Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Need a Flashlight Recommendation

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I'm just looking at other drop-ins like a Solarforce that advertises 600 lumens at 180 minutes (double the lumens and double the run time of the Malkoff M61 (325lm/1.5 hrs): https://www.solarforceflashlight-sal...put-volt-27-9v

I am not a flashlight geek though, so I am completely aware that I may just be falling for marketing gimmicks.
    Malkoff lumens are substantially underrated compared to other companies using the ANSI FL-1 standard. One of the reasons that Surefire seemed to get a huge output boost in some of their lights was a switch to the FL-1 standard as compared to what most light people used to call "Surefire lumens," which were similar to Malkoff's ratings. However, dropins using a Cree XP-L HI will substantially outperform the XP-G2 LED used in the M61 that you linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I'm just looking at other drop-ins like a Solarforce that advertises 600 lumens at 180 minutes (double the lumens and double the run time of the Malkoff M61 (325lm/1.5 hrs): https://www.solarforceflashlight-sal...put-volt-27-9v
    The Solarfoce is being rated with an 18650 Li-ion cell, which has at least 2.5 times the capacity of the CR123A cells that the M61 is rated with. The M61 on an 18650 cell will easily run longer and remain comfortable to hold (not over heat). Additionally, the Solarforce is not fully potted for shock resistance like the Malkoff and the overall construction is not on the same level as the Malkoff.

If you're looking for a rugged, durable drop-in that you can depend on, Malkoff is the ticket.

I have carried both Surefire and Streamlight for years on and off duty and I like both. Nothing I can say has not already been said by others but I would caution the clicky type of switch on some Surefires. Some have a 2 second delay and can be slow to respond between modes while others have a 1 second delay. I "think" all new Surefire lights have a shorter delay between modes. The Streamlights with the Ten Tap all respond very quickly. The new EDC1/2L-T and the Tactitian do not have the clicky so that solves the issue. Now that the EDC1L-T (500 lumen and TIR head) is out I will begin carrying Surefire and drop my current Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA (350 lumen). That said, the Protac 1L-1AA a phenomenal light and can use both AA and CR123 batteries. The Ten Tap programming is nice and the lights are priced right. The switch is partially protected and I have not had any accidental activations even with the easily pressed switch. I will not be buying the Tactitian as it carries bezel up which shows too much for how I carry in my front pocket. I agree that it may be faster, but not for me. I like the clips on the Surefires more so that than the Streamlights even though some have had bad luck. My clip on the Streamlight(s) I have protrude out and have gotten caught on packs and my clothing. Malkoff would be good to look at for head replacement as they are durable and potted. Arisaka Defense uses them for their stock lights as well. The new Surefire TIR heads have more spill than that of old and Malkoff has a "T" for throw in some of their models that will act as a distance beam with quite a bit of spill from what I have been told.

Have you taken a look on Candle Power Forum? Plenty of stuff to nerd out on over there but lots of guys are white wall hunters and will moan and groan over a 5500k vs 6000k tint or some ring that is only visible in a 65 degree room and Sherman Williams white wall.

Your flashlight needs are exactly the same as my ideal EDC flashlight. Malkoff M61HOT MD2 with high/low switch install meets your requirements with the exception of a pocket clip. I had mine modified with a McGizmo Ti pocket clip, installed by Barry Milton of PrecisionWorks. Not the cheapest route, but it allows for a deep carry, bezel down.

Any recommendations on a flashlight that is basically a stronger Streamlight protac I? I love everything about the light but I just wish it had a little more throw (I think that’s what they call it) and some more lumens. Also I don’t love the high-strobe-low mode. I recently got an olight s1r but the bezel up carry is not for me.
    OP hope I don’t change the topic of your thread.

User Tag List