Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Break In Query

Site Supporter

Auto Break In Query

This question has likely been posted hundreds of times over the years: When, how does one determine when an auto pistol is broken in? I read shooters and manufactures recommending firing 2-500 rounds or more without any problems before considering a gun broken in. Last evening I was surfing through the posts on the 1911 Forum where the ubiquitous break-in question popped up again. Many posters replied with a given round count. One poster said when he receives a new gun, he strips, cleans and lubes it, then racks the slide a few hundred times, cleans and lubes it, and repeats the process a few times. I have only three years of pistol experience and this guy's pre-break-in process seems to be a sound, practical way of preconditioning the slide and frame rails. I will soon own my first 1911 .45 and plan to use this guys procedure before taking it to the range to fire its first 100 rounds.

I'm interested to hear from others who use this or other similar procedure to precondition a gun! Perhaps some of you consider this a waste of time and needless arm wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    One poster said when he receives a new gun, he strips, cleans and lubes it, then racks the slide a few hundred times, cleans and lubes it, and repeats the process a few times.

I will soon own my first 1911 .45 and plan to use this guys procedure before taking it to the range to fire its first 100 rounds.
    It's more fun shooting the gun than racking the slide a few hundred times. I may rack the slide a few times to see how it feels, but I've never sat in front of the TV and racked the slide a few hundred times.

"Break-in" means different things to different people. For some it's to prove the gun is reliable. For others it is more of a shooter break-in, where you are familiarizing yourself with the gun, which if you've never shot a 1911 before, and you're trying to figure out what to do with that thumb and grip safety, it's probably pretty important. For a 1911 like a Les Baer, it is more to ensure the gun is working the same at 50,000 rounds as it is at round 10.

For me, I'll lube the gun up and shoot it. Cleaning is somewhat over rated. Clean is better than dirty, but you can go a long time between cleaning, but a metal framed gun needs lube more than a polymer framed gun with little metal tabs for frame rails. Many folks new to a 1911 will experience problems because they under-lube their gun.

The pistol you intend to purchase isn't a tightly fitted custom affair. Just lube it up a go shoot it.

Honestly, i think this titanic level of research you're doing, while commendable, is starting to become counterproductive. The advice you've mentioned to just stupid and unnecessary. The 1911 forum will have you thinking you're launching a rocketship to Mars, that's made of hand-blown glass.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself. 😀

Just buy the gun and go shooting.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter

Never Fired a 1911 .45

In my case I've never fired a 1911 .45 or any other caliber so I'll definitely need some time to familiarize myself with its grip and controls.

In terms of cleaning, I assume the guy I referred to means wiping down the frame and slide rails after each racking session to remove any small and micro steel particles that may have been generated by repeatedly racking the slide.

In my case I've never fired a 1911 .45 or any other caliber so I'll definitely need some time to familiarize myself with its grip and controls.
    I find these video's helpful to new 1911 users

Doug Koenig "How to Grip a Handgun". Note where he puts his right hand thumb at about the :50 mark

The following video is a little over the top, but he's making a point here - most (though not all) 1911 users will avoid Condition 2 and use Condition 1, though there is a place for Condition 3.

Folks all over the internet will tell you you'll get killed on the streets if you use a gun with a manual safety as you'll forget to switch it off when you need it off or on when you need it on. If you have your thumb on the thumb safety as part of the way you grip the gun, and you get that master grip when you grab the holstered gun, forgetting the thumb safety becomes less of an issue.

Here is the late Ed Head showing the draw stroke. Note when he gets on the thumb safety beginning at about the :40 mark.

Because almost nobody can reach the mag release or slide stop with their right hand thumb while the gun is in a shooting grip, new folks are always looking for scooped grip panels, giant mag releases, and extended slide stops, there is this video from Ben Stoeger on handgun fit. No 1911 in this video, but at about the 2:10 mark he'll talk about the mag release and slide stop. His recommendation will also apply to the 1911.

Site Supporter
    Pistols that require a break in period are the exception rather than the rule. There is no reason a properly designed, properly lubricated pistol should not work well right out of the box.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

In terms of cleaning, I assume the guy I referred to means wiping down the frame and slide rails after each racking session to remove any small and micro steel particles that may have been generated by repeatedly racking the slide.
    Racking the slide is not creating any cutting type action and will not produce any particulate. When shooting it the oil it needs will mix with the soot from the cartridge and create dirty gunk, but the pistol will keep ticking. And they do not typically turn into a pumpkin, you will feel things start to get sluggish before they crap out.
    As has been mentioned, just oil it up and get ready to rock, and be prepared to start smiling!

There would likely be orders of magnitude more benefit to spending the time racking the slide by doing exactly that much structured dry fire. Once comfortable, then proceed to reliability test the gun.
    This will include and surpass any recommended break in period I've ever read by a manufacturer.
    Depending on your comfort level, degree of faith in a given manufacturer, belief in your centrality to the existence of the universe, or cynicism about marketing hype, fanboyism,, Monday guns, Friday guns and tendency to wear your seatbelt...I recommend shooting a couple of hundred ball rounds through any gun to intend to carry and then a couple hundred more in the specific load I've chosen as a duty round. This should get the gun past its QC and "Infant mortality" phase and into its "Service life reliability" phase.

I buy a gun to shoot and carry. I'm buying a capability with a set of attributes. If it falters, I hurl it from a cliff like a Spartan newborn with six toes. I intend to shoot it to death, and then replace it.

Site Supporter
    Trooper224, I'm glad to hear you chime in, and you even recall the make and model gun I'm going to buy. I respect your advise, knowing you have a lot of Springfield 1911 experience. You're likely entirely correct. When I finally get the gun home I will clean and lube it, rack the slide a dozen or so times to see how it fits and feels, then hit the range for a 100 round session! I hope to buy the gun later this week or the following week. My excitement is growing!

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I recommend shooting a couple of hundred ball rounds through any gun to intend to carry and then a couple hundred more in the specific load I've chosen as a duty round. This should get the gun past its QC and "Infant mortality" phase and into its "Service life reliability" phase.
    And personally I am not .MIL or .LE, I will just start shooting a new gun for my typical practice, and after a few trips I will consider it good to go, go to the grocery store that is. If I were a guy who is assigned to a task force to go serve high risk warrants with the Marshalls Service I would have a stricter criteria.

User Tag List