Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: SHOT 2018

Your opinion on the NightForce NX8 1-8x would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Anyone know where SHOT 2019 will be held?
    Same place through 2025 - http://shotshow.org/shot-show-vegas/

And I doubt that will change for the foreseeable future.

Bottom line if you're planning a trade show/conference/convention that will have 2000+ attendees, Las Vegas is the place to have it. Flights are cheap and plenty, hotels are cheap, space is cheap. Vegas has space, tons of it, and they have conventions down to a science. No issues with AV/space/layout/facility access/food/etc. And because they do it so much and make so much money off of attendees gambling, Vegas can provide conference/convention space at about 60% of the cost of anywhere else.

I hate Vegas with a burning, loathing, passion - It exemplifies virtually everything wrong with our society in a single cesspool of garbage. BUT - from a logistics perspective Vegas makes complete sense.

I went to SHOT in New Orleans and Orlando. Heard many complaints about lack of Vegas attractions.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

1) never been.

2) the draco nak9 that takes Glock mags: https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...o-nak9-pistol/
    2a) the quarter circle10 9mm carbine that takes Glock mags
    2b) the Kalashnikov 9mm vaporware rifle (again)
    2c) the new Henry, Winchester, Marlin and Cimarron lever carbines in revolver calibers
    2d) the .44 automag reissue, because, Harry Callahan

3) anyone making all-metal lower frames for Glock pistols
    3a) Remington making any pistols
    3b) Taurus branching out into compact versions of the 1911

The ATA show was cool to follow, if any P-Fers were there it would be cool to hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Hog hunting /= hoofed rat hunting. Anything that qualifies as "pest" and can be shot out of season is fine to shoot with anything large enough to kill it, the purpose is extermination, not sport/food hunting. And yea, a suppressed semi-auto is where it's at to hunt hogs down.

And I like mufflers on my deer killers too. I've actually got nothing wrong with a suppressed gun, or even an SBR during deer season (though I think it's kind of silly, I can actually understand it, but in my experience "those" guys are as dangerous as deer-hunting Elmer Fudd is...). Where I'm at, in terms of irritation is using a "handgun" that is effectively a "rifle" during "handgun season". It not only flies in the face of the spirit of the season, it's thumbing your nose at the regulations. When handgun season was generated, people were thinking revolvers, auto pistols, and Thompson-Contenders not short barrel AR15 rifles. And hunting deer with a handgun is supposed to be more challenging than a rifle, it's supposed to be done at closer ranges, by design. Using "arm brace" to effectively put a stock on your pistol and make it a rifle isn't handgun hunting, it's rifle hunting with what is only technically a pistol. - Put another way - the preferred way of "hunting" (poaching) elephant in Zimbabwe is with an FN FAL or an AK47 and full auto, but not many people think that is particularly "sporting"...
    Totally agree and can't like that statement enough. An AR pistol laughs at regulation, which usually means a negative change will happen. Also, many states have rules regarding caliber specifically meant to chase away such stuff. WA, for example, requires a caliber of .40 or greater for a legal hunting handgun.

Personally, I don't think it keeps with the spirit of fair chase in the context of a dedicated handgun season and I think guys like Jim Posewitz would agree with me. "Gaming" our hunting traditions doesn't reflect well on our conservation values.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 01-22-2018 at 02:49 AM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Bottom line if you're planning a trade show/conference/convention that will have 2000+ attendees, Las Vegas is the place to have it. Flights are cheap and plenty, hotels are cheap, space is cheap. Vegas has space, tons of it, and they have conventions down to a science. No issues with AV/space/layout/facility access/food/etc. And because they do it so much and make so much money off of attendees gambling, Vegas can provide conference/convention space at about 60% of the cost of anywhere else.

I hate Vegas with a burning, loathing, passion - It exemplifies virtually everything wrong with our society in a single cesspool of garbage. BUT - from a logistics perspective Vegas makes complete sense.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    The ATA show was cool to follow, if any P-Fers were there it would be cool to hear about.

Totally agree and can't like that statement enough. An AR pistol laughs at regulation, which usually means a negative change will happen. Also, many states have rules regarding caliber specifically meant to chase away such stuff. WA, for example, requires a caliber of .40 or greater for a legal hunting handgun.

Personally, I don't think it keeps with the spirit of fair chase in the context of a dedicated handgun season and I think guys like Jim Posewitz would agree with me. "Gaming" our hunting traditions doesn't reflect well on our conservation values.
    I’ll call BS on this post. There is a difference between “fair chase” and weapon selection and free-ranging deer. Additionally, many stated include handguns in an “alternative methods” season which any method of “traditional firearms” is allowed including spears. I don’t know of any seasons that are handgun-only, rather a handgun is one of the methods allowed.

Perhaps your wheelgun is a bit too gamey and destroys the spirit of fair chase when others use primitive handmade bows and handmade atlatls?

The most important thing is a clean, ethics kill in which the animal doesn’t needlessly suffer, no matter the method. Unfortunately, your average Fudd will sling a lot of led to put down a deer with a pistol. I see it frequently here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

Unless your trade show/conference/convention happens to be on a weekend. Vegas isn't really setup for weekend events.

Orlando and Atlanta have large convention centers. Our annual meeting last year had over 80,000 attendees (about 15,000 more than SHOT) and we were only using about 2/3 of the convention center space. Number of attendees isn't everything though, I'm not sure how much floor space SHOT actually uses, which may be the limiting factor for NSSF. For example, the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg gets almost 200,000 attendees, making it by far the largest by attendance, but the show floor is smaller than most other venues (it also runs for nine days, which helps).

I hate Vegas with a burning, loathing, passion - It exemplifies virtually everything wrong with our society in a single cesspool of garbage.
    Come on, tell us how you really feel

Honestly I mostly feel the same way. My only visit so far was a family trip driving a camper around out west for a week. We spent time in Vegas, and the only parts I really enjoyed were the food (great food and lots of it), Hoover Dam, and the interesting variety of unusual/rare airplanes we saw flying overhead.

It would be kinda neat to drop in and check stuff out, but I'd only do it if I was already in town for something else. I'd rather spend the travel and expenses taking a class or roadtripping with my wife.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Pretty much this. I can’t stress the importance of the easy travel from just about anywhere in the US with tons of direct flights. I go to the ACEP Scientific Assembly almost every year which has 7-8k attendees and rotates between Vegas, Chicago, Boston, DC, Seattle, and a few others. Vegas is hands down the easiest venue to navigate. I don’t gamble, but the food, concerts, and night life can be amazing if you are willing to spend some money.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List