Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Power Variable (1-4) for a PCC?

Low Power Variable (1-4) for a PCC?

I have a Scorpion carbine that I love. It is wonderful and one of my favorite guns hands down. Right now I have an Aimpoint Pro on it. I sometimes like to shoot it at 100 yards for the hell of it and I am finding that harder than I'd like because I've noticed that in order to actually see the dot I have to turn the brightness up so much that it's not a dot anymore it's a starburst. I don't know if it's my eyes or the lighting conditions of the range I go to but either way I am not super thrilled with that.

I had thought about perhaps getting a red dot magnifier for the Aimpoint but then I remembered that right now with the new hotness being the 1-6x and 1-8x low powered variable optics that are hitting the market there are some pretty screaming deals out there on some of the older 1-4. I can get a Trijicon AccuPower 1-4 for $600-ish which is actually cheaper than the Aimpoint Pro and Magnifier combo and potentially even easier to use.

My question is; is anyone else running a 1-4 or 1-6 or something like that on their PCC? And if you are what optic are you using?

Second anyone have some good deals on some of the 1-4x's out there?

For USPSA or something else?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I like LPV's for all around carbines. YMMV, but for me at 100 and in I much prefer a RDS. I am much faster with it, in addition to it being easier to use off the non dominant shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For USPSA or something else?
    I used to shoot USPSA but I haven't been to a match in over a year and a half and I sometimes tell myself I'm going to go back to it but this is mainly for dicking around with at the range. It'd be kind of nice if I could use it for USPSA too though; then if I ever get back into it I can pretend that's why I bought it in the first place

If a range toy, use whatever floats your boat. For USPSA, a red dot is the way to go. For defensive use, a red dot probably better matches the potential of the cartridge.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If a range toy, use whatever floats your boat. For USPSA, a red dot is the way to go. For defensive use, a red dot probably better matches the potential of the cartridge.
    I don't have the time to practice as much as I'd like so I have long ago given up on placing well so even if I do start shooting USPSA it's still going to be a range toy.

If you want something good that you can use on an AR if the PCC application doesnt work out then Steiner P4Xi. Cheaper option is Burris TAC30.

Most of the cheapy LPVs have crap glass/plastic and not uncommon to find focus problems at one end of mag range.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    If you want something good that you can use on an AR if the PCC application doesnt work out then Steiner P4Xi. Cheaper option is Burris TAC30.

Most of the cheapy LPVs have crap glass/plastic and not uncommon to find focus problems at one end of mag range.
    I was thinking one of the Trijicon AcucuPower 1-4 specifically this reticle in green
    https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...RS24-C-1900002

Because I can get it for $600 right now which isn't bad. Might even get it for less if I can find some coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post

Second vote for the P4Xi. It's the best, and least expensive option to get into the 1-4 world IMO. The Glass clarity, coupled with the function is excellent. The reticle is if you put a set of crosshairs/simple BDC with an aimpoint dot. Very smart setup for the least amount of money. Get the 5202, it has the free throw lever for literally the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I was thinking one of the Trijicon AcucuPower 1-4 specifically this reticle in green
    https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...RS24-C-1900002

Because I can get it for $600 right now which isn't bad. Might even get it for less if I can find some coupons.
    I would skip the Green, you'll find the Trij Accupowers both 1-4 and 1-8 are much cheaper than the red variants and there's a reason for that. The Green is not daylight bright in more than a few situations.

I once again recommend the P4Xi. I'll buy it off you if you hate it.

Mrgunsandgear:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRm4rU2bK3Q&t=188s

It also mad his top 5 for 2017. Which is pretty serious if you see all of the things he reviewed, including the accupower 1-4.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2GRm5sXVQ4&t=625s
    Last edited by navyman8903; 01-21-2018 at 05:39 PM.

User Tag List