had this issue with any of my other .45s.

I did some research and found an article from Patrick Sweeney where he found his sample was terrible with 230gr but really shined with 185gr. I bought a couple boxes of 185gr hollow points (Sig V-Crown) it grouped wonderfully. An added bonus is the 185gr shot well in my other .45s and was softer shooting, so I'm planning on hand loading 185gr from here on out.
    This issue, because of a video that had been posted on YouTube that quoted that article, has been addressed a couple of times in this thread. You might want to take a look at it: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page26 post 260

If this does not answer your question, please let me know. But, the bottom line is that I have over 200,000 rounds of 230 grain 45s through my PX4 Storms with perfect accuracy, reliability and function to report.

Thanks! I’m wondering if mine is an earlier sample then. I’ll keep playing with it.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Thanks! I’m wondering if mine is an earlier sample then. I’ll keep playing with it.
    I'd be interested in seeing what you find out and what loads work well.

230 grain is all I’ve ever shot out of mine with the exception of plus P 185 grain Underwoods that uses pretty much the same bullet that the Speer gold dots use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    LTT’s TJIAB came back into stock, so I ordered one. Let’s see what it does for the pistol.
    Was it worth it?

No issues noted with mine.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by bwswanson View Post
    Was it worth it?
    I think so. The weight was similar since I had already replaced the hammer spring, but it’s smoother with cleaner reset.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Runs like a sewing machine?

My PX4 .45 Gs are all running perfectly without problems. MY EDC has 3,000 rounds on it and my #1 range PX4 has 143,200 rounds on it. I do most of my shooting with my #2 range pistol, which now has 71,000 rounds on it. I still have never had a magazine failure nor replaced a mag spring.

Occasionally, after going thousands of rounds without solvent or detailed cleaning, my levers (Carry levers) can be slow coming back up. I used to put a drop of Rem oil on the left lever shaft, by way of the rear of the slide where to hammer hits it. That started lasting less and less time. I tried Beretta brand oil... not much better.

So, I put some of my wife's Singer Sewing Machine Oil on there (just a drop). That has worked well and continues on and on. It works so well that when I do my next 100% disassembly for detail cleaning I will lubricate the shaft with this oil upon reassembly.

User Tag List