Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta CX4?

Beretta CX4?

I have a student who has an immediate need for a carbine. She has access to an AR, but it's not working for her, and a shotgun is not a legit option at this time.

I have no experience with the Beretta CX4. Any info would be appreciated.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Have you looked at the new Ruger PCC? I have one and I like it.

edit to add: it can use Glock magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....er%92s-new-PCC
    Last edited by BN; 01-25-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    They are blow black carbines, so chambering the first round can be difficult. If I remember correctly, my wife had a lot of trouble running the bolt on mine when it was new. I haven't shot mine nearly as much as I expected, so I don't know how much they loosen up after they are shot for a while. Having said that, I think they are delightful little guns. They are light, and the length of pull can be shortened or lengthened by changing the number of spacers in the butt stock. Mine came set up to run PX4 mags, but I was able to get the small parts to switch it out to take M92 mags. I only have a few hundred rounds of FMJ through mine, but I've not experienced any problems. I really should shoot it more.

Can you give us some details on why the AR is not working for her?
    Last edited by pangloss; 01-25-2018 at 09:57 PM. Reason: correcting a typoe

Site Supporter
    This is very timely...
    I just bought a CX4 to teach my early-teen sons to shoot carbines. I got the 9mm variety, that takes Beretta 92 mags (of which we have plenty).

We’ve been to the range with it once so far.
    My impressions:
    The good:
    -Fairly light and compact, very easy for small-statured folks to handle.
    -Recoil is light to moderate, and report/muzzle blast is minimal
    -Manual of arms is simple- many similarities to a handgun. Bold release looks and works like a Beretta slide stop. My 12 yr old had no issues running the bolt.
    -Plenty accurate with iron sights - 2” groups at 25 yds
    The bad:
    -The trigger is pretty heavy- feels like 10 lbs, but after a second cleaning and a good lube, it seems a little better in dry fire now. I’ll still probably want the Sierra Papa trigger upgrade.
    -The irons sights are pretty small, and seem quite low. They’re adequate, but we’ve got a red-dot on it now, to be zeroed this weekend.
    -The safety is a clunky, cross-bolt variety, not very easy to manipulate. This is more a complaint than a real problem.

Overall, for your student, it probably depends on why an AR carbine wasn’t working for her. If it was muzzle blast, the CX4 may fill the bill. I’m sure there are other, better options out there, but I’m cautiously optimistic that it’s going to work for my needs.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 01-25-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    If a red dot optic is not going to be used, then I recommend opening up one of rear apertures with a drill bit, like the big aperture on the rear M16A2 sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Have you looked at the new Ruger PCC? I have one and I like it.

edit to add: it can use Glock magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....er%92s-new-PCC

This is an immediate need thing as in her stalker is getting out of prison next week immediate need. I have yet to see a PCC in the wild.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    This is an immediate need thing as in her stalker is getting out of prison next week immediate need. I have yet to see a PCC in the wild.
    I got mine from Brownells on a preorder, but they show out of stock right now.

Site Supporter
    Also, for what it’s worth, Ken Hackathorn seemed to be a big fan of the CX4 for home defense, especially by non dedicated personnel. He used one himself when demoing clearing a shoot house during a home defender class I took some years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CZ Scorpion evo3 pistol or carbine version might fit her needs.

My scorpion pistol has never malfunctioned in 2900 rounds and even with very weak reloads for testing. Shooting buddy has one with at least 4K suppressed and non with no malfunctions of any kind.

Stock trigger is heavy but serviceable, safety selector on right side will bite larger hands but will most likely not be an issue for her.

Can be found for $850-1100 depending on how it is set up.

If you have a Academy Sports and Outdoors in your area they may stock them (they do in my area).

I wish I was local for her to try it out.

My sc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    This is an immediate need thing as in her stalker is getting out of prison next week immediate need.
    Several years ago (2013?), Brent Yamamoto, an instructor for Suarez Int'l, spent a good bit of time working with the CX4 and evaluating it for defensive use. There were some good threads on Warriortalk as well as some blog posts on the Suarez site. Definitely take a look at that info, as Brent's evaluation was more of a prospective study than a casual after the fact impression of shooting a CX4. As far as I know, his is the best available info on the CX4.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

User Tag List