Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New laptop

New laptop

Third time wife's laptop has been in the shop. First time they had to reinstall the OS, second time they didnt put the correct OS key into it, Today it is like windows wont boot up.
    Looking for a recommendation on a new computer. She is a windows user so I want to stick with that.
    She needs to do the following:
    1. Check Email, we use outlook
    2. Pay bills
    3. General internet surfing.

I realize this may not meet your requirements, and I am not sure how Windows handles the web version of outlook, but i went to a chromebook 3 years ago, and have never looked back....and this from being a die hard, nothing but Windows user for decades, even including my phone.

I have never been more trouble free in my use of tech. I can access all Windows programs via web, several apps for misc use, and with Dropbox as my storage system, everything is available all the time.

I only mention this to say if you are even thinking of going that direction, it has worked out very well for this particular "old man curmudgeon".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am a Linux user, but that isn't your question. (nor is Chromebooks, etc. etc.)

Everything you list, is basic software that comes with Windows. (last time I looked, depending on your use of Outlook)
    How does she pay bills? Online, or some sort of special software? What other software does she use, as that is really the more important question, otherwise based on what you wrote, I would get the cheapest one that fit my task and figure out if it is worth the repair cost next time. (just keep good backups) Because going cheap, tends to mean shorter lifespan, but that still is the most cost effective for some.

Site Supporter
    I beat the shit out of a cheap Lenovo Ideapad for four years before it started slowing down. It was used 10-12 hours a day for work plus everything else my better half and I need a computer for. I just upgraded to a higher end Thinkpad because the company offered to buy one. For your wife's needs I'd look at the Ideapad. Right now you can get a 17" with a number pad(I loathe laptops without a numpad) starting at $399.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/c/IdeaPad

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop.../p/88IP1000780

What's the budget? What screen size does she want/need? I'd recommend 1920x1080 resolution minimum. So many economy laptops come with low res/high fatigue displays.

There are added perks of touchscreen/stylus/folds-into-tablet if the budget is there.

I've used a $200 Samsung Chrome Book for 4 years to do the simple things you mentioned.

For the uses you described I would consider ditching windows. Dell Chromebooks are solid and updates are easy and painless.

Alternatively if you don’t need a laptop take a look at an iPad. It’ll also do everything you described.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

For those uses chromebook its what Im on now it take a little getting used but will do pretty much everything a window or mac will with the exception of image / video editing and video games. Its basically what you would get if your smartphone and a laptop had a baby.

Site Supporter
    My wife uses an iPad for the purposes you describe.

iPad.

Repeat - iPad.

IOS and Mac OSX are the most reliable/user friendly/non-power user capable operating systems out there. iPads and Macbook Airs are virtually indestructible relative to the average low-end PC or Android device.

(Caveat) I have been a Mac OSX user for 10+ years and IOS for 7+ years - In that time, the number of times I've seen Android and/or Windows devices go down is innumerable. I have a 10-year old Macbook chugging right along. Last time I saw a 10-year old PC running, was...never.

Windows and Android have two issues in my opinion 1) Architecture that is easy to exploit and thus security issues. 2) No proprietary control over hardware or developed software. Both are issues facing long-term reliability.

User Tag List