Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School me on Ruger single action’s...

School me on Ruger single action’s...

Hi friends,

So I’m a pretty much a newb when it comes to revolvers. I’ve got a few and shoot them and enjoy them for what they are. I’ve only owned or shot S&W double action revolvers.

I’d like to add another 41 mag to the safe. My dream would be to take a 8” 57 and have the barrel cut to 5-5” a la Lost Rivers 44mag. I already have a 4” 57.

I also really want a cowboy gun. Not for SASS or anything, just for enjoyment and maybe woods duty)

It seems like ruger is pretty much the go to for a solid single action gun. Figured I’d ask the forum for some info, things to watch out for, etc.

What’s the difference between Blackhawk, new model Blackhawk, vaquero etc? Any issues or recommendations for one vs the other? I’ve seen/read you can change the grip/handle for different shaped ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Do you want fixed sights or adjustable sights?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The "New Model" as applies to Blackhawks is the transfer bar safety system introduced in 1974 I believe, earlier guns are usually referred to as "3 screw" now.

All Ruger single action cartridge revolvers made since 1974 are "New Model".

To confuse the issue, Ruger made a new version of their old Vaquero in a slightly smaller frame, closer to the size of the Colt for the Cowboy Action market. They call it the "New Vaquero". Brilliant.

Vaqueros, in the original iteration, were the same basic frame size as the Blackhawks, but make with fixed sights instead of adjustable, they look more like Colt Single Action Army revolvers (often shortened to SAA) All Vaqueros are "New Model" in regards to their internal lockwork and the transfer bar safety system, regardless of whether "old Vaquero" (larger frame and cylinder) or "New Vaquero".

Ruger has made some models of Blackhawks (adjustable sights) in the smaller frame size similar to the "New Vaquero" in 357, 44 spl and 45 Colt. I believe all the new-ish "small frame" Blackhawks are made and called "Flat top" type, copying a early version of the Blackhawks from the 1950s. Many like them as slightly lighter and more visually pleasing carry guns for the woods. The Flat top is recognized by the lack of small ears alongside the rear sight which have been standard since the late 50s i believe. Some people like that cleaner look and make regular Blackhawks into flat top style with files and other implements of destruction. (Ive done 2)

The full size Blackhawks and older type Vaqueros were capable of handling any of the "Ruger Only" handloads or heavy commercial loads in 45 Colt. The newer smaller frame Flat top Blackhawks and "New Vaqueros" are not considered safe with the heavier level loads in 45 Colt.

In the 50s, when Ruger first made centerfire revolvers, the smaller frame guns ere 357s, the 44 mag was made on the smaller frame, but a few guns came apart, so they made a slightly larger frame, which morphed into the Super Blackhawk. Once they went to the non-flat top frame in the late 50s or early 60s, this frame/cylinder size was then used in all centerfire single actions from 357 on up until the recent changes in the Vaquero line and the flat top Blackhawks.

Thats a basic rundown. Ive been out of the loop for some time. The newer flat top Blackhawks are somewhat interesting to me, but lack specific knowledge of if every newer flat top gun is the smaller frame, so am not sure what the heck I'm looking at online and I give up unless I could see the gun in person.

The grip frames came in two basic sizes, the Blackhawk, and Super Blackhawk, which was longer and usually square backed on the trigger guard. There is also whats termed a "Birdshead" type thats a sort of round butt. You can change grips with aftermarket grips, some being large and oversized but otherwise the size is the size.

Confused yet?
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-17-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Steph - I’m thinking I’d like adjustable sights.

Malamute - heck of a run down! Thank you for that. I have big hands (xxl in mechanix) and want a gun capable of ruger only loads, so it sounds like the vaquero is out, though they are pretty.

I’m not married to 41 mag either, and it seems like 45 colt might be a good choice as well

"I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Or maybe .44 mag? [emoji846]

Super Blackhawk Bisley 3.75”
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Confused yet?
    Easy-peasy, compared to S&W models.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    Steph - I’m thinking I’d like adjustable sights.

