Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Info on TK Custom 9mm conversion

JimC, I recently tested some 9mm 147 grain non +P Gold dot in a 2" barrel. Averaged 946 FPS. Quite respectable I thought for standard pressure load with a bullet that heavy.....

Yeah, I thought so too. 290 ft-lb ain't half bad out of a snubbie. I go with 147gr to minimise the chance of cylinder face erosion, but I tend to like heavy rounds anyway.
    Last edited by JimCunn; 02-13-2019 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Has anybody chronographed 9mm out of a short barrel revolver and compared it to .38 Special +P out of a short barrel revolver? Also how does recoil compare between the loads.
    I have a S&W 940. I find it unpleasant to shoot. Much rather shoot my 640 Pro with +P .38. It is not as bad as a Ti cylindered J frame, but recoil was “stout” IMHO. Some fired cases don’t eject easily. Never chrono’d anything in the 940.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Recoil is indeed stout on my titanium cylindered 9mm 637-2s
    (empty weight 12.5 oz, loaded weight 15.1 oz.)

No problems so far with ejecting spent cases, knock wood.

Rock185, have you chrono'd the Winchester white box 147gr 9mm JHP available at Walmart?

LtDave, Google "ballistics by the inch" for a comparison of various rounds in various barrel lengths.
    It is a great website.
    9mm is a lot stouter than .38Sp+P.

BTW, TKC is no longer reaming titanium cylinders for 9mm. They are still doing stainless cylinders.

JimC, No I haven't done the WWB 147. May have to check and see if our local WallyWorld stocks it.

LtDave, I have to agree, with some loads the recoil with the 940 is a bit "stout". I don't notice it so much shooting the 940, but watching another shooter shooting the 940, my impression was that blast and recoil appeared closer to .357 than to 38 +P.....

It is brisk, but when I'm not actively thinking about recoil, I don't particularly notice it while shooting the 9mm 637-2 or the Micro 9.

Empty weights 12.5oz and 20.5 oz, respectively.
    Last edited by JimCunn; 02-15-2019 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    LtDave, Google "ballistics by the inch" for a comparison of various rounds in various barrel lengths.
    It is a great website.
    9mm is a lot stouter than .38Sp+P.

BTW, TKC is no longer reaming titanium cylinders for 9mm. They are still doing stainless cylinders.
    The Luckygunner site has results out of 2" .38 revolvers.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I’m likely grabbing a chronograph from MidwayUSA this weekend... birthday discount. Figured that would be better than some .45 AutoRim and speedloaders for my Colt 1917.

I’ll try to get some new data for 9mm and .38 Special.

Some of you are a lot tougher than me.

Today I shot 10 rounds of 147 HST through a 3" 9mm Ruger SP101. It hurt. My knuckle was rapped pretty hard. I almost stopped before I was done the last 5. Then I put a set of Hougue grips on it and fired another 10 rounds. That hurt too but different. The recoil hit the web of my hand pretty hard.

The SP101 weighs 26.7 oz. empty. A glock 17 with an empty mag weighs 25.5 oz. I have noticed in the past that recoil seems more pronounced in a revolver than an auto loader while firing the same power level ammo. The action of the slide soaks up recoil.

I'm going to stick with wadcutters in my J-Frames.

User Tag List