Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conventional J-Frame Wisdom for a revolver newbie

Conventional J-Frame Wisdom for a revolver newbie

Despite having worked in one of the largest shops in the Atlanta metro for 15 years and being well versed in AR's, Optics, NFA, Oddball .22's, and common service pistols; revolvers have always lingered at the fringe of my comfort level. I have a basic knowledge of how to load and shoot one and that's about it. I helped my mom get a 642 with CT Lasergrips a few years back. I laid out 8 or 10 options, had her shoot them all, and that's the one she chose.

For myself, I'm very comfortable with my G17's and carry one either IWB or OWB with cover pretty much any time I leave the house. I've taken Vickers Advanced Pistol Marksmanship and Gabe White's Pistol Shooting Solutions with my G17. I would say I have a reasonable proficiency level with pistol shooting including from concealment.

There are times when I would like something smaller, more easily concealable with a tucked shirt, and/or for lounging around the house, running to the grocery store, etc.

I have a basic knowledge of the fact that J-frames come in steel, alloy, Scandium, and Scandium/Titanium cylinder variants. I'm also aware that there are exposed hammers, shrouded hammers, and internal hammers. I'm aware that there are models with locks and models without; seems like no lock would be the way to go. For sights I'd like a Tritium front I think.

I have shot the ultra lightweight .357 (Titanium Cylinder, model 340PD I think) with duty loads and it sucked. The .38's with duty loads don't really bother me though. At the same time, I like the idea of being able to shoot .357's for more power/possible animal defense as I'm getting more back into camping. I also fly fish, and something that wouldn't die if I accidentally took a swim with it (damn slippery rocks) would be good.

Looking for recommendations on the following:
    1. Which model?
    2. Recommended Accessories (spring kits, sights, etc if required, though I tend to prefer simpler and run my Glocks mostly stock)
    3. Holster - I'm thinking pocket, but open to suggestions
    4. Reloads. Speed strip vs Speedloader. Which, why, and best way to use?

Thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I’m a big fan of the M&P340, but have no desire to ever shoot .357’s in it again (it’s been close to 10 years since I’ve done that). I think it’s pretty widely accepted that you’re not gaining much (other than self-inflicted pain) by shooting .357’s rather than .38’s out of such a short barrel.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Since you live in Georgia - check out https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/about/ Claude Werner.

Claude teaches snubby classes and they are well worth out as running them is different from G17. Given you have shooting experience, you will easily learn what Claude teaches about that gun. He also has some interesting drills on his page.

1) I’ve only owned 442s and 642s so I’m not going to give a recommendation here. Those are a budget friendly way to start, but I’ve not tried the other models so I don’t have much of an opinion.
    2) Pretty much nothing unless you need/want different grips
    3) Pocket or ankle. If it’s going on a belt I’d rather have a real gun at that point. The one exception to that though is Dark Star’s aiwb holster is nice to clip onto sweatpants when you’re just lounging around the house.
    4) Honestly none of the above for me. Reloads are so slow on these it’s just an admin procedure. I also almost never carry a j frame by itself outside of my home so your needs may be different.

I find with these guns less is more. A 442 or 642 with a pocket holster is good enough for 99% of what I want this type of gun to do.

Oh and fuck 357 magnum out of a j frame. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Despite having worked in one of the largest shops in the Atlanta metro for 15 years and being well versed in AR's, Optics, NFA, Oddball .22's, and common service pistols; revolvers have always lingered at the fringe of my comfort level. I have a basic knowledge of how to load and shoot one and that's about it. I helped my mom get a 642 with CT Lasergrips a few years back. I laid out 8 or 10 options, had her shoot them all, and that's the one she chose.

For myself, I'm very comfortable with my G17's and carry one either IWB or OWB with cover pretty much any time I leave the house. I've taken Vickers Advanced Pistol Marksmanship and Gabe White's Pistol Shooting Solutions with my G17. I would say I have a reasonable proficiency level with pistol shooting including from concealment.

There are times when I would like something smaller, more easily concealable with a tucked shirt, and/or for lounging around the house, running to the grocery store, etc.

