Thread: .264 USA carbine solicitation

.264 USA carbine solicitation

Since DocGKR first mentioned this caliber, almost in passing, I've thought it was the most interesting of the intermediate caliber service rifle possibilities.

I was beginning to think it had died and then saw this.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...carbines-pdws/

I still don't understand why a military carbine/caliber solicitation with ammunition standards would place an 18" upper limit on gel penetration.
    Last edited by JHC; 01-18-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Looks like they want to have their cake and eat it too - one cartridge for CQB penetration concerns and DMR+.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Looks like they want to have their cake and eat it too - one cartridge for CQB penetration concerns and DMR+.
    Exactly...

And from a 11.5" barrel

This makes me happy.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

How does the 6.5 Grendel measure up to this solicitation?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

BAA’s tend to be Research and Development oriented. I’m sure it will be interesting to see the responses and what comes from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    How does the 6.5 Grendel measure up to this solicitation?
    2650 from an 11.5" barrel is outside the capability of 6.5G.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

For YEARS I've wondered why they didnt build the AR 12" in the first place... with the 222 Mag. or a .25-.264 diameter bullet.. so they are finally doing that.. yeah...
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    2650 from an 11.5" barrel is outside the capability of 6.5G.
    Hard to see how it isn’t outside the capability of the .264 USA as well.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    TFB isn't my favorite news source, but you can click through to more real sources.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...te-m4-carbine/

Someone is selling the crap out of something.

I don’t want to overstate the term 10x. But we have a good rifle now. It’s a capable rifle, and it’s easily the match of rifles anywhere in the world. But we have the capability – we have the possibility- of developing a small arm for infantry forces, and cavalry forces and others, you know an individual small arm, a rifle, that is again, go back to Sydney’s term, or my term to Sydney, that is a 10x capability. And the hinge here is the weapon’s operating system, and the type of ammunition used. There has been some research and testing done down at Benning and with industry partners that indicates that we could, it’s possible, have a rifle in the hands of American soldiers or Marines in the not too distant future – I don’t want to put a time on it – that can reach out at much greater ranges than currently exist with much greater impact and lethality, and with much greater accuracy. I don’t want to go into too many of the details on it, but it has to do with the type of ammunition, the chamber pressure of the rifle, and the optics that are being used on the rifle. It’s an excellent system, they’ve done some proof of principles on it, it is real, it is not fantasy, and industry is moving out quickly, and we expect that with appropriate funding, we should be able to have this particular weapon in the not-too-distant future. And I won’t define what not-too-distant future is.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List