Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conventional J-Frame Wisdom for a revolver newbie

Looking for recommendations on the following:
    1. Which model? Currently a old Model 60

2. Recommended Accessories (spring kits, sights, etc if required, though I tend to prefer simpler and run my Glocks mostly stock) Hammer spur cut off, lightly polished internals

3. Holster - I'm thinking pocket, but open to suggestions Pocket Concealment System holster

4. Reloads. Speed strip vs Speedloader. Which, why, and best way to use? Speed Strip

Update

In case you missed it elsewhere, I picked up a 642-1. I put some orange paint on the front sight and added CT LG-405’s. I shot it for the first time today. 50rds 130 Fiocci FMJ and 20 rds Winchester 130 +P Bonded. I began with the irons just to establish basic function. The first 2 cylinders at 7 yds were a little left with the irons. Could be odd indoor lighting.

Name:  D1EA1CC4-D584-497F-BE6A-ECE28B402329.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  46.9 KB

After that I did some more iron-sighted fire at 10 and 25. Then I swapped to zeroing the laser. I had performed a rough co-witness zero when I installed the grips and with just a bit more adjustment things were going well. This is 5 rounds with the Winchester 130 +P with the laser freestyle at 10yds:

Name:  ED807678-902C-4C93-B876-F3290E7B9312.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  46.0 KB

I’ll say that’ll do pig.

So now, what’s good maintenance? Clean the carbon off with an eraser? Any lube needed?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I know this is j-frame centric, but don't discount the Ruger LCR. Cheap, light, reliable.
    (Sometimes people say "jFrame" and mean "snubbie")

Nice shooting with a J frame. I make sure to clean under the ejector star after every range outing now. I once had enough carbon build up under it that I could not fully close the cylinder, and this was only after ~150ish rounds. Other than that make sure each of the chambers are clean as well as around the firing pin hole and barrel every so often.
    Last edited by NPV; 02-22-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Conventional J-Frame Wisdom for a revolver newbie

If you are looking for a holster, I’ve discovered that the Safariland, model 25 iirc, is awesome! As for speed strips, definitely go with Bianchi over Tuff Strips. Tuff strips are very hard and difficult to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 02-22-2018 at 09:27 PM.

My son and I picked up a couple of no lock 442's. The double action on either weapon is poor. Mine stacks up heavy then falls on its face. I can control this two handed but is quite a liability firing support hand only. Compared to an older 442 w/lock (son's) or much older 60, these actions are very bad. Both older J frames have very nice actions. Not quite K frame smooth but close.

I've got close to 150 rounds thru mine. It's very slightly better. Tried a reduced return spring. The trigger would stick at times needed to be pushed forward to reset. OEM spring back in. Dry fired thousands of times.

Open to some suggestions.

JW
    Last edited by Pit; 02-23-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    In case you missed it elsewhere, I picked up a 642-1. I put some orange paint on the front sight and added CT LG-405’s. I shot it for the first time today. 50rds 130 Fiocci FMJ and 20 rds Winchester 130 +P Bonded. I began with the irons just to establish basic function. The first 2 cylinders at 7 yds were a little left with the irons. Could be odd indoor lighting.

Name:  D1EA1CC4-D584-497F-BE6A-ECE28B402329.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  46.9 KB

After that I did some more iron-sighted fire at 10 and 25. Then I swapped to zeroing the laser. I had performed a rough co-witness zero when I installed the grips and with just a bit more adjustment things were going well. This is 5 rounds with the Winchester 130 +P with the laser freestyle at 10yds:

Name:  ED807678-902C-4C93-B876-F3290E7B9312.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  46.0 KB

I’ll say that’ll do pig.

So now, what’s good maintenance? Clean the carbon off with an eraser? Any lube needed?

Buy some orange glow on paint then you have night sights with a quick hit of a light.

I have the standard on my 442. Sealed with clear nail polish, it has lasted over a year and a half on one application

Glow-On

Daylight it appears almost white for quicker acquisition:

One quick and I mean quick hit of light from the back using a streamlight microstream (35 lumen) in my weakhand:

A little more sustained light on it maybe 2-3 seconds from the microstream (or one quick hit from my 345 lumen tac light):

It lasts 5 minutes or more after you hit it once

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    My son and I picked up a couple of no lock 442's. The double action on either weapon is poor. Mine stacks up heavy then falls on its face. I can control this two handed but is quite a liability firing support hand only. Compared to an older 442 w/lock (son's) or much older 60, these actions are very bad. Both older J frames have very nice actions. Not quite K frame smooth but close.

I've got close to 150 rounds thru mine. It's very slightly better. Tried a reduced return spring. The trigger would stick at times needed to be pushed forward to reset. OEM spring back in. Dry fired thousands of times.

Open to some suggestions.

JW

Send it to either Nelson Ford http://www.thegunsmith.com/thegunsmith.html or Frank Glenn http://www.glenncustom.com/ in phoenix.... you will love the trigger....you are welcome

Site Supporter
    I urge you to reconsider adding a spring kit, although many do. Two reasons exist for not replacing springs. One is that a lighter rebound spring will increase the probability that the trigger will not go fully forward to its reset point. When this occurs, pulling the trigger for the next shot will rotate the cylinder but not cock and release the hammer. The J frame's smaller size does not accommodate one's grip as well as its larger siblings. The result is that the shooter, if not careful, is more likely to ride the trigger forward and thus retard its movement ending in no reset. Under stress, the shooter may make this error.

The other reason for not replacing springs is that doing so increases the probability of light strikes. If you remove the hammer spur and thus decrease hammer mass and add a lighter hammer spring at the same time, you will be reducing the weapons reliability. This statement is true whether or not you grind off the hammer spur.

About hammer spurs,...,instead of making the back of the hammer flat when removing the spur, instead leave a rounded hump so as to preserve as much mass as possible.

Of course many shooters replace J frame springs without experiencing problems, but some others find that that they have decreased their revolver's reliability. J frames do not tolerate tinkering. Polishing will accomplish your aims.
    Last edited by willie; 02-23-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Agreed Willie. The factory springs are back in because of trigger return failure.

I'll look into an action job. What I was commenting on is how the action on these two 442 are so poor compared to a 8 year old 442 and my +30 year old model 60. Neither has an action job but are smooth. I don't mind them being a bit heavy but smooth, consistent. These are gritty and have an increasing heavy pull then a sudden drop off. Stepping off a cliff. I get 500 rounds thru it before I decide what to do. I'm wondering if the revolver I'd properly timed.

User Tag List