Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J frame trigger and hammer pins

J frame trigger and hammer pins

Do the aluminum J frame revolvers have steel trigger, hammer, cyl. stop and rebound slide pins? S&W tech support says yes they do have steel pins. The question had come up about the 642 and 442 in one of the J frame threads.

They also confirmed the 442 steel cylinder is hot salts blued.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

I know for certain the hammer stud is steel and is pressed into the frame. I broke a 442 hammer stud, and worked with Smith support to get the issue resolved and asked a few questions.

S&W does not replace broken studs on the aluminum j-frame. They scrap the gun and send a new serial #.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 01-17-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks for posting this. Asked a few times in different threads and could not get an answer. It popped up in the 442/642 vs 340 thread and I thought this was a pretty significant difference if the 442/642 were aluminum whereas the 340 was steel. Notice different parts numbers on Numrich for these parts between the steel and aluminum models, but not sure why. However, that does show the parts are not milled with the aluminum frame as some have suggested. Thanks.
    Last edited by Willard; 02-09-2019 at 06:25 PM.

A magnet will stick to the pins in my 638. That's how I usually figure out if something is steel or not.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    A magnet will stick to the pins in my 638. That's how I usually figure out if something is steel or not.
    Without pulling the side plate, there is enough steel in the rest of the gun (trigger and internals) that you'll still get the attraction even if the pins were aluminum. So that meant pulling the plate, but I didn't see the benefit. Let's say my older 442 (like your 638 example) was steel. That doesn't help when deciding on current production as there is no guarantee they haven't redesigned the gun to make things more profitable (as with many other changes over the years).
    Last edited by Willard; 02-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    S&W does not replace broken studs on the aluminum j-frame. They scrap the gun and send a new serial #.
    S&W just called me yesterday while fixing my 43c and told me they found a broken trigger stud that they missed when they did my original repair estimate... they said the gun will come back with a small visible pin on the outside of the frame from the repair. They graciously are not charging me more now for the broken stud repair. They did mention I could pay them an additional $280 to refinish the gun in addition to the retiming and fixing the forcing cone ($103) that I’m already paying for. Since the 2 Wolff springs I foolishly left in the gun “voided my warranty”.

I’ll snap a pic when it comes back.
    Last edited by jandbj; 02-12-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    S&W just called me yesterday while fixing my 43c and told me they found a broken trigger stud that they missed when they did my original repair estimate... they said the gun will come back with a small visible pin on the outside of the frame from the repair. They graciously are not charging me more now for the broken stud repair. They did mention I could pay them an additional $280 to refinish the gun in addition to the retiming and fixing the forcing cone ($103) that I’m already paying for. Since the 2 Wolff springs I foolishly left in the gun “voided my warranty”.

Did these aftermarket springs cause your issue(s)? Lesser spring pressures would seem easier on the pins?

If not that's bullshat.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=jandbj;844693]S&W just called me yesterday while fixing my 43c and told me they found a broken trigger stud that they missed when they did my original repair estimate... they said the gun will come back with a small visible pin on the outside of the frame from the repair. They graciously are not charging me more now for the broken stud repair. They did mention I could pay them an additional $280 to refinish the gun in addition to the retiming and fixing the forcing cone ($103) that I’m already paying for. Since the 2 Wolff springs I foolishly left in the gun “voided my warranty”.

I’ll snap a pic when it comes back.[/QUOTE
    Negotiate it.

Pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pic.
    Probably how it should have come originally...

User Tag List