Page 48 of 59 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage.

Size-wise

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. In auto pistols I'm a .45 shooter, so recoil wouldn't make much difference to me, I'll still be slow, but all my autos are single stacks and it's been a while since I've handled, or even seen a PX4 .45. I recall it being larger than the PX4's in 9/40, but I seem to recall it was a little more small hand friendly than some of the other contemporary .45 autos at the time I was looking at them like the G21 (pre-SF/Gen4/Gen5), HK USP45, and the CZ97.
    Yes, that has been my experience in handling other firearms and shooting a few. Other than the single stack of a P345 I have found that any double stack 45s are way thicker and larger in the grip than the PX4 Storm.

I was reading this thread earlier & decided to wear my .45 SD today

SD = Special Day

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    I was reading this thread earlier & decided to wear my .45 SD today
    Cool! Is that the one that you put together yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Cool! Is that the one that you put together yourself?
    Had a regular 45 PX4 on layaway at LGS & bought an SD lower. When it came in I put the regular upper on it. Then I had a spare 45 lower. I couldn’t find a reasonably priced 45 upper, but found a deal on a 45 Cougar parts kit which included the upper. Then I modded the PX4 lower to take the Cougar upper. Not I have a pair of 45 Berettas. I was about to wear that one, but the stippling I did to it is a bit rough on bare skin, & I was wearing khaki pants, so the SD frame seemed most appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    Had a regular 45 PX4 on layaway at LGS & bought an SD lower. When it came in I put the regular upper on it. Then I had a spare 45 lower. I couldn’t find a reasonably priced 45 upper, but found a deal on a 45 Cougar parts kit which included the upper. Then I modded the PX4 lower to take the Cougar upper. Not I have a pair of 45 Berettas. I was about to wear that one, but the stippling I did to it is a bit rough on bare skin, & I was wearing khaki pants, so the SD frame seemed most appropriate
    Very creative!

PX4 45 Question.

After following this post I traded a friend of mine on a like new PX4 .45, After reviewing the the whole post I realized that STORM TRACKER had a issue with his extractor early.
    What I would like to know is how many rounds did it take for the extractor to start acting up and what was it doing? FTF or FTE.

thanks
    Don

New PX4 45 owner with a question.

Very creative!
    After reading this well put together review I traded for a like new PX4 45, I am good with all the maintenance but I am bothered by the problems you had with the extractor early on. How long did it take your 45 to develop the extractor issues and was it both failure to feed or failure to eject? The one I traded for was from a friend of mine who only shot 1 full magazine through it and due to covid and the ammo shortage I have only been able to shoot 50 rounds through it. The gun was brought new 3 years ago. Just trying to see if this one is in the age group of yours and the early bad extractor.

Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by h1x View Post
    After reading this well put together review I traded for a like new PX4 45, I am good with all the maintenance but I am bothered by the problems you had with the extractor early on. How long did it take your 45 to develop the extractor issues and was it both failure to feed or failure to eject? The one I traded for was from a friend of mine who only shot 1 full magazine through it and due to covid and the ammo shortage I have only been able to shoot 50 rounds through it. The gun was brought new 3 years ago. Just trying to see if this one is in the age group of yours and the early bad extractor.
    Thanks for checking out the thread! With the first pistol that had a problem with the extractor it showed up at 453 rounds. After the adjustment it went to 119,600 rounds without any problems.

Interestingly enough the replacement PX4 45 that I got was stumbling with the extractor right off the bat. I did an extractor adjustment and now it is at 19,400 rounds without any problem.

The adjustment was pretty simple to make. I described it in another thread>>> https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....orkhorse/page7 post 69

I also know a lot of people that have PX4 45s and have not had any problem with their extractors.

There was never any problem with extracting, only going all the way to battery. With the first pistol it would do it 1 out of 50 rounds, the second pistol did it 5 out of 10 rounds.

Both of the PX4 45s that had an extractor problem were made at the end of 2013 and 2014.

Extractor

Thanks for checking out the thread! With the first pistol that had a problem with the extractor it showed up at 453 rounds. After the adjustment it went to 119,600 rounds without any problems.

Interestingly enough the replacement PX4 45 that I got was stumbling with the extractor right off the bat. I did an extractor adjustment and now it is at 19,400 rounds without any problem.

The adjustment was pretty simple to make. I described it in another thread>>> https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....orkhorse/page7 post 69

I also know a lot of people that have PX4 45s and have not had any problem with their extractors.

There was never any problem with extracting, only going all the way to battery. With the first pistol it would do it 1 out of 50 rounds, the second pistol did it 5 out of 10 rounds.

Both of the PX4 45s that had an extractor problem were made at the end of 2013 and 2014.
    Glad to hear this. The one I have is only 3 years old so it was bought new in 2017. I am waiting for the covid/election ammo shortage to end so I can put some rounds down range.
    Thanks.

1st 20k 2nd .45

The second PX4 .45 G I am using has reached 20,000 rounds. No breakages, no problems.

I am doing something different with this one concerning maintenance. Instead of a full disassembly for detailed cleaning in the slide every 5k and the frame every 10k I went 8k and did both, then went 10k and did both. No problems, no excessive grime. I still change the guide rod assembly (rebound spring) every 5k.

One other change contributed to this result. I did not use any solvents or cleaning oils in routine, post range trip cleaning. Everything was kept dry. I wanted to see if the routine cleanings were introducing or moving grime around in internal part areas. The result was good, it helped.

I am still shooting 900 rounds per week. Since ammo is on the endangered species list it can be hard to pick and choose by brand. I end up with some smoky and dirty PMCs, S&Bs, Winchester White Box and sometimes Federal Champion. The PMCs really dirty things up inside, but no problems with function.

The 11# hammer spring continues to ignite everything, even WWB, even when the firing pin channel is 10k dirty. DA pull is 5 lb 14 oz and SA is 3 lbs 12 oz.

Totals shot in PX4 .45s by me: Previous range pistol = 119,600, EDC = 3,000, Current range pistol = 20,000, Initial test pistol = 2,600 and I have an SD with 37,428 rounds on it. With meticulous record keeping this makes for good data collecting.

User Tag List