Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a Flashlight Recommendation

Need a Flashlight Recommendation

This sucks -

I built a FourSevens Quark QTA - based on the build NH Shooter did here - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=Quark - A while back. I have been extremely happy with the light...until it started having reliability issues about 6 weeks ago. The light works'ish on momentary (I have it programmed, turbo -> high only, and head twist out for low). When I have it set to high mode, the light intermittently quits working. I've cleaned the contacts and checked everything. I'm unsure what is wrong. So now while I wait on this light to go and come back from FourSevens (who are in the middle of a management turnover...)...I need a new light.

And frankly, the problem is, once bitten, I'm twice shy. Likely the QTA will go in my bag/car as a backup light, never to be a main light again. Unfortunately, because of the current management turnover - etc. I cannot build another QTA.

So let's get to what I MUST have in a light and what I want:

MUST have proper clicky tailcap with momentary mode.
    MUST put out a lot of damn light (500+ Lumens)
    MUST have a high and low mode - preferably that can be locked out/in like the Quark (head twist)
    MUST NOT have a stupid side switch or "infinity adjustment" ring
    MUST have a pocket clip available, preferably deep carry.

WANT - Single cell battery. The thing I loved most about the QTA setup is that it runs on a single 14500 cell.
    WANT - Reliability
    WANT - Rotary style mode switching
    WANT - Cost under $200

Budget: <$400 ideally under $200. For $400 this thing better fucking work if a tank runs over it, during a nuclear blast. I'm way over complex modes and programming. I want HIGH and low and I want a positive mechanism for switching between them.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-16-2018 at 09:52 PM.

I would say look no further than Streamlight. I’m pretty sure they have a least a few options that would fill all of your needs, and probably well under budget. I really like all of my Streamlight products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    While not quite what you are looking for, the Terralux TT1-EX comes close. 400 lumen high, dual switch tailcap so you can always get immediate high or strobe, easily accessible medium and low modes, good pocket clip, runs on a single CR123. Unfortunately there is no good rechargeable option within my knowledge. For your budget you could buy 3 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Streamlight Protac 2L (or 1L) will get you 90-95% of the way there for about $45.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

How about the new Surefire EDCL1-T?

http://www.surefire.com/illumination...lashlight.html

Meets all of your requirements and wants except for the rotary switching, but in my opinion the switch on this light is the best option on the market. Press lightly for low, mash on it for high.

Mine will be here tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The two that I would have recommended are ruled out by your criteria...

Streamlight ProTac series... you can get high and low with Ten Tap programming, but the problem with the switching, IMHO, is that the option with both high and low available with no strobe option yields a low output for the first press and high for the second. This is great for utility, but crappy for defense. I have therefore set all of mine to high output only.

Fenix PD35... The light output is dictated by a "stupid side switch." May also be larger than what you're looking for. Having said that, Fenix may have some other models that would work. I have been quite pleased with mine for duty use, and several cops I know and work with carry them without issue.

Thanks for this thread and recommendations. I'm looking for about the same exact thing sitting here reading the old flashlight thread. Great timing! But, sorry about your Quark.

I may do something I haven't done in years - I may buy a Surefire - http://www.surefire.com/illumination...lashlight.html

Bezel twist mode switching.

The Protac HL looks close to what I want too.

I will throw my vote in for Elzetta they are hands down 100% american made, modular, tough as nails and guaranteed for life. The 1 cell Alpha is 415 lumens regulated on high and 15 on low. Check them out I have a Bravo 2 cell and plan on getting a 3 cell body for it in the near future to put into weapon light duty on the shotgun. https://www.elzetta.com/product/A113/

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    I will throw my vote in for Elzetta they are hands down 100% american made, modular, tough as nails and guaranteed for life. The 1 cell Alpha is 415 lumens regulated on high and 15 on low. Check them out I have a Bravo 2 cell and plan on getting a 3 cell body for it in the near future to put into weapon light duty on the shotgun. https://www.elzetta.com/product/A113/
    Looking at them, how do you feel about the tail-cap type mode switch? These look like a solid choice!

ETA: Does the High-Low Tailcap have a momentary mode?
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-16-2018 at 10:35 PM.

User Tag List