Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School me on Ruger single action’s...

The first iteration of Vaquero often shot low, which was generally deemed good, because one could file the front sight to adjust elevation. I believe I did that to mine. It was assumed that tall front sights were intentional by Ruger, so they could be easily filed to zero them. I dont know if thats the case or not.

If the fixed sight guns shoot to the side, and its not shooter error, the barrel can be turned in or out a bit to correct it. Its not hard for a gunsmith or amatuer with correct tools to do. The fixed sight guns look cleaner and more old time, but overall, the adjustable sighted guns are nicer for the gun crank that may change loads over time for whatever reasons.

Many of the adjustable sighted guns needed the rear sight raised way too high to be practical, I lost the elevation screw on one from the holster pushing the sight down and there being no tension on the screw. Fortunately it was in the holster (which was good, since I was camping alone in the Utah mts as a jr high school kid), but I didnt know where it was elevation wise after putting the screw back in. I fixed that later by lowering the rear sight to a few clicks off bottomed out, filing the front sight down to zero, leaving a little adjustment in the rear to lower if desired later. Ive done most of the adjustable sighted Rugers the same way ever since then.

Site Supporter
    If my memory is correct the blued new model blackhawks have an alloy frame so they are lighter than the stainless. I think blackhawks are great fun gun, great hunting/ field handguns. They are worth hunting LGS for clean used models. I have a Stainless 4 5/8 super Blackhawk in 44 mag. It came with the Blackhawk grip frame; not the dragoon frame. You can tuck your pinkie finger Under the grip the frame or get oversized grips. I have been wanting a Blackhawk 45 colt/45 acp convertible for years

A friend's NM Blackhawk .45 7.5" was my favorite of Ruger single actions. It was blue with aluminum grip frame, which I prefer to the heavy all-steel guns.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

One of my favorite pistols is a short New Model Blackhawk.45 Colt convertible with .45 ACP cylinder. It was especially nice when I had unlimited.45 ACP access. What a fun pistol, and truly capable of filling a lot of roles.

richiecotite, If I were looking for a .41 magnum I'd be searching for a flattop Blackhawk. That will be the slightly smaller frame, as I understand it the dimensions are pretty close to a Colt SAA but also not terribly common. In .45 Colt you can get the flat top but you won't be able to use the really hot loads. The larger frame Blackhawk you can shoot pretty much anything through it. I used to have one in Stainless, should have sprung for a convertible so I could shoot .45acp. I'll get another Blackhawk at some point but I haven't settled on what. Probably a 4 5/8th" stainless flat top .45 convertible or a .44 mag Super Blackhawk.

I'm looking at buying a 7.5" Ruger New Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt. I'm new to these guns so I'm reading a lot.

From what I've read thus far the 2 digit prefix serial number guns are the heavier frames and the 3 digit prefix serial number guns are the smaller frames like the latest New Vaquero. The names and different models are quite confusing but that seems to be the easiest way to figure out if the gun has the larger or smaller frame. Whether that is completely accurate or not I do not know.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Ruger SA and loading my own ammo in .45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    If my memory is correct the blued new model blackhawks have an alloy frame so they are lighter than the stainless. I think blackhawks are great fun gun, great hunting/ field handguns. They are worth hunting LGS for clean used models. I have a Stainless 4 5/8 super Blackhawk in 44 mag. It came with the Blackhawk grip frame; not the dragoon frame. You can tuck your pinkie finger Under the grip the frame or get oversized grips. I have been wanting a Blackhawk 45 colt/45 acp convertible for years
    That explains the 12 oz or so difference in weight between the SS .41 Magnum New Blackhawk and the similar blued .41 Magnum New Blackhawk as listed on the Ruger website.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    If my memory is correct the blued new model blackhawks have an alloy frame so they are lighter than the stainless.
    The blue new model BHs do have an alloy grip frame. However, the new blue flattop Blackhawks have a steel grip frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    That explains the 12 oz or so difference in weight between the SS .41 Magnum New Blackhawk and the similar blued .41 Magnum New Blackhawk as listed on the Ruger website.
    I'm guessing thats a typo, or comparing more differences than grip frame material. 12 ounces is 3/4 of a pound. I dont think theres that much difference between any of the centerfires and the 7 1/2 Super Blackhawk with larger steel grip frame and unfluted cylinder. Think its about 48 oz, the 45 Colt 4 5/8" Blackhawk with alloy grip frame is about 35 or 36 oz, which I think is the lightest of the centerfire Blackhawks.

One aspect of the alloy grip frames on some Blackhawks, they make the gun feel pretty top heavy or barrel heavy, with an odd balance if youre not used to it. The 357s are probably the most noticeable in this regard.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-21-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I'm guessing thats a typo, or comparing more differences than grip frame material. 12 ounces is 3/4 of a pound. I dont think theres that much difference between any of the centerfires and the 7 1/2 Super Blackhawk with larger steel grip frame and unfluted cylinder. Think its about 48 oz, the 45 Colt 4 5/8" Blackhawk with alloy grip frame is about 35 or 36 oz, which I think is the lightest of the centerfire Blackhawks.

One aspect of the alloy grip frames on some Blackhawks, they make the gun feel pretty top heavy or barrel heavy, with an odd balance if youre not used to it. The 357s are probably the most noticeable in this regard.
    You are correct. I, unfortunately, was looking at the SS Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter when I found the higher weight. Sorry. Confusing, these models...
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 01-21-2018 at 04:54 PM.

User Tag List