Malamute - heck of a run down! Thank you for that. I have big hands (xxl in mechanix) and want a gun capable of ruger only loads, so it sounds like the vaquero is out, though they are pretty.

I’m not married to 41 mag either, and it seems like 45 colt might be a good choice as well
    The Bisley models may work well for you, or a Super Blackhawk grip frame added to any model, or aftermarket grips. My hand hangs off the regular size Blackhawk grips a little on the bottom, but find them the most comfortable all around.

Grip frames interchange on all basic Ruger single actions, even the 22s. There is often some small amount of finish fitting of the edges. From the factory the grip frame is finish ground and polished on the frame its intended to be used on, but Ive swapped several and just ignored the small amount of edge difference if it gave me the combination I wanted. Stainless is simple, can be filed and polished and then theres no finishing work like blued guns. Bisley grip frames or Super Blackhwk grip frames can be swapped onto any other basic Ruger single action. Parts can often be found onine or from gunsmiths.

The original vaqueros are fine for the heavy loads. Theres tons of them floating around used. Probably many still NIB.

Theres also quite a bit of variations of small changes and aftermarket parts available for them. I nerd out on stuff most people probably never think of or care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Easy-peasy, compared to S&W models.
    It gets weird when talking "old vaquero" vs "new vaquero", even though the "old" vaquero is a "new model" (and so stamped on the frame), but its not a "new vaquero". Yes, I just said the old model vaquero is a new model, but in talking vaqueros, the old model is a "new model", but not THE "New Model" vaquero.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-17-2018 at 09:36 PM.

I have been shooting an "Old Model" Blackhawk in .357 Magnum since the late 1970s.
    It is the gun that got me into reloading and shooting NRA Hunter's Pistol Silhouette matches.
    Also the first gun I took a game animal with using a handload. It was a snowshoe hare sitting
    under a pine tree. The .38 Special reload did OK. I could have shot better.

Much later I bought another OM Blackhawk with an auxiliary 9mm cylinder. Hard to run out of
    ammo when you can shoot .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and 9mm (with a change of cylinder) from
    the same gun.

If I'd found a .45 Colt with an auxiliary cylinder in .45 ACP when I had some cash available, I'd have one
    of those as well. I handled a short-barreled .45 Colt many years ago. Nice gun but I wanted the versatility of
    the extra cylinder.

Found a short .41 Magnum New Model some years ago. It has the best trigger I have ever seen on
    a New Model Blackhawk. Has the "Made In The 200th Year Of American Liberty," marking on the barrel.

Rugers are tough, accurate, and carry very well in the woods. Some of mine came with old, worn, Hunter holsters.
    The holsters are still working well although they look somewhat worse for wear after years of use.

I have a 45 acp cylinder for my vaquero, it wasnt factory, I bought it used. It binds up after relatively small amounts of shooting, especially with cast bullets in 45 auto. The headspace seems snug, the base of the shells bind against the recoil shield once the chambers start fouling some. Factory fitted ones may not have that problem. I gave up on it being something Id use much, but like it when on the road, 45 auto ammo is easier to find and cheaper if I ran short of home made 45 Colt loads.

Regarding that cylinder, its often suggested just buying spare cylinders online, but in my case, it didnt just drop in any gun. I tried 3 cylinders in 3 different guns, 1 cylinder fit in 1 gun.

Rugers are fairly simple to clean up trigger pulls on. Many like to put spring kits in them. Great, but springs arent an "action job" as many seem to think.

Having a spare transfer bar around is a good idea. If you dry fire them much they can break. Ive broken 3 over the the years in 2 guns. I stopped dry firing them after that, as mine get carried in the mountains and I didnt want to wonder where the dry fire limit was for breakage. Its a fairly well known thing among cowboy action shooters that dry fire much. Rugers arent as "bombproof" or "bulletproof" as many like to claim. Very good, pretty simple, and not likely to have issues that make them stop functioning, other than dry firing and transfer bars.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-17-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    The few Ruger single actions I have shot as rental guns did not shoot to the point of aim. I would encourage adjustable sights so that he issue is hopefully easily remedied if it arises.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List