Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

No cracks about my PX4 :)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSpear View Post
    Hey there, I have been following this thread but just recently became a member to the forum. is it is at all possible , can you post photos of your px4 storms from the back view of of the pistol? i notice for lack of a better word looks like a small hairline "crack", and i wanted to try and confirm if thats normal or not.
    I am encouraged to know that this thread has been of interest! Welcome to the forum.

There are 2 areas that come up as concerns. First is the large gap found here:

Name:  ejector gap.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  32.0 KB

This gap is a cutout for the ejector to pass through so that you can remove your slide.

Next is a casting seam aligned against the cutout for the hammer drop lever and firing pin block plunger lever to pass through for disassembly.

Name:  Back of slide and frame (1).jpg
Views: 534
Size:  17.4 KB

These are normal, intentional and perfectly fine.

Pistol round count 107,300

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    DaveJ has answer at post #933 of this thread

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tement!/page94

Ernest Langdon a few posts later
    HEY JTQ,appreciate the feedback brother! thanks alot.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I am encouraged to know that this thread has been of interest! Welcome to the forum.

There are 2 areas that come up as concerns. First is the large gap found here:

Name:  ejector gap.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  32.0 KB

This gap is a cutout for the ejector to pass through so that you can remove your slide.

Next is a casting seam aligned against the cutout for the hammer drop lever and firing pin block plunger lever to pass through for disassembly.

Name:  Back of slide and frame (1).jpg
Views: 534
Size:  17.4 KB

These are normal, intentional and perfectly fine.

Pistol round count 107,300
    Hello Storm Tracker, yep, that second pic with the arrow on the left side is exactly what I was referring to! glad to hear that its normal and not a defect of some kind! thank you for the super fast response, its greatly appreciated.

Two things:

First and foremost I would like to add my thanks to PX4 Storm Tracker and others who have provided this lengthy account. It is useful and valuable information. I have a couple of these pistols and enjoy them, although I will never fire that many rounds through them as I just have too many different toys to play with and therefore never put that many rounds through any particular gun, even a work gun, and and my "working" guns cannot be a PX4 whether I want it to be or not.

Second, there was a discussion early on about the stick-on grips. One criticism I do have of the PX4 is that I think the grip frame is a bit slick. I gather there is one brand of these stick-on grips that comes already cutout for the various pins one might need to access and I never saw the brand mentioned. Besides Talon, there are about three other brands on the internet and I was hoping someone cold make a suggestion as to which of these grips would be "best."

Thank you.

Getting a grip

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Two things:

First and foremost I would like to add my thanks to PX4 Storm Tracker and others who have provided this lengthy account. It is useful and valuable information. I have a couple of these pistols and enjoy them, although I will never fire that many rounds through them as I just have too many different toys to play with and therefore never put that many rounds through any particular gun, even a work gun, and and my "working" guns cannot be a PX4 whether I want it to be or not.

Second, there was a discussion early on about the stick-on grips. One criticism I do have of the PX4 is that I think the grip frame is a bit slick. I gather there is one brand of these stick-on grips that comes already cutout for the various pins one might need to access and I never saw the brand mentioned. Besides Talon, there are about three other brands on the internet and I was hoping someone cold make a suggestion as to which of these grips would be "best."

Thank you.
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

On page 10 of this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page10 posts 91-95 there was some discussion on this, including brand names and where to acquire them. @beenalongtime has checked into this more extensively than I.

I don't use any grip tape, but my wife uses Talon grips and altered them to cover areas according to preference. The holes cut out for pins was done by us, not Talon. The Talon grips have a good enough reputation and popularity to be offered with new purchases of the PX4 Carry and Compact Carry. They also have the granular type, as well.

From what I have gathered from many PX4 users Talon grips are the most popular, but many wind up getting stippling done. Some use Hogue or Pachmayr grip sleeves, but not for a lot of shooting. I had read long discussions on PX4 groups about grips and that was all that was mentioned.

My personal experience only goes that far, so let's see who else chimes in with suggestions!

Pistol round count 107,900

Brand?

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    ...There was at least one other brand I looked at, which left the pins open, however they didn't have as much side coverage as either the Talon's or Grip-on's....

From https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page10 post 94. Did you ever find out the brand?

Site Supporter
    @PX4 Storm Tracker

You obviously like the PX4, but I have a different type of question for you.

What are some things you dislike, or would change on the PX4?

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

On page 10 of this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page10 posts 91-95 there was some discussion on this, including brand names and where to acquire them. @beenalongtime has checked into this more extensively than I.

I don't use any grip tape, but my wife uses Talon grips and altered them to cover areas according to preference. The holes cut out for pins was done by us, not Talon. The Talon grips have a good enough reputation and popularity to be offered with new purchases of the PX4 Carry and Compact Carry. They also have the granular type, as well.

From what I have gathered from many PX4 users Talon grips are the most popular, but many wind up getting stippling done. Some use Hogue or Pachmayr grip sleeves, but not for a lot of shooting. I had read long discussions on PX4 groups about grips and that was all that was mentioned.

My personal experience only goes that far, so let's see who else chimes in with suggestions!

Pistol round count 107,900
    Try the old school bike tire inner-tube mod. The rubber has some give to it so it seems to have more grip than the thinner talon grips. Plus it’s cheaper.

Storm improvements?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    @PX4 Storm Tracker

You obviously like the PX4, but I have a different type of question for you.

What are some things you dislike, or would change on the PX4?

That is an interesting question! I do have some things that I would like to see improved upon.

Here are some things that I would like to see: Carry levers should be offered in type F also. These could be stock on standard PX4s. Low profile slide catches should be stock, as they are already large enough.

I agree with the popular opinion that the sides of the grips need more texture, not too much... as it would affect clothing when concealed.

The barrels in .45 should be beefier in and around the cam track. Magazines could be enhanced to hold 10 rounds in the flush fitting ones. .45s and .40s should have smaller lower extractor claw hooks from the factory. The SD should be offered with a 4.1” barrel option, since they did not follow through on a suppressor solution.

The SubCompact is too wide and should be offered in a slimmer single stack.

The Compact 9 is too fat and heavy for its need. The barrel is too beefy, for the same reason. This is a thing that follows the fullsize 9, as well. The 9s are made from .40s that were rechambered. They wind up beefier than necessary. They also conveniently want to use the same internal parts (decocker levers, etc) so they make the smaller ones bigger to not have individual parts requirements. This may be because of marketing, supply and demand. They don’t want to spend on individual parts lists if there is no market for all that.

Compacts and SubCompacts could have more inventive accessory rails. Compact front sight dovetails should be standardized and milled cleaner.

Slide serrations could be a little more aggressive in .40 and .45. Most folks only know the 9s, which are easy to rack and press check.

They should all come with a “self-clean” button, like a good oven!

Quote Originally Posted by learnerpermitted View Post
    Try the old school bike tire inner-tube mod. The rubber has some give to it so it seems to have more grip than the thinner talon grips. Plus it’s cheaper.
    Thanks but I don't want to go that route, and would either stipple or use the stick on grips. I have some of those Hogue and Pachmayr sleeves for other guns, mostly tiny guns that are hard to get a good grip on, but I don't use them on anything but range toys and generally speaking I am not a fan of using that kind of thing. I don't like anything on a grip that has potential to move around or twist or slide on its own. No inner tubes for me. Just my preference.

Just as an aside, in the old days, some folks would wrap rubber bands around revolver grips to make them thicker and also for holster-less waistband carry.

User Tag List