Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

To avoid punches and pins (or hammers) scarring your slide to change levers or do maintenance, a double layer of masking tape is a good "net" to work with.

Name:  Slide protection.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  46.4 KB

What is it with springs and gun forums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

PX4 Storm Tracker,

I think that it's a wise and prudent practice to shoot your carry ammo on a regular basis. Also, my carry gun always has a round chambered, and it's always on my person or secured in a safe in that condition.

Carry ammo is relatively inexpensive and readily available at this time, so investing in a case or three of your pet carry load might be something to look into.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 01-21-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    PX4 Storm Tracker,

I think that it's a wise and prudent practice to shoot your carry ammo on a regular basis. Also, my carry gun always has a round chambered, and it's always on my person or secured in a safe in that condition.

Carry ammo is relatively inexpensive and readily available at this time, so investing in a case or three of your pet carry load might be something to look into.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Agreed!

I rotate carry ammo by backing it through priority mags to lower priority mags until they are moved to battered. I should have mentioned that. Thanks.

Vibration and chambering can affect anvil to ignition cohesion. Yes, they should be rotated out after a while.

I have seen and heard of folks struggling with driving the decocker/safety lever pin back in when reassembling.

I insert a paper clip from the opposite side of the pin's entrance to hold things in place for me. The pin will push the paper clip out.

Attachment 23172

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What is it with springs and gun forums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Le Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    TheNewbie, When a PX4 is a type F the left lever's shaft has a detent ball and spring that drag and fall into a hole in the slide. This causes resistance. The point being that when a Storm is converted to type G (decocker only, no safety) that ball & spring are removed. Therefore the levers move a lot more easily!

The standard (stock) levers, converted to type G are easy, but slightly forward where they stick out. If your hand is smaller, you have to reach. Larger and it's right there.
    Model 92 style levers, converted to type G are as easy as you get! They have good surface to contact anywhere.
    The Low Profile (Stealth) levers are more difficult to operate. The smaller the lever the less "leverage".

My wife has used all 3 on her modified PX4 Compact and settled on the M-92 levers. She just reaches up with the shooting thumb (we do everything righty and lefty). With standard levers she has to reach and think about it more. With the Low Profile levers she uses 2 fingers over the top with the non shooting hand to do both levers at once.

My shooting partner has Low Profile on his modified .45 SD and it took practice and his tongue hanging out for a little, but he just reaches up and thumbs them down.

Using your off hand thumb can work. We don't train with that, because we want each hand independently capable of all fighting functions if the other is injured.
    New levers are coming in the next two to three months. You will be very happy. Took a little time to get them done, but we are almost there. Way smaller than the 92 Style levers, but way easier to use than the stealth low profile levers.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    New levers are coming in the next two to three months. You will be very happy. Took a little time to get them done, but we are almost there. Way smaller than the 92 Style levers, but way easier to use than the stealth low profile levers.
    Pre-order on LangdonTactical.com ?[emoji6]

I’m good for 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With a PX4 .45 the amount of carbon and gunk that can accumulate inside the slide is a lot. This is why I choose to disassemble and detail clean the slide, internal parts and channels every 5,000 rounds.

Firing pin after 5,000 rounds

Name:  PX4 .45 parts (1).jpg
Views: 771
Size:  50.7 KB

Extractor after 5,000 rounds

Name:  PX4 .45 parts (2).jpg
Views: 751
Size:  35.1 KB

After cleaning

Name:  PX4 .45 parts (3).jpg
Views: 762
Size:  44.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.

The frame does not get as dirty and more spots can be reached during regular cleaning. I choose to disassemble and detail clean the frame and parts every 10,000 rounds.

Hammer group after 10,000 rounds

Name:  1 @20,300.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  51.3 KB

After cleaning

Name:  2 @20,300.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  46.6 KB

Attachment 23197

Be careful not to clean off the O-ring (SD part shown for clarity)

Name:  O ring SD.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  39.9 KB
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.

User Tag List