I have a basic knowledge of the fact that J-frames come in steel, alloy, Scandium, and Scandium/Titanium cylinder variants. I'm also aware that there are exposed hammers, shrouded hammers, and internal hammers. I'm aware that there are models with locks and models without; seems like no lock would be the way to go. For sights I'd like a Tritium front I think.

I have shot the ultra lightweight .357 (Titanium Cylinder, model 340PD I think) with duty loads and it sucked. The .38's with duty loads don't really bother me though. At the same time, I like the idea of being able to shoot .357's for more power/possible animal defense as I'm getting more back into camping. I also fly fish, and something that wouldn't die if I accidentally took a swim with it (damn slippery rocks) would be good.

Looking for recommendations on the following:
    1. Which model?
    2. Recommended Accessories (spring kits, sights, etc if required, though I tend to prefer simpler and run my Glocks mostly stock)
    3. Holster - I'm thinking pocket, but open to suggestions
    4. Reloads. Speed strip vs Speedloader. Which, why, and best way to use?

Thanks!
    ASH556.................I too like 340PD.....but ALL the j frames are good to go in my opinion. I carry BUffalo Bore 150gr Wadcutter so with the 357 cyl I get a little more "throw" when ejecting hulls.
    I do not change springs. I DO paint my front sights w/orange nail polish,w/white base layer.
    Pocket ,I use Aholster. Belt,I use Desantis. AIWB or IWB I use Milt Sparks SS. Ankle I use Desantis Apache rigs
    Reloads,Tuff strips and HKS speed loaders. BUT.....another j frame is just as easy to carry for me.
    Hope this helps ya.....................CYA Retro
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Site Supporter
    I'd also like to recommend that you need to shoot it outside of just the square range. Shoot it at a local IDPA match for instance. I've done that. We also have some specific short range matches around here that are great for small guns. Shooting targets at various distances and reloading under some speed and stress is different from the old B-27 blasting. Running to grocery store - well, that doesn't guarantee that you will only face a nice criminal person who will drop dead with one shot. When you have to contemplate 4 opponents with a J - makes you think. Been close to that in real life but managed to avoid it a couple of times with sensible awareness and movement.

I know too many folks with the Taurus 85 in the pocket that is shot once every two years for practice. That doesn't sound like the OP, for sure, just griping a bit. If the OP did that training with the G17 - he will easily master a J frame.

My last thought - I have a 642 and 432. I've been carrying the latter for the extra shot.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 01-18-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I find with these guns less is more. A 442 or 642 with a pocket holster is good enough for 99% of what I want this type of gun to do.
    Agree.

To the OP:

Don't have a tritium front sight so if that's a requirement, you'll have to look elsewhere (for OEM) beyond the 642-1 (no-lock) I carry and recommend.

Holsters: Pocket: I have Uncle Mike's #3, Mika and Aholster. AIWB: DSG "J-Frame" All are used but the DSG and Mika get the most use.

Mine is completely stock but for painting the front sight fluorescent red/orange, (with a base coat of white), using Birchwood Casey sight paint.
    Rear sight notch blackened with a fine Sharpie.

I like to use speed strips. Never got into speed loaders, don't like them for pocket carry (bulky) and don't want a mechanical device for reloads. I currently load the speed strip with four rounds: 2 rounds, space, 2 rounds.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I've a 442, a 3"-60, a Colt DS (and a Taurus 605- don't hate me for that). All but the DS have CT grips.

If I'm not needing to pocket-carry, I tend to gravitate to the Model 60. It's light enough for easy belt carry and the extra inch of barrel helps on shootability. The DS gets the nod after that, for between it and the Taurus, the extra round tips the balance.

The 442 with grips suitable for pocket carry is no fun for me to shoot. If I have to use larger grips and carry on my belt, then for me, I'd rather have something I can shoot a little better.

So much of this is subjective, and best if you can try as many different guns as you can.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Nothing against J-frames, but given your experience and comfort level with the G17, why go to an unfamiliar gun and not a G26, G43 or G42?

User Tag List